Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

Alright, so the big question at this point for me is, how in the name of everything holy do you attach the collar to the cloak itself? Can anyone point me to a tutorial for this?

((Also, how do you make your profile picture show up beside your posts in the forum? I feel like I seem "amateurish" without mine showing lol))

Hey all! Haven't been costuming much lately but I finally decided on a new costume to make, and Doctor Strange it is! Fem version, of course, but it's basically going to be the same design soooo... that's a thing, right? ;)

Anyway, a huge BRAVO to everyone working on your awesome costumes!! Lookin' great.

Now, I'm definitely on a budget here, but trying to do the best I can under something like 50 or 60 bucks. We'll see how that goes. So far, I've refashioned a pencil skirt and jacket set that my grandmother gave me into the main tunic (the fabric and style is kind of perfect, so I'm pretty psyched about that).

View attachment 657561

That was when the "skirt" was just pinned, but it's finished now. Just have to hem the armholes and that'll be done.

My grandmother also donated some dark navy pencil skirts that I'm planning to refashion into the base tunic (with the sleeves, etc). Yes, my grandmother owns way too many clothes but it works out great for me as a budget cosplayer. :D

For the cape, I know for a fact I'm going to have to go with a much simplified version... I bought some pretty suiting fabric from Joann on a whim a week ago, but I just keep staring at it and I think I've come to the conclusion it's too thin. It's the perfect color, nice weave, a little stretch... but it's kinda lightweight.

So, on that note, @The Prop Lord, I might have missed your comments on the cape fabric you purchased on etsy, but, what did you think of it? I'm considering following your lead... hahah.

And then all that's left to worry about are the accessories -- I'm planning to purchase this Eye of Agamotto -- I think it's smaller than the movie prop, but, as I'm much smaller than 6-foot Benedict, I'm hoping it'll still look convincing. Still on the search for a pair of inexpensive boots (I want to do combat style heels), and also keeping an eye out for belts. Oh, and I bought a gold cape clasp from Joann (also kind of on a whim), which I just dunno about... they could work, but totally not screen accurate. We'll see. Budget, remember? ;)

Hm, I think that's it. Definitely looking for any recommendations for cloak fabric (lining or main) from you guys. Again, great job, y'all! All your costumes are looking fabulous!

Looking good!

Yes, the fabric from Etsy is, the bomb. Absolutely awesome. I just haven't had a chance to work on my cape yet. Or any fabric parts for that matter. lol

If you have access to a 3d printer, I can send you my files (for personal use).

20160825_153736.jpg

I'm *almost* finished! Just need to figure out the Eye, sashes/belt buckle, and wing clasps!

Sorry the picture is sideways. I can't figure out how to rotate it.

Whereas I'm trimming my beard tomorrow - full costume test, including the black rinse to make my old grey hair look like Doctor Strange's! :)

I'll post photos of the full costume tomorrow. Please be kind! :angel

Thanks for the kind words all, the embroidery on the cape was from the file that Bardon posted earlier! The woman who does my embroidery said that the design was masterfully done! I ran some red braid trim between the emroidery designs to get the snaking design, the edging was just ric rac trim.

I did the checkerbpoard pattern using heat embossing on silk velvet, I effectively cut 1" squares out of craft foam and and glued them onto a poster board making a giant stamp.. I then laid the fabric pieces over and embossed with an iron. The same goes for the smaller pattern except I used 1/2" inch pre-cut foam adhesive squares. I didn't used much velvet. It is hard to tell, because i cut them before I embossed them.

I used every bit of 4 yards for the cloak lining.

Hey all, I just decided to start working on this project. I've been going through this thread and you've all done amazing work. My sister has started working on the cloak based on everything here. My task is the tunic and vest. I don't sew but am willing to learn. Any ideas on where to start for the pattern? I already saw some fabric ideas posted.

Thanks!

Hey all, I just decided to start working on this project. I've been going through this thread and you've all done amazing work. My sister has started working on the cloak based on everything here. My task is the tunic and vest. I don't sew but am willing to learn. Any ideas on where to start for the pattern? I already saw some fabric ideas posted.

Thanks!

I usually start my projects with a normal t-shirt as a size reference. I've got a huge roll of butcher paper that I draw all my patterns on.

For the most part, men's clothing, will always look like men's clothing. Women's, will always have the base form of women's clothing. There may be minor changes, but the main difference in all of them, is where you want to add more seams lines. Change the curve or the angle, while keeping the base form the same, will always produce the same "shirt", it will just have more or less detailing.

-So, I take a t-shirt that fits me (or a client), flip it inside out, fold it in half, and draw that half of the shirt (sleeves included).
-After that, draw all of the extra details. account for roughly 1/2" of edging for each piece (so you can sew them together).
-Label EVERYTHING. Make notes to yourself on each piece if you have to. Draw different shapes on the cut lines so if you forget where something goes, you can line up a "star" or smiley face.
-Use Gütermann thread if you can. I swear by it. I have used other brands in the past, but I now that one prejudicely. I have them for the past 6~ years sewing.

I have used Brother sewing machines and "killed" 2 of them inside of 4~ years. I've been using a Singer Heavy Duty for the past 2~ years and I think it is just now requiring oil/lubricant.

As for actually making the tunic and vest. I have no idea yet. I haven't worked on the pattern yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shapeways does such an excellent job printing! My Master is coming along great!

I'm thinking about Cold Casting the pieces. I don't know if I should use Brass or Bronze for the main "body" of the necklace.

I also found Copper powder on Amazon. The thing is, in the images, it appears more "gold" than copper. Which is why I'm even considering Copper.

https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Powde...1_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E547HXNHFD8K4CJKGRMY

Oh, and I'll post pictures of my Master later today. It's 4:30am here.

EDIT: I wonder if the item was meant to say "brass" because everywhere else, Copper, looks like Copper.

It looks like Brass is absolutely what I need to use. I might go ahead and order some from Smooth-On.

Last edited:
How's the costumes going, peeps? Long time, no updates.

So, I've purchased some velvet and braid trims from Etsy for the arm bands, which I think will be pretty screen accurate. I can share links if anyone is interested. The widths might be too small for a man's size, but they'll be perfect for me as a bit of a smaller person. ;)

I also ordered this Eye of Agamotto, and, again, it might be too small for you larger people, as it's not the same size as the original. But I think it might look better for me.

Started working on the cape yesterday, using the fabric I got that The Prop Lord recommended (which is just great). Working on a mockup of the collar -- since it's such a crucial look/part of the cosplay, I'm being very very very OCD about it. Nothing saddens me more than a slouchy collar. :p

Soooo yes. I'll post some pics soon hopefully. :)

2 months minus 1 day until the premiere, guys!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I've purchased some velvet and braid trims from Etsy for the arm bands, which I think will be pretty screen accurate. I can share links if anyone is interested.

Yes please! Links would be awesome!

A warning to all, I tried to buy this stuff for the arm wraps. I purchased two different times and they sent me the same wrong color twice. Clearly their inventory is wrong but their customer service is horrifying and I don't know if they will ever send me the right stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SHZ90LU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am almost done with all my blue parts (shirt, vest, pants). The vest has been an absolute pain to make, I must have over 100 hours into making that thing alone. Just so much detail and trial and error involved.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back