Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

Hey guys! I finished some "clamps" that go on the woven / braided belt. You can either buy them from Shapeways, or download them and print them some other way!

View attachment 640574

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G...t-clamp-1?optionId=60261836&li=shop-inventory
https://www.shapeways.com/product/4...t-clamp-2?optionId=60261884&li=shop-inventory
https://www.shapeways.com/product/T...t-clamp-3?optionId=60261913&li=shop-inventory

Here is the belt piece as well. It is not 100% screen accurate. As I said before, my modeling skills are very, very limited. So, if you're in a rush, it's a start.

View attachment 640581

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CJ8L4QWJT/?key=e5dbdf3904815e2fdb3d6bc7ee08d347

I may just be thoroughly inept, but I can't figure out how to download the belt ring or cloak clasps from Shapeways. How do you do that?

I didnt have a chance to take pics. My camera was being a jerk so I just went ahead and started making the mold. The silicone rubber is curing right now. I'll post pics of the Master tomorrow and probably the "finished" cast. I plan on having these up on Etsy by the end of the week (at the latest). I've already had a good handful of people asking me about the finished one.
The Guardian
I sent you a message. The files should be fixed.

I decided to mold the cord "plug" things along with the main body. Hopefully the holes of the plug come out correctly. I would hate to have to remold the piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
( bbonds007 )

So, for the armwrap trims... after studying pics for a while, I came to the conclusion that the blue and black are velvet, so I got these two deals from etsy:

Black and a pretty much perfect medium blue that I scoured the entire site for (accurate color is way. too. difficult!)

I also bought this blue/black/gold braid trim from the same seller... it's a wee bit thinner than the other two (3/8 inch rather than 1/2), but it should be fine. I was looking at this braided trim before I found that stuff, and, while it is nice, I think it's just too bright and in-your-face to go well with the outfit. The other stuff is much more subtle. Though the actual trim is probably somewhere in between the two. Oh well -- I did my best. ;)

One more note on that -- the seller is in Thailand or some such far away land, so it looks like it's going to take 2-3 weeks for the items to get here to the U.S. Happily, I've got the time since I'm aiming to wear my costume for the midnight premiere of the movie, but that's just something to keep in mind for anyone on a tight schedule.

I'm still looking around for trim for the cape... I have absolutely no time for embroidery, so I'm going to deviate somewhat and go with some cotton lace or some such trim. Not accurate, but it'll save me lots of heartache and I'm all for that.

Any recommendations for cape trims? I'm all ears. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
14269453_10202274718146313_1154994639_n.jpg14256410_10202274718066311_19424442_n.jpg14281391_10202274718026310_66847056_n.jpg14287551_10202274718106312_851822957_n.jpg14218044_10202274717946308_902266839_n.jpg14269512_10202274717826305_1788734044_n.jpg14287622_10202274717906307_455940187_n.jpg14256389_10202274717866306_1726926276_n.jpg

I'm not sold on the color, so I'm going to order brass powder or something similar from Smooth-On.

Did anyone see on the FB group the photos of the screen used costume?! This cosplayer got to HANDLE IT. He got to hold up the cape! I shared it on my FB page if you all wanna look. Might be harder to find on the RPF group.
(Search GabiDoesCosplayStuff on FB and you'll find me)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Did anyone see on the FB group the photos of the screen used costume?! This cosplayer got to HANDLE IT. He got to hold up the cape! I shared it on my FB page if you all wanna look. Might be harder to find on the RPF group.
(Search GabiDoesCosplayStuff on FB and you'll find me)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

WOW! This is the motherload of amazing pictures! Thank you so much for telling us about this!!!

https://www.facebook.com/geekgatsby/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1184567468230428

I got mine in the day I came back from DragonCon...the colors are way off so I will probably use Rub'nBuff, I think...
14303742_10207338578085844_913428721_o.jpg

Stainless steel and Matte Gold Steel
They were the only metal options when I ordered, but thanks so much for the tip on Rustoleum. That is what I will use then.

14205984_10153904978973581_3354933061800232294_o.jpg
I couldnt wear my cape brooches since I didn't have a cape, but this is what we managed for Dragoncon. I even managed to print out most of his belt hardware as well, and was very pleased with how it came out. The hand props got the most attention, and sadly, both took less than 2 hours to make. Many people weren;t sure what it was from yet, but that it looked familiar probably because they only caught a glimpse of it in trailers or various filming pics.

Highlight of Dragoncon though was Frank Brunner, old time Dr. Strange comic artist wanting to wear my amulet, and me getting a pic with him. I also had him sign the back of my amulet as well.

That looks awesome Gargeee! You did a really good job, especially with the belts. Im curious what you ended up doing with the back of the blue robe? Looks like you put a slit somewhere in the back? I thought that might of been the case with the real version but we really do not have any good photos showing it yet.

I think it's called a jacket vent. I have several long jackets (like my duster) that have them. It makes a longer wearing item easier to walk, run or sit in. I *think* we spotted it in one shot. I don't think the pleats extend to the back, but without photo reference, that's just a guess. Since the cape is so bulky and probably heavy, I'd think they wouldn't add much back detail other than embroidery or such. I was really pleased with the belt. I think I need to lower the front ring peg an inch, and I have mostly 1" nylon belts, but I think they actually used 1 1/4" belts all around. My lower belts are just scavenged from goodwill... I hope to find more accurate ones at some point, but they are fine for now, I think. I also saw a better reference on the front ring which shows it has a lot more detail, so I'll add that and reprint at some point. It also looks like both rings have a finger trigger on them. I didn't see some of them when doing my models. People were amazed by my rings, but I couldn't really wear them because I had the hand props on. I'm happy with how they look, but I'd like more detail on them, since I have the reference now.

How do you iron on a pattern on velvet?

I've just started to pull all of the pieces for this cosplay, found the perfect materials and currently have someone working on the 3d Modeling for a few pieces. (will post links to Shapeways when complete)
Also for the cloak I am using a heavy velvet and ironing in the patterning as opposed to using multiple designed fabrics of the same color.

Does anyone have any decent images of the rings at this stage?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back