Star Wars Anthology (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Re: Star Wars: Kenobi

ABSOLUTELY pin that on the director. Everyone in those movies sucked... these are well respected actors, and they are all jokes coming out of that flick.

Disagree again. Ian McDiarmid was awesome as Palpatine and Sidious, in every one of the PT films. And he was directed by the same man, as every other actor and actress.

The Wook

The number one reason I have to stop actors during voice records is "you're falling out of character."

When a guy is in a giant green room, talking awful dialogue to a marking ball, the director had to make sure he's not getting lost in the scene.

Han Solo ROTJ vs TFA (TFA is on character a no matter how you think of it as a film)

as for palpatine, that was bat**** crazy... I wouldn't say that was the same character as Jedi though.

Disagree again. Ian McDiarmid was awesome as Palpatine and Sidious, in every one of the PT films. And he was directed by the same man, as every other actor and actress.

The Wook

Disagree. He was OK as Palpatine. As soon as he was Sidious, he was a cackling, laughable bad guy in bad makeup who looked and sounded like a villain out of a Scooby-Doo episode. The OT emperor was evil. PT Sidious was a joke.

The Wook

Nah. McDiarmid was fantastic as the Emperor in ROTJ but was ridiculoiusly over-the-top as the same character in ROTS. Typical Hollywood mentality (whether or not Lucas says he prescribes to it). "X was great so more of X will be more great." No, it was silly.

I would say that Ian was acting Palpatine with very little direction, the subtleties & his mannerisms,.....a true craftsman......when it came to his transformation into Sideous in ROTS, I'd say that's where Lucas pushed him into panto mode,.....going over the top & spoiling the great job he had done on the 3 films

J

I'm definitely a prequel-era Kenobi fan.

Guinness was great, but we essentially only got him on the last day of his life. I loved the flawed swashbuckling do-gooder of the clone wars.

So yeah, I wanna see Ewan.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I couldn't give a crap about a Han Solo movie. I'd rather see this. Although I'd like to see him on a solo mission during the Clone Wars. Maybe an adventure that mirrors "Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now"?

Obi-Wan against a Krayt dragon would be so damn cool! :)

I'm curious what the story would be like. I could imagine something like this: Obi-Wan hunting for a lost treasure or a lost Holocron. Maybe we will see him ride a Bantha or steal something from Jabba's palace. :)

I'm happiest about the different writers.

Some of the altenate rogue one stories and endings they released the last week or so were straight up ****ing ridiculous. There are ordinary Star Wars fans that could have written better ideas. These guys were getting paid for it and their ideas were worse than turgid fan fic.

Plus not delighted about Edwards directing again. He's not a character director. Not one fully developed character in rogue one. Too big a cast and hard to connect to any of them.
I'm doubtful they'd go with Edwards again. They got a second director in to try make a film out of the stuff he shot. Hello reshoots.
Give it to a proper character director. Someone with the chops. He's s great visual director. That only gets you so far. And I want an Obi Wan film with more substance than oh look more big visual shots.
Not a character director? Did you see Monsters? That was all ABOUT character. Lovely film.

I thought Ewan was one of the best things about the prequels. I can't really understand the hate.

Who said anything about "hate"? I like Ewan. And yes, he was one of the best things about the PT. But that's a commentary on how bad the PT was.

The Wook

Who said anything about "hate"? I like Ewan. And yes, he was one of the best things about the PT. But that's a commentary on how bad the PT was.

The Wook

It was more of a general observance and not directed at you, Wook. I think he could have been better in the role with stronger material but to say he was totally wrong for the part I think is off base. You're not the only one who didn't like him but I really did and I'd like to see what a new director can do with it.

It was more of a general observance and not directed at you, Wook. I think he could have been better in the role with stronger material but to say he was totally wrong for the part I think is off base. You're not the only one who didn't like him but I really did and I'd like to see what a new director can do with it.

No worries. I agree he could've been better in the role with stronger writing. And I hope he'll get stronger writing next time. But even with the bad writing, his natural energy and demeanor is all wrong for Obi Wan Kenobi. If you saw an actor who looked more like Guinness and shared his reserved, stoic, and aristocratic demeanor, you'd be blown away. We all would.

McGregor didn't blow me away. Not even close. He was serviceable in the role. And in films as dreadful as they were (albeit, better than TFA), that made his performance one of the highlights. No matter how hard McGregor tried to act and sound posh and aristocratic, he always came off as a lower class ruffian, who was trying to sound posh and aristocratic.

Ewan McGregor is more Conor McGregor than Alec Guinness.

The Wook

Ewan did a great job as Kenobi and would like to see a solo film of this. I think they could do some sort of cross-between somehow of Guiness and McGregor through makeup and technology. Hopefully not too much, but I think it would be interesting. It doesn't even need to be too many years later and just 5 years after to maintain the Ewan look a little more, but older.

I think of that moment in ANH Vader saying, "I felt something. A presence I have not felt since....." and I could see that being used for a Vader encounter with Obi-Wan shortly after his transition in this Obi-Wan solo film. No one said they never encountered and fought between ROTS and ANH. Theoretically this is very possible to work in. Perhaps Vader sent someone to help destroy Obi-Wan because he knows he's alive somewhere? It could happen....

...I think they could do some sort of cross-between somehow of Guiness and McGregor through makeup and technology.

I don't like this...

I think of that moment in ANH Vader saying, "I felt something. A presence I have not felt since....." and I could see that being used for a Vader encounter with Obi-Wan shortly after his transition in this Obi-Wan solo film. No one said they never encountered and fought between ROTS and ANH. Theoretically this is very possible to work in. Perhaps Vader sent someone to help destroy Obi-Wan because he knows he's alive somewhere? It could happen....

However, I LOVE this!

I agree. HAHA! Ideally hopefully little to no CG tech involved. I was sorting through my ideas as I was typing and probably should have just went back and erased that part entirely.

No worries. I just assumed it was your avatar that typed that post.

The Wook

Oh man. Now that it's been mentioned above. You KNOW you're going to see Ben kill the dragon that Threepio walks by at the beginning of ANH. ha.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've said this before,...& I know that the books (which are canon) say that Obi-Wan lives his days between ROTS & ANH on Tatooine keeping his eye on young Luke,......but I think it would be better if he were to leave shortly after ROTS and check in on Luke every now & again....only settling there when Luke was older

Also Bail Organa new his whereabouts,....so could it be possible that Obi-Wan possibly had some Rebel missions.....don't know,....I just think it's a waste of a character to sit tight for 17 years stuck on that planet

J

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back