ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

I've now modelled the knurled baton (or at least I think it's a baton...). Available to download free at Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1480152

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 11.57.20 PM.png

Here's another (very average) grab from the trailer - definitely looks like some sort of flat loop?

View attachment 613228

It sounds so illogical but a rectangle ring with the belt folded through it and held closed by the 2 sets of 4 snaps we see? The belt seems to just ret on her hips, really. Why they would do that really makes no sense at all, it seems like it would be more hassle than anything else to take the belt on/off

Dave

belt back detail 2.jpgbelt back detail.jpgTwo more slightly different of the belt back. Now I am even more confused because one looks like an open square ring, the other looks like a finished end.

Happy to report that my experiments with gabardine for the pants are comical - it's too thin! They're flapping around like pyjamas :lol

But I did have a lot of success replicating the pleated panel that fans out from the centre seam beneath the knee (my sewing is zoomed in on the right, obviously):

leg detail.jpg

Each pleat comes in at 0.5" and there should be around ten between the centre/"shin" seam and the side seam. It's quite a close-fitting ankle, too, which suggests there might be a hidden zip somewhere given it doesn't appear to be stretch fabric.

Last edited:
Wow you guys are amazing! New here and to see the pro's breaking this down to the max is way over what I have ever tried.

They look like custom Chino trouses, It looks like chino is a type of fabric, I Just looked up gabardine and they do look similar. As Im writing Im guessing everything has a thickness/weight does that make the name chino and gabardine the same fabric just a different weight? Any way that could be a good next stop. My attemt to pitch in :)

You pleats look great Clembot.

Humbly
Canny

This is fantastic! I've ordered some samples of stretch twill and stretch denim to give it just a little more ease without drastically changing the drape. But I agree there is probably some other closure along the bottom of the leg.

I'm really big on having at least a pattern to start from and then I can edit it as heavily as need be. I went to Joannes today hoping to find patterns and fabric, and at least I think I narrowed down patterns.

For the top I'm looking at butterick 6132. It's darkness and carries the general shape, without a zipper. View B should be wide enough to still pull over my head and bust based on the offered measurements for the bottom of the shirt. The overlapping neckline piece looks like it's held together by a magnet based on a few views, all easy edits.

For the pants I'm looking at Burda 7123. It's got the nice wide waistband, but a side zip that will have to be moved to the center and that waist band overlapped as well. It is also missing the front seams, but that's an easier fix. It's got a skinny/cigarette leg, but might require even more tailoring in.

Sadly no fabric today though. Boo.

For the pants I'm looking at Burda 7123. It's got the nice wide waistband, but a side zip that will have to be moved to the center and that waist band overlapped as well. It is also missing the front seams, but that's an easier fix. It's got a skinny/cigarette leg, but might require even more tailoring in.
I used 7123 - learn from my mistakes and don't try to size up the legs, mine look like clown pants!! But the seam is easily added (view A has that option, you just stitch the crease shut).

I used 7123 - learn from my mistakes and don't try to size up the legs, mine look like clown pants!! But the seam is easily added (view A has that option, you just stitch the crease shut).

xD gotcha. I think I'm going to add the strap and the pleated pieces on as their own pieces to keep my pants fit looking as neat as possible. So glad someone else has used this pattern. Burda patterns always make me nervous.

xD gotcha. I think I'm going to add the strap and the pleated pieces on as their own pieces to keep my pants fit looking as neat as possible. So glad someone else has used this pattern. Burda patterns always make me nervous.
I'm thinking - after experimenting this weekend - that may be the way to go; the pleated piece is inevitably going to be heavier than the other pattern pieces, no matter the fabric, so it drags down on the upper leg. It might be better as an 'applique' piece. (And yes you're on the money with the strap being added later.)

It sounds so illogical but a rectangle ring with the belt folded through it and held closed by the 2 sets of 4 snaps we see? The belt seems to just ret on her hips, really. Why they would do that really makes no sense at all, it seems like it would be more hassle than anything else to take the belt on/off

Dave

So as typical with the Star Wars universe, I feel the closure actually mirrors that of a Jedi belt with the folding elements seen below here:

il_fullxfull.814968653_225p.jpg

Additionally, what appear to be snaps actually look more like eyelets than full snaps. Could be wrong, but in the shots from :09-:11 in the trailer, you can catch the little bits of darkness in the interior of the dots. Again, without a high res photo to go on, they could go either way.

Belt-Back-1.jpg

Food for thought. :)

-Arcko

It could be like the accent belts HOWEVER, I see no buckle there which would be needed AND I see no belt keepers either. I think the snaps are just weathered snaps, hence the dark and light spots. Until we get a better look at that left side, there is no way to know for sure, just speculation. Like I speculated, as of right now the belt seems extremely illogical.

Dave

So as typical with the Star Wars universe, I feel the closure actually mirrors that of a Jedi belt with the folding elements seen below here:

View attachment 613779

Additionally, what appear to be snaps actually look more like eyelets than full snaps. Could be wrong, but in the shots from :09-:11 in the trailer, you can catch the little bits of darkness in the interior of the dots. Again, without a high res photo to go on, they could go either way.

View attachment 613780

-Arcko

View attachment 613779

View attachment 613780

-Arcko
Could be snaps (on skived belt ends) to close, with a very close-fitting and wide keeper over the top? And you're right, they do look like eyelets at the rear. Hmmm...

My pair of Black Diamond gloves arrived today. These things a freakin' substantial! I applied some of the brown colored Pecard's leather treatment and the color change is negligible (as you can see in the photo the right hand strap). I imagine they used mink oil which I'll try as soon as I find mine. I'm also going to use them for yard work to break 'em in.20160411_211405.jpg

My pair of Black Diamond gloves arrived today. These things a freakin' substantial! I applied some of the brown colored Pecard's leather treatment and the color change is negligible (as you can see in the photo the right hand strap). I imagine they used mink oil which I'll try as soon as I find mine. I'm also going to use them for yard work to break 'em in.View attachment 613960

I THINK I read somewhere that Mink oil will rot out leather over time? Do you think the Pecards can build up a finish?

That may be, but I don't think long term use was a concern for the wardrobe team. One thing that popped into my head as I was considering the side effects of mink oil, was saddle soap. that may add the color we're looking for over a period of time. I think the pecards would build up a finish, but it would take a long time. I'm going to try the saddle soap. Even if it doesn't give us the look we want, the gloves will be butter soft. I'll post pictures when I'm done, but I think this process is going to take a fair bit of time no matter what is applied to the gloves.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back