ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

I think I figured out this dagger hook business for Eadu. They're still VERY expensive, considering Eadu requires 6 of them, but they're cheaper than the $39-$450 bucks the vintage ones go for, don't you think?

They're just called "dagger snap hooks" and they are reproductions of those seen on German dagger holders. A couple places are selling them, and the cheapest I found were $7.99 by Landser Outfitters, but they only had 3 of them in stock.

http://www.reddickmilitaria.com/german-ww2-dagger-parts/dagger-snap-hook/

Somebody's got to make the Eadu hat. My attempts to modify a Soviet military hat failed. The fabric was too thick and the quilted ribbing didn't come out as I had hoped.

Somebody's got to make the Eadu hat. My attempts to modify a Soviet military hat failed. The fabric was too thick and the quilted ribbing didn't come out as I had hoped.

I just ordered a $12 plain green cap off ebay. I'm thinking of buying premade quilted fabric, dyeing it the right color, and putting it over the top of the cap. I'll keep everyone posted on how it ends up.

Discovery in the Facebook Jyn Erso group: In addition to the ZT Lange boots, the TII also have an almost identical toe buckle.

There's a listing here, but they're expensive. http://www.ebay.com/itm/YELLOW-LANG...759767?hash=item1a2e0d1817:g:GEcAAOSw-89ZQBym

lange-tii-28-ski-boots-clean_1_f2f2264b65343658fa2d0956db73491b.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know who on here will find this useful at this point, but I thought I'd post this tutorial I made for Jyn's vest. :) If any of you look through this and find errors, please let me know. I had a massive headache when I wrote it and even after several reads I might have missed something. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxEa-HzgIdFldVNhY1lKX19kMTA

Looks good to me. One tiny nitpick - I thought the pockets were twill, not nylon, but either way yours looks amazing. And thanks for the tutorial - I've been stalling on the vest (had a paying prop gig!) so I hadn't gotten past the pattern stage. The info on how to do the quilting is exactly what I was trying to figure out. :)

Looks good to me. One tiny nitpick - I thought the pockets were twill, not nylon, but either way yours looks amazing. And thanks for the tutorial - I've been stalling on the vest (had a paying prop gig!) so I hadn't gotten past the pattern stage. The info on how to do the quilting is exactly what I was trying to figure out. :)

Hey, thank you! The quilting was incredibly easy, just a little time consuming. And I agree, photos of Jyn indicate the pockets are made of twill, and I also thought the front flap was made of twill. The RL standards say the front flap should be "made of the same fabric as the front of the vest", and for me, the front is made of nylon. I thought it would look weird if the flap was nylon but the pockets were twill, so I decided to make the pockets nylon too. There's no indication the pockets should be any particular fabric in the standards, so I just went with nylon, and was still approved. I guess it's up to you!

Super super happy with how my goggles are turning out! I did paint them with a mix of Americana multi-surface acrylic paint in Dolphin and Craft Smart multi-surface acrylic paint in Silver Gray, but with a sparse brush. Added VERY little black paint too. Tabs and elastic from TheMechanic, and helping techniques from Restill! (Hat isn't final.)

19113800_10156129074365752_6528736106457201222_n.jpgIMG_4330-1.JPGIMG_4343.JPG

Better view: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVbZlBCHif4/?taken-by=erinnstagram_

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: somewhere I saw a tutorial on how to curve the leather for the holster belt, but I can not find it again. Anyone know how to do this? I remember it involved dampening the leather but I can't remember the specifics.

There's a great post in the Jyn Facebook group about belt curving. (Apr 19, search "belt")

TL;DR Soak, clip in place, wear all day, slowly stretch to where you want it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any blaster recommendations? I need one now to finish my belt so I can take my time building a good one. Props aren't my forte but I want to take my time on this. I have the airsoft luger (likely not con safe) and would like to build a metal shroud, I just don't know how yet. I have the Traywick designs tonfa. The blaster looks like the dark ring in the middle of the barrel isn't raised,and some of the ones on etsy I question the quality. If rather a kit so I will have some work of my own in there.

I'm still working on making the Traywick tonfa screen accurate.
FB_IMG_1497892090161.jpgFB_IMG_1497892084925.jpg

Finished the scarf. I just want to wash it a bunch of times and add some weathering. I did the topstitching on my antique Singer Treadle, it gave me a better topstitch with the heavier thread than my really expensive modern machine :lol

scarf001.jpg

Eadu Jyn mouthpiece / oxygen mask -

Okay. So I think I may have ID'ed the oxygen mask. I stared at military oxygen masks for a LONG time thinking it was military but this one (Ausilium Oxygen Therapy Mask) appears to be the correct shape and has the nozzle at the correct place. The good news is, it's inexpensive and many sellers have it. Also it's clear so it may take to a rusted coppery color well and has the silver band at the top! The bad news is the tubing is wrong (perhaps the correct tubing can be placed on it, though?) and it will need the metal pieces (perhaps these were added on anyway?). What do you guys think?

It seems to be cheapest on Amazon for just under $5. I ordered one since it seems worth a shot, will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/Ausilium-Oxygen-Therapy-Mask-Tube/dp/B00F37BS2E

il_570xN.1231862164_a761.jpg s-l500-1.jpg

Edit: @jeniwan noted that the mask is VERY similar to Han and Leia's in ESB. It also appears to be similar to Rey and Finn's in TFA.
@laserbrain wrote this about the mask in 2011, "The mask was a hospital nebuliser mask...the tubing was from the same source...just not the modern slimmer tubing. If I remember correctly, I used 22mm flexitube.....I think."

If this is correct, the Amazon link is correct.

19756695_10100573990265854_2917764918099718565_n.jpg 5bf7c26d3b50e3b1c0c3c7e25d8e5c5d.jpg

Further edit: Just got the mask in! It is 100% the same mask.

20108273_10156256363905752_6234812616386276287_n.jpg

il_570xN.1231862164_a761.jpg

s-l500-1.jpg

19756695_10100573990265854_2917764918099718565_n.jpg

5bf7c26d3b50e3b1c0c3c7e25d8e5c5d.jpg

20108273_10156256363905752_6234812616386276287_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone got any fabric ideas for the concho?
As much as I'd love to have a genuinely waterproof one, SoCal is not conducive to that at all.

Really close to completed, though I want to make a better, second version of nearly everything. A lot of it comes down to if I find better fabric options. I'm going to tweak my jacket color and try silk screening the stripes again, but, this is where I'm at so far. This was taken at Dragon Con.

verajyn004.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back