Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    Apr 19, 2016, 1:34 AM - Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #1

Hello, everyone! I have been a member here for a little while, and am very thankful for those of you sharing your talent through patterns and advice.

My husband and I are relatively new to the whole idea of cosplay, but we've been bitten by the bug and pull out all stops once a year for the local ComicCon.

I bought a sewing machine last year, and have been teaching myself how to use it. I've also bitten off a huge commitment for making costumes: the Con is three days long, so I have decided three costumes for each of us is eminently reasonable (!). In addition, I told a friend I would make her a Jedi Cloak.I just have to hem the cloak and stitch on the hook-and-eye closure and that's done...

My main concern is that I want to recreate the Benedict Cumberbatch version of the Doctor Strange character for my husband. I began by collecting as many different textured utility and woven materials as I could, that were in the same color family. I wound up with some fabric that I thought was going to work out, until I actually found 60+ photos of his shoot in NYC. It was then that I discovered 1) I believe there are at least 2 different capes- one for grubbing around on the ground, and one for fancy photo shots, and 2) that the fabric they used for is cape appears to be some sort of knit that has some sort of waffle patternish thing woven into odd sections, and 3) they seem to have cut the thing into what appears to be three sections, kind of on the bias....so it hangs better, maybe? I haven't found a photo that really gives me a good idea of how it's been stitched in the back, save for a shot where he's spending a bit of a break with his wife while on set.

At any rate, I'm at the point with the two materials that I have selected for the main body of the cape...and I realize it's simply not going to work because it's not the woven stuff; it's curtain-or-upholstery fabric. Curses! The only good thing about having to find something with a bit more of an open knitlike weave is that it will have that suitably Tibetan-esque feeling when I begin adding the trimmings and the braid along the edges.

I've nattered on enough- apologies. I'm a little nervous about this, because I wan it to turn out well. My question is: his cape is rounded along the bottom/back, but not along the sides. Does anyone know if I cut the material in a half-circle, will it give that cascade effect? Or do I need to cut it in a half-oval shape? Any ideas?
    Apr 19, 2016, 9:43 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mads-mikkelsen-benedict-cumberbatch-dr-strange-set-26.JPG 
Views:	1213 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	616597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mads-mikkelsen-benedict-cumberbatch-dr-strange-set-24.JPG 
Views:	1711 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	616596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mads-mikkelsen-benedict-cumberbatch-dr-strange-set-15.jpg 
Views:	933 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	616595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mads-mikkelsen-benedict-cumberbatch-dr-strange-set-10.jpg 
Views:	781 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	616594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mads-mikkelsen-benedict-cumberbatch-dr-strange-set-05.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	616593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doctorstrange-run.jpg 
Views:	841 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	616592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benedict-cumberbatch-films-doctor-strange-in-nyc-first-pics-01.jpg 
Views:	845 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	616591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-in-costume-10.jpg 
Views:	1040 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	616590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mads-mikkelsen-benedict-cumberbatch-dr-strange-set-41.JPG 
Views:	1434 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	616598

I dont think the cape is rounded, here are some photos to help you visualize the cap a bit more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3320332500000578-0-image-a-43_1460529830916.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	616584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-in-costume-01.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	616585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-in-costume-02.jpg 
Views:	780 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	616586  

Name:	benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-in-costume-04.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	616587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-in-costume-05.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	616588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-in-costume-06.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	616589  

3. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    Apr 19, 2016, 10:04 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #3

Thanks for your response! The reason I think the cape is rounded (at least at the bottom) is because of the way it cascades a bit- you can see it in the second photo from the left. Do you see how the cape edge ends mid-thigh, then sort of drapes in waves? You don't get that effect if it's cut in a rectangle. I have a feeling they rounded it so it flares and has more movement.

I think I'll keep an eye out at thrift stores for some double-knit fabric, and I'll experiment on different drapes and shapes. Once I do that, I can let everyone know what I found.
    From
    Worthing, United Kingdom
    Apr 19, 2016, 11:11 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #4

Well... I wish you the best of luck. You're taking up quite the costume here as a starting seamstress. I'm not doing it because I know I can't do it (and I don't have a sewing machine anymore). I hope it will work out for you!
  5. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    Apr 19, 2016, 1:15 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #5

Thank you- I know this costume is going to be quite the challenge. If I can find a decent knit, I think I have a chance.

A better chance than trying to replicate a BBC costume, at any rate! I tried to put together a War Doctor costume for my husband, and ended up stitching the waistcoat from upholstery fabric in order to fake the aging fabric. The gaiters still don;t look right.
  6. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Apr 26, 2016, 11:02 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #6

I've just started to pull all of the pieces for this cosplay, found the perfect materials and currently have someone working on the 3d Modeling for a few pieces. (will post links to Shapeways when complete)
    Also for the cloak I am using a heavy velvet and ironing in the patterning as opposed to using multiple designed fabrics of the same color.

Does anyone have any decent images of the rings at this stage?
    Last edited by Moa Hunta; Apr 27, 2016 at 3:39 PM.
  7. Apr 27, 2016, 2:48 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #7

I am going to start on this build as well. I have patterned the cloak and am in the process of evaluating fabrics and techniques to achieve the texture effects. Has anyone idenified the base shoe or boot. It looks to me as though the shaft is a custom add on to an existing shoe/boot, very much like how they did the starlord boots. Any ideas as to the base shoe?
  8. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Apr 27, 2016, 3:38 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #8

Hi Wilhelm,
    Did you go with a cloak that was flat at the bottom or curved?
    Any chance I could have a glance at your pattern?
  9. Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    Plano, TX
    Apr 28, 2016, 11:57 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #9

What material did u choose for the vest and undershirt
  10. Apr 28, 2016, 1:07 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #10

It is absolutely a curved bottom, a flat bottom simply won't drape the way it does in the pics. I'll see if i can take some pics, when I have it all laid out. Here is a rough sketch that give a general idea as to what I think the shape is

Moa Hunta said: View Post
    Hi Wilhelm,
    Did you go with a cloak that was flat at the bottom or curved?
    Any chance I could have a glance at your pattern?
  11. Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    Plano, TX
    Apr 28, 2016, 7:47 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #11

Can you tell me what material you have choose to use for the vest / jacket for the first time I noticed that on his jacket there is a different type of material that outlines his emblem.. your thoughts? I am trying to get this costume made and I was given the task of picking the material I don't know anything about doing that !
  12. Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    Plano, TX
    Apr 28, 2016, 10:12 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #12

Can you tell me what material you have choose to use for the vest / jacket for the first time I noticed that on his jacket there is a different type of material that outlines his emblem.. your thoughts? I am trying to get this costume made and I was given the task of picking the material I don't know anything about doing that !
    From
    Raleigh, NC
    May 1, 2016, 7:39 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #13

Hello everybody, I am also working on the suit and still trying to research the parts. I have been trying to figure out the extras before I get into the suit since it looks like nobody really knows what to do with all the details. I have contacted several custom outfit folks and all of them are terrified of this outfit. Luckily I know how to sew, so guess I will be doing my own work as well.

Will try to keep up with this thread as much as I can so maybe we can all help each other? I am curious about how do you iron the pattern? I have an idea in my head that may be the same principle as the ironing that I thought about trying, but would rather do something that makes more sense and not a random thought in my head lol.
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    May 1, 2016, 7:43 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #14

Wow, calm down Rchan202, we don't check this every hour. One post is often enough.
    For the robes underneath I am currently working with a quilted royal blue drill cotton that should come out ok.

-----

If anyone is interested, My modeller has finished working on the cloak lapel pieces.
    These should be available through Shapeways shortly. Currently only available in metal while we finalize design and go through testing stages.
    These will be released in Nylon/Plastic later on if this model works
    Left half (http://www.shapeways.com/product/6QN...i=shareProduct)
    Right half (http://www.shapeways.com/product/8CB...ionId=59812036)
    Yes I'm away these should be different for left and right, no I don't have enough time to make the necessary adjustments.

Name:	doctor strange cloak rear.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	620693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dr strange cloak shapeways render.png 
Views:	382 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	620694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one of each.PNG 
Views:	493 
Size:	528.2 KB 
ID:	620695  

Last edited by Moa Hunta; May 1, 2016 at 10:36 PM.
  15. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    May 1, 2016, 8:09 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #15

Scouser said: View Post
    I am curious about how do you iron the pattern? I have an idea in my head that may be the same principle as the ironing that I thought about trying, but would rather do something that makes more sense and not a random thought in my head lol.
    Hi Scouser,

I am able to do an iron pattern due to the fact that I am using velvet as my external material.
    This will not be possible if you are using the heavier materials that are super accurate. (Looks like maybe a herringbone cotton or something, idk.)

The velvet ironing pretty much squashes the light material to create a different reflectiveness/shade
    To do this place your velvet on a 3d design and quickly and firmly so as not to melt the fabric, iron over it.
    This will squash the velvet that sits on the design and leave the gaps.
    (see http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...mbossed-velvet)

Name:	Doctor-strange-benedict-cumberbatch-3-copy.png 
Views:	276 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	620715  
    Last edited by Moa Hunta; May 1, 2016 at 8:15 PM. Reason: adding velvet embossing instructions
    From
    Raleigh, NC
    May 1, 2016, 8:29 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #16

Ahh, thank you for the information. Very similar to the idea I had, just had not thought about how to execute it. I was thinking along the lines of wood burning, just not with that tool or actually burning at that high of temp... I also did not think about the type of material beyond velvet.

I did find somebody locally who is willing to try the cloak edge work for me in machine embroidery so I am excited about that. I just need to figure out the rest of it and how to duplicate it.

Wish I had bigger fabric stores locally so I could just find something close and go with it. I would be more than willing to toy with some techniques or ideas if I had a good lead on material. Hopefully I will have time to shop this coming weekend for materials.
  17. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    May 1, 2016, 8:36 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #17

rchan202 said: View Post
    I noticed that on his jacket there is a different type of material that outlines his emblem.. your thoughts?
    I thought I was going to be one of few who noticed the very light design work on there.
    It looks like some sort of embroidery or something? I'm not too certain but the cloak sits over it so I wasn't going to worry about it.
  18. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    May 1, 2016, 9:29 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #18

Scouser said: View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of wood burning, just not with that tool or actually burning at that high of temp... I also did not think about the type of material beyond velvet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv-FNHjs9oY

You can do it this way fairly easily but great to hear about the brave soul doing the embroidery!
  19. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    May 1, 2016, 9:35 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #19

I have been trying to figure out what the base shoe used for his stuff is. It looks like there were some added blue fabric strips going through some D rings. But I am sure that is an alteration to the original shoe.
  20. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    May 1, 2016, 11:10 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #20

Boot images.

Does anyone have any ideas for base shoes? Maybe a link to an store that stocks similar?

Name:	Boots Front.PNG 
Views:	488 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	620759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boots side.PNG 
Views:	740 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	620760  
  21. Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    Plano, TX
    May 2, 2016, 7:33 AM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #21

LOL Sorry about the double posting, I didn't realize I had sent twice.. and thanks for the response!
  22. May 2, 2016, 3:41 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #22

I am so happy some on has the same idea as me. I immediately thought of embossing velvet as soon as I saw the patterned pieces on the cloak. The trick will be making a template for the embossing. For some of the pieces, I may use a technique called devore, which uses acid to etch the velvet into a relief design. i did that for the trim on my All-New All-Different Doctor Strange, cloak and it turned out pretty cool. I think I will use a herringbone wool for the non-textured pieces.

I am able to do an iron pattern due to the fact that I am using velvet as my external material.
    This will not be possible if you are using the heavier materials that are super accurate. (Looks like maybe a herringbone cotton or something, idk.)https://thefabricofourlives.com/imag...erringbone.jpg

The velvet ironing pretty much squashes the light material to create a different reflectiveness/shade
    To do this place your velvet on a 3d design and quickly and firmly so as not to melt the fabric, iron over it.
    This will squash the velvet that sits on the design and leave the gaps.
    (see http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...mbossed-velvet)
    http://www.threadsmagazine.com/asset...-velvet-05.jpg

23. May 2, 2016, 3:45 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #23

I was thinking either linen or canvas drill for the under tunic. For a while I was convinced that the "owl" was painted on, but as I look at the more detailed pictures it looks like It is a different fabric all together. Love the clasp pieces!

Wow, calm down Rchan202, we don't check this every hour. One post is often enough.
    For the robes underneath I am currently working with a quilted royal blue drill cotton that should come out ok.

-----

If anyone is interested, My modeller has finished working on the cloak lapel pieces.
    These should be available through Shapeways shortly. Currently only available in metal while we finalize design and go through testing stages.
    These will be released in Nylon/Plastic later on if this model works
    Left half (http://www.shapeways.com/product/6QN...i=shareProduct)
    Right half (http://www.shapeways.com/product/8CB...ionId=59812036)
    Yes I'm away these should be different for left and right, no I don't have enough time to make the necessary adjustments.
    From
    Raleigh, NC
    May 2, 2016, 9:35 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #24

Boot images.

Does anyone have any ideas for base shoes? Maybe a link to an store that stocks similar?
    Been trying to narrow those down as well since I figure if I can't even find the boot, why am I trying to do the rest lol. I first thought they were paratrooper boots with a special toe added. When I was in the service one of my co-workers was a parajumper and had style kinda close, as in the laces go closer to the toe than normal combat style boots. But then I figured the lines on the toe caused that to be an illusion.

I was praying Adidas made a boot to make this easier since the toe looks like their shoes.....of course not, too easy right? I have searched US, Russian, South American, Canadian and Chinese boots but still nothing with that toe pattern. I started again to think it was added, but then if you find just the right images, the tongue of the boot has the same lines in it. I was thinking why would they go through the trouble to add the lines to the tongue when you won't see it?

There is also the issue of the lead designer, Alexandra Byrne, who loves to custom make outfits BUT if time is an issue will buy items off the internet (her own words even) and did this for Guardians of the Galaxy. When she does this she likes to order from China and modify. I would assume the leg area if all custom, but the rest of the boot is hard to say.

I have an image that shows most of the bottom of the shoe so you can see the pattern. It is VERY similar to the classic Nike SFB, but not quite the same pattern. I figured if the sole pattern can be identified -OR- the etch mark on the outside heel, we can figure out the company that makes the boot and go from there on the rest of it. I have searched for images with the heel being clear enough to get any idea what it says....no luck. It's small, so thought 5.11, but could not find a boot that looked like the image. I did not think of checking boot soles to see if 5.11 was similiar.....doh. Maybe I will have time tomorrow?

Anyway, sorry I can't be of much help.... still trying to work on it though when I have bad weather days I can't do much else.
    Last edited by Scouser; May 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM.
  25. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Wellington, New Zealand
    May 3, 2016, 8:32 PM - Re: Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question #25

Now that the lapel clasp models have been completed we are beginning work on the Eye of Agamotto.
    This will be printed in 2 halfs so that I can access the middle and possibly rig with LEDs depending on how much time I have spare when it arrives.
    It will be created in Nylon/plastic and painted and sanded when it arrives.
    Here are the first couple of progress pictures and a couple of HD reference pictures also.

Final model uploaded
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/KK...281915f1d12471
    Still needs to arrive, at which point I will be spray painting sanding, and ageing, and assessing the option of installing LEDs.

Name:	dr strange pendant wip render.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	563.6 KB 
ID:	621352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dr strange pendant wip render2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	621353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front HD.PNG 
Views:	179 
Size:	452.7 KB 
ID:	621354  

Name:	Left.PNG 
Views:	206 
Size:	628.1 KB 
ID:	621355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dr strange pendant render -final.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	500.6 KB 
ID:	622764  
    Last edited by Moa Hunta; May 8, 2016 at 9:21 PM. Reason: Additional image