Harry and the Hendersons bust restoration/display

TomSpinaDesigns

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

A client came to us with this really, really cool bust from the Prop Store Rick Baker auctions. It was a fully painted and haired face skin for Harry from Harry and the Hendersons on a biscuit foam form.

Rick often says Harry's his favorite creation and in person, it's easy to see why. The sculpt is so wonderfully natural. It's amazing just to see it up close.

We were asked to add eyes (custom acrylics, made dark blue to look like KPH's eyes with contacts), sculpt in eyelids, create teeth and tongue (translucent resin) and add hair to the back of the head and bib. We made some very minor repairs to the foam latex skin too.

It was a lot of work, and we wanted to be sure we did everything right. We tried really hard with the eyes to capture the feel of Harry and a bit of "fun." The fur was custom run to our specs by National Fiber Tech (two blends, actually) and is an amazing match.

A tree block base finishes it off nicely :) That's Maria from our shop working in the pics. Steve Richter and some others of us did a fair amount of work on him too. If you want to see stuff like this (and more) as we work, be sure to follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TomSpinaDesigns

Hope you guys like what we did. This was a lot of fun!

best,
Tom

harry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-15.jpgharry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-14.jpgharry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-12.JPGharry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-11.JPGharry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-8.jpgharry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-5.jpg

harry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-5.jpg

harry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-8.jpg

harry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-11.JPG

harry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-12.JPG

harry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-14.jpg

harry-hendersons-mask-bust-movie-prop-15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual you nailed it.

Looks like KPH is still alive and well.

Always loved "Harry"

This is fantastic work, and I'm amazed that something like this can be preserved so well, but I always wondered... Does extensive renovations create a ship of Theseus paradox? If the parts are painted over and replaced, at what point does it cease to be the same prop?

I don't mean to take away anything from this work though, just something I've always wondered. I mean, if it wasn't for prop renovations, most would be dust anyway.

Thanks all! Ben - yes, we do!!

Castor - I think in this case, you'll find we didn't really do much "covering" - just a bit of hair, mostly over the buck in the back… and the eyes/teeth were sort of "within" and not over. We do agree though, wherever possible, we try to NOT paint over production paint and such. If you look, nearly all of our restorations, even the very dramatic ones, are in-painted, which means we only paint over the small patches or repairs, keeping as much original material intact and untouched as we can :)

best,
Tom

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back