ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

clembot

Since the Rey open thread was such a success, and now that we've all seen this...

...Let's get a-plannin'!

HELPFUL RESOURCES:

Super high-resolution cast photo (recommend bumping up the exposure to see more details)

Laubi's gallery of toy fair costume photos (click through for hi-res, lots of great detail shots)

Gallery 2 of toy fair costume photos

Possible right placket vest greeblie/hook: Rok Straps 'Contractor Grade' octopus strap hook

Gloves: Black Diamond 'Stone Gloves' (modified for costume)

Sidearm: Luger P.08 (with similar flash suppressor to Rey's TFA pistol)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.24.37 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.24.37 pm.png
    276.7 KB · Views: 1,070
Last edited by a moderator:
Very hard to get a still frame of these particular shots but I'm getting real "1970s ski parka" vibes from the vest/jacket - I knew Gareth Edwards would come through with the "late-'70s sci-fi thriller" mood!

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.37.25 pm.png

Front stitching detail - looks like diagonal top-stitch and then maybe even a hand-basting vertically along the front placket and armhole?

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.48.34 pm.png Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.48.12 pm.png Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.53.21 pm.png

Stitching/quilting on the back is real nice, too - almost like Canadian/lattice smocking:

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.41.24 pm.png Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.50.20 pm.png

Last edited:
Very hard to get a still frame of these particular shots but I'm getting real "1970s ski parka" vibes from the vest/jacket - I knew Gareth Edwards would come through with the "late-'70s sci-fi thriller" mood!

View attachment 612231

Front stitching detail - looks like diagonal top-stitch and then maybe even a hand-basting vertically along the front placket and armhole?

View attachment 612235 View attachment 612236 View attachment 612237

Stitching/quilting on the back is real nice, too - almost like Canadian/lattice smocking:

View attachment 612232 View attachment 612234

I got that feeling from it as well - the 'parka' type - so I'm looking at polyester and polyester/cotton blend fabrics, thinking about what something like that would be made of. It looks relatively matte in most shots, but in the shot where you see the group walking out of the hangar bay (starting at about 00.58 into the trailer video) there appears to be a sheen on at least the front. That the shot is of them stepping outside into natural light (low light, maybe cloudy, but natural light none-the-less) could account for why a sheen would be visible there and not in other shots that show the jacket under florescent lighting, or in close shots, etc. That there's a look of wear really visible on shots of the back, something that seems to affect colour particularly, makes me think that the fabric could be one that really does have a slight sheen and some of the loss of that is due to a wearing process done to show age.

All of this is a COMPLETE guess on my part, though, so someone please correct me if I'm way off.

I'm think about ordering swatches of these fabrics, based in part on looking at my spring-weight parka and product descriptions, just so I can see them up close and in different lights. I'm not sure if the fabric of the back of the jacket is different than all those present on the front, or if the differences visible would be accounted for by lighting in different shots and wear patterns, etc, entirely, so again I appeal to the expertise of others on that one.

https://www.denverfabrics.com/p6319_23852-raisin-brown-faille-jacketing

https://www.denverfabrics.com/p78476_27737-chocolate-brown-jacketing

This is a real bad ass costume.

It almost reminds me of the concept art for rey a bit - very Solo inspired.

LOSING MY MIND OVER HERE. We'd gone so long with only one still, I was really starting to think we'd never have anything better to go off of until the movie came out. So glad we got this trailer today. Okay, I know we've all seen it, but it's still such a great look at her costume that I'm posting it here as well. Maybe that first post could be used to compile all of our current references? Just so it's easy to keep track? I loooved the Rey thread and it was so helpful but it always pained me that it wasn't well organized.

Rogue-One-Star-Wars-cast-photo-header.jpg

EDIT: Also maybe we could ask LadyNerd to do a turn around sketch of her costume once we get the images together? I know her Rey was a fantastic help to everyone. I don't know how much she charges, but we could all pitch in and make use of it? Idk, just a thought.

The pants look to be made from maybe Gabardine? Doesn't look heavy enough to be Canvas or Denium? And it seems to be the same fabric for the pants as for the jacket, based on this picture.
5X5czv8.jpg

I so want to make her costumes! She certainly seems like she's going to be an amazing character, Han Solo-like with a dash of class. :D

Going to get cracking on that belt and holster setup immediately. Here comes a full day of clicking and pausing an HD copy of the video.

-Arcko
Let us know what you come up with! I've been trying to work it out but there are still a few question marks...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back