Star Wars Anthology (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Re: Star Wars: Kenobi

I'd be up for it with Ewan as Obi, but how about a good director for once? That seems to be too much to ask even with good actors and a script these days.

MacGregor was clearly getting bored by SW ROTS ... we're going to subject him to even more?

There's a reason he got bored. He realized that the prequels were not at all what he had imagined they would be, and that the finish product was awful. NOW, he sees cool SW movies being made. He sees worlds being constructed and creatures that look real. In short, he sees Star Wars and he wants in on the fun, confident that his character will not be ruined.

There's a reason he got bored. He realized that the prequels were not at all what he had imagined they would be, and that the finish product was awful. NOW, he sees cool SW movies being made. He sees worlds being constructed and creatures that look real. In short, he sees Star Wars and he wants in on the fun, confident that his character will not be ruined.
I also think Disney will allow Ewan some creative input, even a co-producer credit to sweeten the deal.

McGregor knows this can be his cash cow.

Iger did say the other day that we're getting Star Wars films for the next 15 years.
Yet the article says that Kennedy said they're gonna starve us of Saga films so I'd say you're gonna get lots of new characters and new storylines in standalones outside the established spectrum.

this is exciting. but im really curious as to what we will see... what kind of adventure could ol' ben get into on tatoonie while watching luke. the comics have hinted at jabba being this be fear through out the planet and taxing everyone water tax. maybe we will see kenobi with jabba's goons?

Iger did say the other day that we're getting Star Wars films for the next 15 years.
Yet the article says that Kennedy said they're gonna starve us of Saga films so I'd say you're gonna get lots of new characters and new storylines in standalones outside the established spectrum.

The whole thing has moved so far away from what grabbed me by the undeveloped plums all those years ago that I just don't get excited any more. Becomes more like a new IPhone launch each time. Enjoyed RO though.

Unless Kasden is involved.....blah. TFA is such a typical SW film like the OT because of him. He really is the only one I've seen so far that 'gets' the mix right, even GL made a mess of the prequels and he wrote ANH, although I suspect the editing (his wife) saved it.

R1 is basically a wasted opportunity. While it has a nice 2nd half (everyone has to die) is too derivative to be of great value. Better than the squeals but not a SW movie.

I found Ewen McGregor to be a weak Kenobi version. I think a better actor would have made a better impression.

With every addition to the franchise past the OT, it just gets further diluted. I have great hope for the Han Solo pic, because Kasden is involved. There are just as many talented creators as Kasden for sure, but Disney just can't seem to find them. Anything with EG in it will just remind me of the terrible prequels...still at the end of the day, the House of Mouse will get my money.

People say it's just a movie, get over it......while that's true, it's important part of my childhood, so I believe it's important to try as best to get it right, it can be done, but they sure do stumble a lot,

I found Ewen McGregor to be a weak Kenobi version. I think a better actor would have made a better impression.

I agree. I like Ewan, but in watching him play the character over THREE films, I made virtually no connection between his Kenobi and Alec Guinness' Kenobi. He doesn't look like Alec, nor does he share Alec's signature reticent, pensive and aristocratic demeanor. Sure, Guinness' Kenobi tells Yoda that he was reckless when young, but even taking into account that Kenobi was less disciplined in his younger days, I still make no connection between the guy Ewan played and the guy Alec played.

Ewan's capable of delivering a great performance, like the thug he played in Trainspotting. But he was miscast as Obi Wan Kenobi.

The Wook

I just hope they don't have Darth Maul come back with the robotic legs and attack him. Never really liked that idea. Maul was a cool character and all, but I feel he should just stay dead. Kinda hard to tell, but it looks much more like his gut was cut in two, not just his legs cut off.
Other than that, an Obi-wan movie would be cool....guess they can only call him Ben though.

I'm all for the concept, but I think that this time period is way too limited. What are they going to show, Obi Wan running around scaring Sandpeople? He's there to protect Luke, I don't think he was wandering around leaving evidence of someone using a lightsaber everywhere. They should have done this during the Clone Wars.

I'm all for the concept, but I think that this time period is way too limited. What are they going to show, Obi Wan running around scaring Sandpeople? He's there to protect Luke, I don't think he was wandering around leaving evidence of someone using a lightsaber everywhere. They should have done this during the Clone Wars.
Yeah. McGregor and Neeson are too old to be playing a pre-TPM era Qui Gon and Obi-Wan now, and between RotS and ANH, Obi-Wan wasn't really DOING anything. The best they could do would be a Clone Wars era flick featuring him, Anakin, Rex, and (maybe Ahsoka), but it's been over a decade since RotS. Christensen has retired from film, both Ewan and Hayden have aged, and Temuera Morrison is not the younger man he used to be. All of them except Ahsoka's actor would be pushing it in the age = appearance category.

Idunno, I just don't see it working for me. He LOOKS 12 years older than he did in RotS, especially around the eyes. They're have to really cake on the makeup to bring out a youthful complexion. Also, the hair and beard on him was meant to make him look older and more war weary than he did in TPM and AotC. Put him back in that hairstyle and beard style, and he'll look older than he does now.
nvkUzIY.jpgk1we9f6.jpg

And besides, what Clone Wars movie without Anakin, Rex, or even Cody?

Even if they didn't make a Clone Wars movie, and used the aged McGregor to their advantage... they still have the problem of him actually doing something. He can't leave Luke.

I agree. I like Ewan, but in watching him play the character over THREE films, I made virtually no connection between his Kenobi and Alec Guinness' Kenobi. He doesn't look like Alec, nor does he share Alec's signature reticent, pensive and aristocratic demeanor. Sure, Guinness' Kenobi tells Yoda that he was reckless when young, but even taking into account that Kenobi was less disciplined in his younger days, I still make no connection between the guy Ewan played and the guy Alec played.

Ewan's capable of delivering a great performance, like the thug he played in Trainspotting. But he was miscast as Obi Wan Kenobi.

The Wook

I think the direction screwed him. I think he could pull off the acting if given the right script and directing. His look is perfect.

I've been wanting to see him in a proper Star Wars since seeing that maquette of Obi wandering the desert with his packs. It came with Ewan's head or Alec... both looked GREAT.
I'd still like to pick it up one day cuz it really captured my imagination what you could do with Ewan Obi if he wasn't in a 50's diner or riding a lizard-chicken.

https://www.specfictionshop.com/pro...obi-polystone-statue-by-sideshow-collectibles

I think the direction screwed him. I think he could pull off the acting if given the right script and directing. His look is perfect.

I disagree. Ewan looks nothing like Guinness. And even though the scripts were undoubtedly weak, it's up to him as an actor to pull off a young Guinness. But he didn't. Ewan played Kenobi as himself, essentially. All I saw and heard on the screen through three films was Ewan McGregor. I never once felt like I was watching a young Guinness.

Don't pin that on the director.

The Wook

I disagree. Ewan looks nothing like Guinness. And even though the scripts were undoubtedly weak, it's up to him as an actor to pull off a young Guinness. But he didn't. Ewan played Kenobi as himself, essentially. All I saw and heard on the screen through three films was Ewan McGregor. I never once felt like I was watching a young Guinness.

Don't pin that on the director.

The Wook

ABSOLUTELY pin that on the director. Everyone in those movies sucked... these are well respected actors, and they are all jokes coming out of that flick.

That he didn't LOOK like Alec is also the directors fault. Director steers the ship.

Who okayed that fake beard through a lot of the movie?

Man nothing about him looked like Alec, but COULD have *see maquette link

Like if Phill Miller and Chris Lord pull off that little dude as Han Solo... that is 100% on them. If he fails, can't blame it on the actor. They picked him, they directed him.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back