Fabric Textures - Examining Captain America (Avengers) and Black Widow (AoU)

kiyominai

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone,

I wanted to talk about the textures seen on superhero suits. Specifically the texture found on Captain America and Black Widow's costume.

I've been in the screen printing business for a couple of years now and I have learned so many things about the fabrication of costumes, so I thought I'd share some insight about them. I won't be going too in-depth with this subject, but any information I present here are things that have been subtly touched on in articles available to the public.

Let's get started.

Here is a photo of Captain America's suit from the Avengers movie; it is a bit difficult to see but there is some kind of texture printed on the fabric, it's more visible on the darker blue parts of the suit. See those light blue texture? That is actually just screen printed texture.

aBjdSbb.png

This has led some people to believe that the fabric on this suit is possibly of ballistic nylon material, as seen on the TFA suit. That is incorrect. It's possible that the folks behind the suit wanted to replicate the texture of ballistic nylon or kevlar, but the fabric is just a matte nylon spandex...with printed texture. Thankfully, I was able to obtain a fabric swatch of the Avengers fabric suit

Here it is from afar:

4uOOmzl.jpg

ZyWBz6Y.jpg

A little closer:
k70OzMG.jpg

And really close!:
NWlgbkk.jpg

This type of texture can also be found on the Black Widow costume as well (Age of Ultron)
981JidF.png

For the purpose of comfort and budget, the fabrication process of costumes have evolved. Costume designers would rather replicate texture so they can use spandex for the purpose of mobility.

As Judianna Makovsky said after completing the Winter Soldier costume worn by Chris Evans, "he (Chris Evans) didn't even take it off during lunch." Using screen printed fabric that replicates the look of kevlar is a step up from using actual ballistic nylon.

A lot of people here think that costume designers spends thousands on just printing the fabric when that isn't true. If you find a screen printing company, you'll know that their rates vary by quantity per print in addition to the design set-up fee. The higher the quantity of prints, the lower the price of each print. Example: if you request a quantity of 10 shirts to be printed, you could be charged $25.00 each shirt. But if you request a quantity of 20 shirts to be printed, you could be looking to purchase each print for $20.00 each.

Screen printing texture is a real budget saver. In fact, the reason why the Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit was screen printed is because urethane was just too pricey.

Texture can be found in many other superhero suits these days. I have a lot of fun printing out textures on fabrics and I hope this helps someone out there.

P.S. No one I know uses silicone printing, especially for raised texture the reach beyond 2 mm.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to talk about the textures seen on superhero suits. Specifically the texture found on Captain America and Black Widow's costume.

I've been in the screen printing business for a couple of years now and I have learned so many things about the fabrication of costumes, so I thought I'd share some insight about them. I won't be going too in-depth with this subject, but any information I present here are things that have been subtly touched on in articles available to the public.

Let's get started.

Here is a photo of Captain America's suit from the Avengers movie; it is a bit difficult to see but there is some kind of texture printed on the fabric, it's more visible on the darker blue parts of the suit. See those light blue texture? That is actually just screen printed texture.

http://i.imgur.com/aBjdSbb.png

This has led some people to believe that the fabric on this suit is possibly of ballistic nylon material, as seen on the TFA suit. That is incorrect. It's possible that the folks behind the suit wanted to replicate the texture of ballistic nylon or kevlar, but the fabric is just a matte nylon spandex...with printed texture. Thankfully, I was able to obtain a fabric swatch of the Avengers fabric suit

Here it is from afar:

http://i.imgur.com/4uOOmzl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZyWBz6Y.jpg

A little closer:
http://i.imgur.com/k70OzMG.jpg

And really close!:
http://i.imgur.com/NWlgbkk.jpg

This type of texture can also be found on the Black Widow costume as well (Age of Ultron)
http://i.imgur.com/981JidF.png

For the purpose of comfort and budget, the fabrication process of costumes have evolved. Costume designers would rather replicate texture so they can use spandex for the purpose of mobility.

As Judianna Makovsky said after completing the Winter Soldier costume worn by Chris Evans, "he (Chris Evans) didn't even take it off during lunch." Using screen printed fabric that replicates the look of kevlar is a step up from using actual ballistic nylon.

A lot of people here think that costume designers spends thousands on just printing the fabric when that isn't true. If you find a screen printing company, you'll know that their rates vary by quantity per print in addition to the design set-up fee. The higher the quantity of prints, the lower the price of each print. Example: if you request a quantity of 10 shirts to be printed, you could be charged $25.00 each shirt. But if you request a quantity of 20 shirts to be printed, you could be looking to purchase each print for $20.00 each.

Screen printing texture is a real budget saver. In fact, the reason why the Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit was screen printed is because urethane was just too pricey.

Texture can be found in many other superhero suits these days. I have a lot of fun printing out textures on fabrics and I hope this helps someone out there.

P.S. No one I know uses silicone printing, especially for raised texture the reach beyond 2 mm.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Super helpful info. Is there any chance you could recommend some good screen-printing companies with reliable service, an eye for accuracy, and reasonable prices~? I mean, I know there is YOUR company, but I assume your work with the studios prevents you from doing similar stuff for fans without producing a conflict of interest... :)

Super helpful info. Is there any chance you could recommend some good screen-printing companies with reliable service, an eye for accuracy, and reasonable prices~? I mean, I know there is YOUR company, but I assume your work with the studios prevents you from doing similar stuff for fans without producing a conflict of interest... :)

I can only suggest you find a local screen printing company and push them to try out texture printing. Some micro managing might be required though so be prepared to do a lot of tests.

I can only suggest you find a local screen printing company and push them to try out texture printing. Some micro managing might be required though so be prepared to do a lot of tests.

Ah, okay. I assume this is so that you can visit regularly and check on the outcome of the prints without messy delays shipping samples back and forth~?

Ah, okay. I assume this is so that you can visit regularly and check on the outcome of the prints without messy delays shipping samples back and forth~?

Yep that's right! It's also a great opportunity to encourage screen printing companies to try out new ink.

Yep that's right! It's also a great opportunity to encourage screen printing companies to try out new ink.

Would we need to create said pattern themselves and provide it to the company? Or could they extrapolate the pattern based on up-close/hi-res shots~? Sorry, this is all quite new to me!

Would we need to create said pattern themselves and provide it to the company? Or could they extrapolate the pattern based on up-close/hi-res shots~? Sorry, this is all quite new to me!

If the company has an art team, you could possibly have them create a graphic texture for you so you wouldn't have to provide anything but the prices can be pretty hefty. Other than that, you could provide your own graphic pattern or even commission someone for one. Just remember to have the graphic in black and white.

Yeah, the small local outfit that I went to here is kinda like a tattoo shop, in that they expect most people to show up with pictures, sketches, or rough ideas, and then they work with the customers to translate it to a workable design. I'm sure most places are like mentioned above where they'll charge a fee to make the design.

I'm no expert, but for these patterns, seems better to just make the pattern in MS Paint or photoshop yourself and take it in.

I'll have to check again, but I think this might be the same pattern that is used on Daredevil's balaclava as well.

Update:
Here's a screenshot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460082581.370582.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the small local outfit that I went to here is kinda like a tattoo shop, in that they expect most people to show up with pictures, sketches, or rough ideas, and then they work with the customers to translate it to a workable design. I'm sure most places are like mentioned above where they'll charge a fee to make the design.

I'm no expert, but for these patterns, seems better to just make the pattern in MS Paint or photoshop yourself and take it in.

it definitely is better to just provide the pattern yourself. haha i have actually designed textures myself in MS Paint for a client. Luckily i only needed a hand size worth of texture

I'll have to check again, but I think this might be the same pattern that is used on Daredevil's balaclava as well.

Update:
Here's a screenshot.

View attachment 612493

Nice! It definitely looks similar to the texture, just with a little more rough edges. Do you have any more photos of the suit?

Yesss most movies use flexible fabrics with the printed look of sturdy and firm bulletproof textures, we've been trying to tell them but they still look for the real fabrics! I've got a small screen printer, but I've not tried a texture pattern just yet, I need more emulsion sheets to try it out. The process seems simple enough, I have tried logos and words and they've printed nicely. I need a trip to Hobby Lobby soon and I may try out a texture print

Say it until you're blue in the face, people will still ask where they can buy the fabric in a store. Already have several threads where people are looking to buy Cordura for Civil War Spiderman despite the fact Cordura will never ever be able to be tailored to get a form fitting Spiderman suit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yesss most movies use flexible fabrics with the printed look of sturdy and firm bulletproof textures, we've been trying to tell them but they still look for the real fabrics! I've got a small screen printer, but I've not tried a texture pattern just yet, I need more emulsion sheets to try it out. The process seems simple enough, I have tried logos and words and they've printed nicely. I need a trip to Hobby Lobby soon and I may try out a texture print

Let me know how your texture prints go

I literally snapped that with my phone off my TV since Netflix has made screencaptures so difficult. :unsure

Dang, I'll have to try screen capturing the episodes later.

Say it until you're blue in the face, people will still ask where they can buy the fabric in a store. Already have several threads where people are looking to buy Cordura for Civil War Spiderman despite the fact Cordura will never ever be able to be tailored to get a form fitting Spiderman suit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Haha well I try to do my best. If people want to use cordura then I say go for it.

Let me know how your texture prints go

Dang, I'll have to try screen capturing the episodes later.

Haha well I try to do my best. If people want to use cordura then I say go for it.

so if we show you pictures of fabric textures can you help us with the texture graphics? i'm guessing we'll have to keep it to only Marvel character since this is in the Marvel section

so if we show you pictures of fabric textures can you help us with the texture graphics? i'm guessing we'll have to keep it to only Marvel character since this is in the Marvel section

I'll do what I can depending on what kind of help you need. If it's making the graphic for you I'm a bit inexperienced in that area.

I'll do what I can depending on what kind of help you need. If it's making the graphic for you I'm a bit inexperienced in that area.

Kiyominai. Can you take a look at the following thread, and give us your advice about the materials and techniques necessary to reproduce this fabric. I've included several large photos in this thread. Your knowledge on how to make this fabric would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=213509&page=17&p=3950560&viewfull=1#post3950560

To those who might be interested I will be offering screen printing services in the near future and by this I mean of the 3D variety. Word of warning though to those unfamiliar with the process. It sure is expensive stuff so only patterns which justify some kind of demand will get made by me at least. Nice topic Kiyomoninai

Last edited:
To those who might be interested I will be offering screen printing services in the near future and by this I mean of the 3D variety. Word of warning though to those unfamiliar with the process. It sure is expensive stuff so only patterns which justify some kind of demand will get made by me at least. Nice topic Kyomoninai

Would you be willing to do the normal kind of "fake texture" printing that Kiyo is referring to as well~?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back