ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Vest Hose Connectors
This is still a work in progress but here is my current work on the hose greebies on Jyn's Vest. The webbing and hook are from the M60 rucksack harness, the hose is 4 mm Beadalon hollow rubber tubing which comes in 5 meter lengths. The clips and connector are my own design and 3D printed. The ultimate version will be black plastic. Because I spend so much time looking at magnified images these seem too small but the proportions seem to match to photos. However I would appreciate any comments or criticisms from people who have spent just as much time on these details as I have and also have "fresh eyes" and an less invested perspective.
View attachment 707692

Thanks for this (and everything you have added to this discussion.) I ordered the tubing based on your recommendation, and I am happy with what I have. It is my intention to hand stitch the hoses together from the backside to give the impression they are one connected piece. Did you do something similar?

I have two critiques ....

1. There shouldn't be any red exposed at the shoulders ... Not a huge deal, and depending on how it fits, you may not even ever notice it when it is on.
2. Looking at yours made me realize I am missing the webbing under the storm flap ... :( Thanks a lot ... ;P

Otherwise looks great ...

Thanks! Yes, I was wondering about that red showing around the armholes. I'm looking at the few pictures I have of myself wearing it, and the red does show on the top of my shoulders. I'll have to see if some pressing or stitching may hide it. Is it possible that the armholes are faced with the exterior material?
And reading your post reminded me I've got to add the webbing under the arms...

Thanks! Yes, I was wondering about that red showing around the armholes. I'm looking at the few pictures I have of myself wearing it, and the red does show on the top of my shoulders. I'll have to see if some pressing or stitching may hide it. Is it possible that the armholes are faced with the exterior material?
And reading your post reminded me I've got to add the webbing under the arms...

From what I have seen of the original, it looked to me as though they were faced on the inside. That is how I will be constructing my wife's vest.

Straycatt at the current time I have not connected the individual hoses together. The clips and connector hold the hoses close together at the end points but are free in between. In my tests I have used 3/4" wide, black, vinyl electrical tape on the back to hold them together. This width come up a litttle on both outside hoses but I do not think enough to be noticeable. The tape adhesive is strong enough for my tests but I am not sure how it will hold up to moving around such as at a convension. If the tape does not work my next approach will be to temporarily hold the hoses together on the top with the tape and coat the back and the webbing with rubber contact cement (or Barge cement as it is stronger if that is needed). On the left front I have the impression those hoses are not attached to the vest other than at the top allowing them to swing free. In that case I would cement the back of the hoses to a piece of the tape to make it more like a single unit.

Your idea of sewing the hoses to the webbing sounds good (but probably beyond my skill lavel to do neatly). I like the idea of something less permanent that cementing. I have a beading foot attachment for my sewing machine but I am not sure it will handle something as large as the hose and it would probably require two-four passes. But hand sewing through the left front hoses every few mm is something I am going to test. A heated curved needle might be necessary as the hoses are pretty stiff.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have seen of the original, it looked to me as though they were faced on the inside. That is how I will be constructing my wife's vest.

I've saved this photo that shows the facing on the inside as well as the webbing under the arm.

vestgreebliebelowarm.JPG

Just got my blaster and baton kit (as well as one for Rey's blaster) from Traywick Designs, looks amazing!

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town for work the rest of the week, and I have to work this weekend, so I can't get started on it! :(

Just got my blaster and baton kit (as well as one for Rey's blaster) from Traywick Designs, looks amazing!

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town for work the rest of the week, and I have to work this weekend, so I can't get started on it! :(

I also bought the Traywick Designs kit and think they look fantastic! I've been working on them since last weekend and found the Dupli-Color sandable scratch filler and primer works wonders on filling the lines made from 3-D printing. I don't know what your plans are for preparing the kit, but if you haven't tried sanding them yet, the plastic is really difficult to smooth out on its own.

I also bought the Traywick Designs kit and think they look fantastic! I've been working on them since last weekend and found the Dupli-Color sandable scratch filler and primer works wonders on filling the lines made from 3-D printing. I don't know what your plans are for preparing the kit, but if you haven't tried sanding them yet, the plastic is really difficult to smooth out on its own.
Do you know if it is ABS or PLA? If it is ABS, there are some simple tricks to accelerate the process. I have been printing my own (or rather my wife's) out of ABS, and the cleanup is tedious, but fairly easy. Still need to print the baton though.

And thanks for that image. It is the clearest shot I have seen of that detail piece. Here is where my wife's vest is at currently ...

vest.jpg

You can also see the belt, holster, and blaster I knocked together ... (Still need to paint the blaster)

Do you know if it is ABS or PLA? If it is ABS, there are some simple tricks to accelerate the process. I have been printing my own (or rather my wife's) out of ABS, and the cleanup is tedious, but fairly easy. Still need to print the baton though.

Traywick Designs prints only in PLA to prevent toxic dust inhalation. I can also say that my dremel was giving me trouble on the prints as well; to be fair, my dremel, though brand-new, is absolute junk. I used 220 and then 440 sandpaper grits after using the 2-in-1 sander/primer and I had a nice smooth finish. I've since sprayed another coat over them, so they still need more work.

Last edited:
I've been stalking this thread for a while now :p But I've decided that I really needed a Jyn costume in my life (my first non Empire costume). I'd like to throw out a massively huge thank you to smithjohnj for their amazing research, you've made my build so much easier as well as making me realise I need to document more of the things I count/measure in the future for other costumes :)
I have a strange habit of always trying to make as many parts as possible, so I'm made the majority of my greeblies out of sintra and small scraps of pvc.
I finished my boots a few weeks ago, but I thought I'd share the result. I used some combat style boots I found on sale for $30. Made the panels out of leather that I had laying around after making a pattern with tape. I used a small (I know they're really supposed to be square) metal buckle that was laying about, added two squares of EVA foam and a small piece of metal. Then I used an exacto to get the smaller details of the buckles. The flaps are glued on the inside of the boot and they close with velcro on the sides. I used Angelus Leather Dye in Dark Brown, Black and Capezio tan to obtain the color. Eventually I want to weather the whole costume to get a bit more of a dirty/muddy look, but I'm going to wait and see what kind of pigments my boyfriend is going to use on his Shoretrooper, so we don't have massively different shades of brown.
bootiest.jpg
(last picture is without flash)

I've been stalking this thread for a while now :p But I've decided that I really needed a Jyn costume in my life (my first non Empire costume). I'd like to throw out a massively huge thank you to smithjohnj for their amazing research, you've made my build so much easier as well as making me realise I need to document more of the things I count/measure in the future for other costumes :)
I have a strange habit of always trying to make as many parts as possible, so I'm made the majority of my greeblies out of sintra and small scraps of pvc.
I finished my boots a few weeks ago, but I thought I'd share the result. I used some combat style boots I found on sale for $30. Made the panels out of leather that I had laying around after making a pattern with tape. I used a small (I know they're really supposed to be square) metal buckle that was laying about, added two squares of EVA foam and a small piece of metal. Then I used an exacto to get the smaller details of the buckles. The flaps are glued on the inside of the boot and they close with velcro on the sides. I used Angelus Leather Dye in Dark Brown, Black and Capezio tan to obtain the color. Eventually I want to weather the whole costume to get a bit more of a dirty/muddy look, but I'm going to wait and see what kind of pigments my boyfriend is going to use on his Shoretrooper, so we don't have massively different shades of brown.
View attachment 709122
(last picture is without flash)

I'm really impressed that you created your boot buckles with EVA foam. They look great! I'm also impressed by the dye job. The colors turned out really nice. I actually just bought a pair of Frye Veronica combat boots from eBay yesterday for just under $100, but I do need to dye them, and I've got a ton of extra Angelus leather dye left over. I'm hoping I can get a color as nice as yours! I originally bought $28 boots from Amazon that are already the perfect color, but they're synthetic. I'd rather play with real leather. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your build!

Thank you Restill! I used a small sponge to paint the leather, mixing the lighter shade in with the darker one and letting each layer dry (it dries so quickly!). I try to finish one piece a week so I can eventually get the costume done next to any other projects I have laying around. I finished modifying a pair of Black Diamond gloves (next to my weapons I think the most expensive part of my build thus far) but they fit a bit, oversized on the sides of my palms, but overall not a bad pair of gloves compared to making my own from scratch.
20170209_115752.jpg
(I ended up doing the seam allowances inside out by hand to make them more snug)

I also finished my trousers, but I haven't really gotten a decent picture of them. I used a fairly basic high waisted cigarette pants pattern for them, cutting the pattern in 4 parts on the figure darts. It was rather easy, since I already had a fitted 4 part trouser pattern laying around for my Seventh Sister build. I took 1cm of extra space to make the pleated portions below the knee, making a fold of half a cm for every pleat, stitching it with a thin thread to keep it in place, pressing them towards the side they have to go and then top stitching it with a thicker thread. I used a very stretchy soft denim for them, it's a very dark shade of grey, but I think I will just wash them a few more times to make them fade a bit. The buckle is also slightly off, but again it's what I had laying around, might replace them, or drill a hole in the end cap.They're super super comfy though, so that is a big plus! Here's a close up of my pleats (chalk included lol)
pantsu.jpg

For the rest, I've almost finished my shirt, but I wanted to let the collar sit for a bit until I'm confident the shape is right. And I'm slowly, but surely, getting towards finishing my vest. I used a soft cotton for the back/pockets, a nylon for the front and I'm using different widths of twill tape for the Alice webbing/Name tag. I made the waistband greeblies out of small scraps of Sintra and I'm going to attach the larger card like piece with velcro. I'll do the green screen printed jacket at another time, since I still have some hard leather bits to sew and I always hate that, plus I'm hoping to have finished it before the end of March so I can wear it to a convention, it will for my sake of completion include putting some make-up over my colourful underarms ;)

Here's the current status of my entire build;
20170223_201956.jpg20170223_201631.jpg

Still playing around with dyes, but I think I'm on the right track. I'm very conflicted on my fabric since the first one I got felt too thin, but the next feels too thick like a bull denim.
I just got in a silk screening kit today to try my hand at printing the stripes as well.

jacket002.jpg

Hello all, sorry to ask an odd question but I'm vegetarian and am not entirely comfortable buying Jyn's leather gloves new. Any ideas on where I could buy them used? I tried ebay but there are no used pairs in my size... Any suggestions?

I've been doing a lot of research on building this costume together and this thread has been incredible. Thank you all for your contributions. Right now I am working on the holster/belt & boots. I've come across a pretty good photo for the closure and I thought I'd share it. Still trying to figure out if it is Velcro closure? It is however located on her side as recently confirmed. Also looks like there is a metal piece on the left side of the closure? As for the blouse fabric, it totally looks like a really soft denim in this photo. Weird.

star-wars-rogue-one-jyn-erso-jacket-vest-750x750.jpg

Last edited:
Vest questions -

1. Does anyone know what kind of flap is used under Jyn's arm?
vestgreebliebelowarm.JPG

2. Does anyone know the material used for the top rectangles on the vest? I thought they were leather, but they might be fabric?

3. Does anyone know which snaps are used for the gloves?

Thank you! Sorry to be so needy!

With regard to the flap under Jyn's arm please see post #547 (which gives a link to an eBay example) and #626 (which is on page 26) on this thread.

I believe most people are using brown dyed webbing for the top rectangles. I originally thought they were Velcro strips such as those used on modern military garments for name tags but that does not seem to be correct.

I do not believe the glove snaps are ever visible as the tops are covered by the leather strap. In looking at the images I have collected the most I can say is the snaps are round and are approximately 1/3 the width of the strap.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back