Star Wars Anthology (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Re: Obi Wan Kenobi spinoff film..

I would give up one of mine under the right conditions. Someone pass that info along. ;)

I'm guessing the right conditions are something like this:

_aa72de2c-97b2-11e6-98f6-96638e85be2b.jpg

Hell, I only have one real parts Obi and I'd sell it for that without even thinking twice!

I'm all for this as long as it's not Obi Wan running around to different planets waving his lightsaber around. It would be more interesting to see him forced (ha!) to deal with things clandestinely while hiding any Force use.

He wasn't hesitant to let his freak flag fly in the cantina. I do agree though, I'd like to see him forced to keep it low-key. This is the most exciting announcement from Disney since they bought LFL, for me personally.

That was when he was done hiding. I think it would be better, IMO, if they kept that reveal in the cantina be when he finally steps back into the Jedi role in ANH. It kind of cheapens that if he's been doing that for the last 20 years.

While reading about this on another site, a new loophole popped into my head on lightsaber use. If they showed him, discreetly using his lightsaber, then camouflaging the wound, that could work. They could show him doing something like modifying a blaster's output to scorch the wound and disguise the lightsaber damage. Also in the old EU Corran Horn put a fake piece onto his lightsaber to make it look like a hydrospanner. He could knock it off to use his lightsaber. That kind of stuff might make lightsaber use more palatable IMO. I'm sure every good Imperial believes the Jedi did try to overthrow the Republic, so most people would jump to turn one in and get a reward.

Last edited:
Guiness' Obi-wan was very much different (more calm and collected) compared to the cocky MacGregor Obi-wan we see fighting Grevious in ROTS, which makes me question whether the latter would be the right person to play the role during that transition period. If it were up to me, I'd cast Kenneth Branagh.

He is too old.

Too old to begin the training.

If you were to cast him as the padawan Obi-wan back in the late 90s, I would agree he was too old for the role even then. But as an older Obi-wan maybe 10 to 15 years prior to the events of ANH, I think he would look the right age.

If you were to cast him as the padawan Obi-wan back in the late 90s, I would agree he was too old for the role even then. But as an older Obi-wan maybe 10 to 15 years prior to the events of ANH, I think he would look the right age.

Well, I just couldn't resist the line. ;) The truth is, I was not enamored with Ewan's Obi Wan like so many others were. You're right about his energy being wrong. I know folks justified that by quoting Spirit Alec Obi Wan from ESB saying, "So was I, if you'll remember?", in response to Yoda saying Luke was too reckless to become a Jedi. But that doesn't fly with me. It's not about the character being reckless--it's about his natural energy. Alec's is staid and stoic, and Ewan's is frenetic and passionate.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm a big fan of Ewan McGregor's. He's as likable a chap as they come. He's a very good actor. (It's a shame the writing wasn't better in his three Star Wars films.) And he was one of the highlights of the prequel trilogy. (Although, that's not saying much, sadly.) But I would very much like to see another actor, a classically trained Brit, who better matches Guinness' natural energy, take a turn with the character. Kenneth Branagh could be just right. And if Branagh is not too old at 56, then I'd also be very keen to see what 54-year old Ralph Fiennes could do with the role, Both men are better actors than McGregor, and both men can match Sir Alec's aristocratic stoicism. That's not who Ewan is, and he just can't quite pull that off, no matter how hard he tries.

The Wook

I wonder if they would be able to entice Liam Neeson back to do voice work as a Force spirit? He seemed willing to revisit Star Wars a few years ago with an appearance on Clone Wars.

To be honest, I think I'd happily watch a couple of hours of Obi-Wan traipsing around the desert on his own for 19 years hearing voices and trying to work out whether it was the Force, or just him going crazy.

I could see Fiennes being a good fit as an older Kenobi but I think McGregor will do it justice. He's put a few more miles on since the prequels, shed a little of the boyish charm. He might be at the point where he's better suited to give the kind of grounded, nuanced performance that came so naturally to Guinness.

Whatever happens, I'm psyched to see what they do with this one. Kenobi in the first film is still my favorite character from all the films.

Disney announced that Stephen Daldry is slated to direct the Kenobi story. He's better known for directing Billy Elliot, The Hour, The Reader, etc...No casting yet!

I'm all for this as long as it's not Obi Wan running around to different planets waving his lightsaber around. It would be more interesting to see him forced (ha!) to deal with things clandestinely while hiding any Force use.

Highly agree, obiwan shouldn't leave tatoonie

And I like the idea of igniting the lightsaber being a special part of the movie. Not igniting it ever 5 seconds like the prequels did

I would give up one of mine under the right conditions. Someone pass that info along. ;)
Cameo as a Jedi or a Lightsaber Parts Vendor? And a credit as a contributor in the end credits!

Highly agree, obiwan shouldn't leave tatoonie And I like the idea of igniting the lightsaber being a special part of the movie. Not igniting it ever 5 seconds like the prequels did

I think the ANH ignition in the Mos Eisley Cantina was the first time in a long time that Obi-Wan had used his lightsaber. Especially since one little rat ran right out to get the reward from the Stormtroopers the instance Obi-Wan revealed himself as Jedi.

The tricky part would be deciding whether to cast a now older Ewan McGregor as a younger than Prequels Obi-Wan or to cast him more appropriately as a Post Prequels Obi-Run (<---Run, get it?!) and show him dodging J.A.T.'s (Jedi Assassination Teams) and his eventually settling down back on Tatooine.

Speaking of Boba Fett, I have a really cool Obi-Wan vs. Boba Fett story to pitch. Someone pass that info along! ;)

I think the ANH ignition in the Mos Eisley Cantina was the first time in a long time that Obi-Wan had used his lightsaber. Especially since one little rat ran right out to get the reward from the Stormtroopers the instance Obi-Wan revealed himself as Jedi.

I'm inclined to agree, but we know that the saber picked up a lot of weathering during his years on Tatooine, so it couldn't have spent the whole time in that chest next to Anakins.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back