Fabric Textures - Examining Captain America (Avengers) and Black Widow (AoU)

I'm actually working with a company who made the fabric in CA FA to replicate the new daredevil fabric and this thread is very useful. The DD pattern appears to be very different to the one used on other marvel suits would you all agree or is there a higher res shots that show it to be a similar replica of a weave?

I'm actually working with a company who made the fabric in CA FA to replicate the new daredevil fabric and this thread is very useful. The DD pattern appears to be very different to the one used on other marvel suits would you all agree or is there a higher res shots that show it to be a similar replica of a weave?

Hello, spi1derman.

It's a different texture assuming DD means Daredevil.

Update: for some reason i didn't see the word "daredevil" so silly me. But the answer is still yes! sorry about that

Black Widow costumers: This may or may not be helpful. Kohls has a line of Black Widow workout gear that has decent pattern that could work out with a little altering.

CgRVZDhWIAAHvYQ.jpg

Thanks so much for the info! Had a hard time finding Black Widow suit material, nice to know that it wasn't something custom-woven. I'm going to look into this once I can find a solution for the Widow's Bites I can't seem to make.

Black Widow costumers: This may or may not be helpful. Kohls has a line of Black Widow workout gear that has decent pattern that could work out with a little altering.

View attachment 616045

Awesome find! This texture looks great and can even be used for other suits.

Thanks so much for the info! Had a hard time finding Black Widow suit material, nice to know that it wasn't something custom-woven. I'm going to look into this once I can find a solution for the Widow's Bites I can't seem to make.

I'm glad I was able to be of help to you. Good luck on your build! I look forward to seeing its completion.

I've looked at a lot analyzing the pattern
It's hard to explain, and I deleted the high res pics I had
It's similar to the Captain America (avengers) suit with the T pattern, but the T is bracketed
0a1aae7dcf577117d64065099b595311.jpg

Like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The widow's bites in Civil War look pretty simple to make, if you don't need them to light up. There's a pretty good side view of them in trailer 2 in the scene where she's running at the airport. Bill Doran's Youtube channel shows how you can cut details like that from thick foam. The foam would probably then need to be sealed and covered with something like Plastidip.

I have made two versions of the widow's bites from Avengers. The first one is fully documented in my blog and the "pods" on the bracer are made from heat shrink tube. There's a bit of electronics & Arduino code as well and a hidden button inside each glove to control the light show. The second version is identical except that the pods are 3D-printed, I used white LEDs instead of blue (not 100% sure it was the better choice tbh) and a 3.3V processor instead of 5V.

Here's a link to the first part of the widow's bite blog series:

http://blog.poista.net/2016/01/17/black-widow-part-6-biting-the-bullets/

As far as the suit goes, the materials used in Civil War are clearly visible in high detail in a trailer 2 shot where you see her shoulder. They clearly used large plastic zipper coils on some of the seams. Bad news if you are using a pattern designed to stretch (like the Yaya Han bodysuit pattern). That shot shows two different fabrics: one with a hex pattern (potentially screen-printed) and another with a smaller pattern that has a cordura/diamond style (could well be screen-printed as well).

If you are not fussed about being 100% accurate on the fabric, I would probably recommend the 2mm foam stretch sandwich mesh from Rockywoods. I have a swatch and it looks quite nice and stretches better than the mesh I got (and used) from Mood Fabrics. For the Avengers suit, I'm pretty sure the mesh from Mood Fabrics was more accurate, but the suit materials in Civil War & AoU look quite different.

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Spacer-Meshes/2-0mm-Foam-Stretch-Sandwich-Mesh

Come to think of it, I think if you used the patterened side of the 2mm as the tighter patterned cloth and then printed the larger hex pattern on the smooth side, you could probably do the whole suit with just the 2mm mesh. You might be able to the printing by glueing a hex mesh on the fabric and then applying a puffy dye layer on top. Once the dye is dry, you would pull the mesh off to leave the hex pattern. All theory...I haven't tried this (I'm not going to make any other versions of my Black Widow suit other than the Avengers version).

The widow's bites in Civil War look pretty simple to make, if you don't need them to light up.
Keep in mind, not everyone has the same skill level, and "simple" is a relative term. I tried three times to make them, the last involved sculpting and molding them, which was an utter failure. I was going for exact screen accuracy, but I'm a seamstress, but not much of a prop maker. Cap2 was the last version I made. The suit pattern was easy enough for me to make, and I found a stretch pique that had a great texture, but I would, of course, remake it if I could find/make accurate fabric (I am fussed about 100% screen accuracy, personally, that's half the fun for me). Here's my suit, which still needs a loooot of prop work. (I rushed to finish before a con) 10265349_10152780077549325_8967610606579095761_o(1).jpg

Awesome find! This texture looks great and can even be used for other suits.

I'm glad I was able to be of help to you. Good luck on your build! I look forward to seeing its completion.

Kiyo, I am absolutely AWFUL at deciphering what the base patterns on some of these suits are. I don't know how you have such an eye for it? Could I pay you to extrapolate what the pattern for something like the fabrics shown here would be?

12973272_10154031124113605_8099129029265169927_o.jpg12998225_10154031123338605_5172789597913699364_o.jpg12973229_10154031120338605_7161426045708696122_o.jpg

To my eye, JJ, those all appear to be actual textured fabrics, rather than printed fabrics. Look at how the sheen changes as the fabric rolls.

-Nick

The widow's bites in Civil War look pretty simple to make, if you don't need them to light up. There's a pretty good side view of them in trailer 2 in the scene where she's running at the airport. Bill Doran's Youtube channel shows how you can cut details like that from thick foam. The foam would probably then need to be sealed and covered with something like Plastidip.

I have made two versions of the widow's bites from Avengers. The first one is fully documented in my blog and the "pods" on the bracer are made from heat shrink tube. There's a bit of electronics & Arduino code as well and a hidden button inside each glove to control the light show. The second version is identical except that the pods are 3D-printed, I used white LEDs instead of blue (not 100% sure it was the better choice tbh) and a 3.3V processor instead of 5V.

Here's a link to the first part of the widow's bite blog series:

http://blog.poista.net/2016/01/17/black-widow-part-6-biting-the-bullets/

As far as the suit goes, the materials used in Civil War are clearly visible in high detail in a trailer 2 shot where you see her shoulder. They clearly used large plastic zipper coils on some of the seams. Bad news if you are using a pattern designed to stretch (like the Yaya Han bodysuit pattern). That shot shows two different fabrics: one with a hex pattern (potentially screen-printed) and another with a smaller pattern that has a cordura/diamond style (could well be screen-printed as well).

If you are not fussed about being 100% accurate on the fabric, I would probably recommend the 2mm foam stretch sandwich mesh from Rockywoods. I have a swatch and it looks quite nice and stretches better than the mesh I got (and used) from Mood Fabrics. For the Avengers suit, I'm pretty sure the mesh from Mood Fabrics was more accurate, but the suit materials in Civil War & AoU look quite different.

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Spacer-Meshes/2-0mm-Foam-Stretch-Sandwich-Mesh

Come to think of it, I think if you used the patterened side of the 2mm as the tighter patterned cloth and then printed the larger hex pattern on the smooth side, you could probably do the whole suit with just the 2mm mesh. You might be able to the printing by glueing a hex mesh on the fabric and then applying a puffy dye layer on top. Once the dye is dry, you would pull the mesh off to leave the hex pattern. All theory...I haven't tried this (I'm not going to make any other versions of my Black Widow suit other than the Avengers version).

Keep in mind, not everyone has the same skill level, and "simple" is a relative term. I tried three times to make them, the last involved sculpting and molding them, which was an utter failure. I was going for exact screen accuracy, but I'm a seamstress, but not much of a prop maker. Cap2 was the last version I made. The suit pattern was easy enough for me to make, and I found a stretch pique that had a great texture, but I would, of course, remake it if I could find/make accurate fabric (I am fussed about 100% screen accuracy, personally, that's half the fun for me). Here's my suit, which still needs a loooot of prop work. (I rushed to finish before a con) View attachment 616281

if any of you are interested, an International Character poster was released for Black Widow in the Civil War movie

lyGq3fo.jpg

Kiyo, I am absolutely AWFUL at deciphering what the base patterns on some of these suits are. I don't know how you have such an eye for it? Could I pay you to extrapolate what the pattern for something like the fabrics shown here would be?

View attachment 616388View attachment 616390View attachment 616391

To my eye, JJ, those all appear to be actual textured fabrics, rather than printed fabrics. Look at how the sheen changes as the fabric rolls.

-Nick

some parts of his fabric are printed, others are already textured when bought as theNickFox was saying.

Keep in mind, not everyone has the same skill level, and "simple" is a relative term. I tried three times to make them, the last involved sculpting and molding them, which was an utter failure. I was going for exact screen accuracy, but I'm a seamstress, but not much of a prop maker. Cap2 was the last version I made. The suit pattern was easy enough for me to make, and I found a stretch pique that had a great texture, but I would, of course, remake it if I could find/make accurate fabric (I am fussed about 100% screen accuracy, personally, that's half the fun for me). Here's my suit, which still needs a loooot of prop work. (I rushed to finish before a con)

Nice work on the suit.

Aside from the fairly low resolution shot in the trailer and some Hot Toys photos, I haven't seen the new bites. The text on the international poster does a pretty good job of hiding them. Heat shrink tube is probably a lot easier to work with than foam or molding/casting. However, you would still want to have a mold for that to get a consistent shape (I carved one out of wood - with heat shrink tube the mold goes inside the tube). The large part that was red in AoU is simpler and smaller and black...looks like a typical foam piece, but also a good candidate for 3D-printing (and vacuforming, but very few people do those). I guess for the foam approach, getting the pods cut cleanly and with good detail is the hardest part - I bet I would be really bad at it.

Anyway, for me most of the fun is actually figuring out how to get something replicated with skills I have or can learn. I have only been doing this stuff for six months now and I have to say I have learned a lot. :)

P.S. Some OK reference photos for CACW here: http://sciencefiction.com/2016/03/29/new-images-give-best-look-captain-america-civil-war-cast-yet/
The pods are pretty easy to see, but the larger part isn't visible unfortunately.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing some info on the screen-printed stretch fabrics! For Captain America (The First Avenger), I am pretty sure they actually used normal ballistic Nylon, with screen-printed "fish bone" pattern on top. I got to look at the fabric up close, touch and feel the suit they have at Madame Tussaud's in London, and it is definitely not stretch fabric. See picture below:
18922061666_06d66be520_o.jpg18922141246_4fd8fd30f5_o.jpg

For the Cap suit in the "Winter Soldier", the Smithsonian Suit (Golden Age) suit, the fabric however, seem to be stretch fabric with full screen printed textures. See screen cap below.
vlcsnap-2015-08-01-15h17m59s590.png

I've made a costume replica of the Smithsonian suit. However, since I was not aware of the conventional printed screen fabric method, I used heat transfer screen printing on top of ballistic nylon instead. The pattern works superb, however, there is a shine on top of the print that I am not a particular big fan of. I am able to sand it down to a more dull appearance, so it's not too bad.

DSC_0193.jpgDSC_0202.jpg

Thank you for sharing some info on the screen-printed stretch fabrics! For Captain America (The First Avenger), I am pretty sure they actually used normal ballistic Nylon, with screen-printed "fish bone" pattern on top. I got to look at the fabric up close, touch and feel the suit they have at Madame Tussaud's in London, and it is definitely not stretch fabric. See picture below:
View attachment 640292View attachment 640293

For the Cap suit in the "Winter Soldier", the Smithsonian Suit (Golden Age) suit, the fabric however, seem to be stretch fabric with full screen printed textures. See screen cap below.
View attachment 640285

I've made a costume replica of the Smithsonian suit. However, since I was not aware of the conventional printed screen fabric method, I used heat transfer screen printing on top of ballistic nylon instead. The pattern works superb, however, there is a shine on top of the print that I am not a particular big fan of. I am able to sand it down to a more dull appearance, so it's not too bad.

View attachment 640290View attachment 640291

Oh definitely, the TFA suit is indeed a Ballistic Nylon. But the suits that came after that (Avengers 1 to date) used a stretch fabric approach. I apologize to anyone if I have misinformed them somehow.

My friend who works in the UK got to screen print that texture on the suit; he just happened to work on the Harry Potter movies as well.

The Smithsonian suit was printed by my company, but not me directly, as I was interning at that time.

Heat transfer is still a great way to get texture onto fabrics. I really like your suit.

13866597_672366816245313_1464911743_n (1).jpg

I've always wanted to do this type of post, unfortunately I only have a tablet camera available.

The left side is regular non-printed spandex - The right side is screen printed fabric.

It makes so much of a difference in texture.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back