Star Wars Anthology (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Re: Obi Wan Kenobi spinoff film..

I could see Kenobi being the Kambei character in a Seven Samurai on Tatooine movie. I would watch the hell out of that. Grizzled, tired veteran of war organizing some oppressed moisture farmers, inspiring them to stand up against raiding Sandpeople or extortionist Hutts or whatever. Yeah, sand guerrilla Kenobi. MAKE THIS MOVIE.

This is a WAY better idea than a han movie...

Way less chance of disgruntled fans.

Ewan was one of the best parts of the prequels.

Yes please.

This is a WAY better idea than a han movie...

Way less chance of disgruntled fans.

Ewan was one of the best parts of the prequels.

Yes please.

Ewan in the last moments before the overly long lava fight was the only part of the prequels I dug.

His yelling at Anakin was great.

He was a great Obi, and deserves a great movie.

We don't know why Owen Lars didn't like Obi-Wan offhand, he brought them a kid, and since Luke has no Step-Siblings it's safe to assume they couldn't have any of their own. We also don't know why Obi-Wan disliked Mos Eisley. It wouldn't be hard to work a story that deals with both of these points.

Ewan is a delightful chap. Thanks for posting this interview.

My take is that I'd like to see Ewan play Obi Wan Kenobi in a well-written Star Wars film.

I haven't seen that yet.

The Wook

Ewan is a delightful chap. Thanks for posting this interview.

My take is that I'd like to see Ewan play Obi Wan Kenobi in a well-written Star Wars film.

I haven't seen that yet.

The Wook

I think his dialogue in all the PT was actually pretty good, likely a testament to him as an actor. Same with Liam and Ian, I can't think of many clunkers delivered by those chaps.

I wouldn't mind an Anakin cameo, but I'd rather it focus on Obi Wan. It would be interesting to see what another director could do with Hayden and still keep him similar to the Prequels.

I think his dialogue in all the PT was actually pretty good, likely a testament to him as an actor. Same with Liam and Ian, I can't think of many clunkers delivered by those chaps.

I'm not talking about Ewan's lines, per se, but rather each prequel episode as a whole film. It's not exactly easy to sit down and watch those films, and so I don't. I like Ewan. He and Liam and Ian were all good in their roles--Ian was beyond good, he was great. But the movies suffered from so many other weak performances and poorly written dialogue.

The biggest clunker line for Ewan was when his character and Yoda were watching the playback of Anakin slaughtering the younglings. Instead of just looking away in horror, he looked away in horror while saying, "I can't bear to watch.". I guess to explain to us why he was looking away in horror. Just awful writing and direction.

But overall, Ewan did a good job. I stand by my original statement: I'd like to see Ewan play Obi Wan Kenobi in a well-written Star Wars film.

The Wook

We don't know why Owen Lars didn't like Obi-Wan offhand...
Maybe Obi-Wan had a fling with Aunt Beru. He did have a lot of spare time on his hands... :D

McGregor's performance as Obi-Wan was my favorite part of the Prequel Trilogy movies, so if they're going to do a Kenobi movie I hope they cast him in the role.

A Kenobi film set on Tatooine, he's known only as as Ben when going into town to get supplies, Luke overhears from Owen that he's called Ben Kenobi, (Which give's Luke reference that had in ANH that old Ben is a Kenobi.) This would have Joel Edgerton back as Owen Lars, has the conflict between them shown. They could even somehow write a flashback scene as Kenobi looks at the Skywalker saber. Kenobi remembers Anakin saying as he is building the new saber (almost immediately after EP2) that he would someday want to retire from the Jedi order and have a family, but would want to pass down this new saber to his child. Then you have "Your father wanted you to have this..." line totally covered and not a half truth. Hayden Christensen still looks young enough, especially if you use a tiny bit of CG technology, he would need his padawan haircut back. As for Kenobi knowing about Padme and Anakin's relationship, I think Kenobi knew about it anyway but kinda "looked the other way."

Last edited by a moderator:

I got it! Make it a "reality tv" show. Obi-wan playing card games with Jawas cracking jokes.
Testing out his krayt dragon calls. Towns folks calling him crazy old wizard! Survival tips for the Jundland wastes.
Pure gold.

When Ben said "He didn't hold with your father's ideals; he felt he should've stayed here and not gotten involved."

I remember watching "Legends of the Fall" where a family of farmers where broken up during the first world war because one wanted to fight, and the other not getting involved.

I always imagined a Young Anakin, maybe in his 20's, arguing with his brother, Owen, about following this bearded knight off to become a Jedi and fight in the war. Owen a pacifist farmer, and Anakin bored and wanting adventure.

All this ruined with the introduction of Annie "yipee" Skywalker.

They can remedy the Owen/ Ben conflict.... They can make this REALLY GOOD.

I always felt there was a direct "quest" story left for Ben between the end of ROTS and ANH. Its during this time he discovers how to utilize the Force so he can directly influence living Jedi by learning how to "return" as a force ghost, whether it be as voice or spectre dispensing advice. A few of us really wanted to understand what had happened then, it must have been something significant so that both he and Yoda simply "evaporated" at the point of death to continue to influence from beyond the grave like no other Jedi before them.
Remember Vader disbelievingly stamping on Bens cloak in ANH?
There is a huge element in the nature of the Force changing then with Bens death that is never explained by anything in the OT.Personally I always hoped we'd see a collection of Jedi lightsabres and artefacts in Vaders "castle" with a shot of him gazing at his old mentors weapon whilst trying to figure out what had happened.
So you could construct a whole story there. Its even possible to tie it to a Vader/Ben conflict again, remember there is nothing in ANH or ROTS that indicates when Obi wans and Vaders last meeting was. It could easily be a few years after ROTS but at least a decade and a half before ANH ..... it doesn't have to be at the fire fight at the end of the ROTS. It could just as well be a force quest with both Vader and Ben looking for something that gives them that Force discovery, the knowledge that Yoda hinted at the end of the ROTS. Vaders says "I sense something, a presence I've not felt since...........". Who says "since" was ROTS and not something else. Vader ,on his recovery, must have been hellbent on searching for Obi wan for revenge. Let them meet one more time before ANH in a situation where neither is sure the other survived. Perhaps they both get involved fighting somebody else, some force master that is neither Jedi or Sith, maybe SNOKE!!!!
Or you could do any number of simple standard adventures on Tatooine involving Jawas , sand people or criminals in Mos Esley.

That's what happens when you base your imagination around vague statements. (Guilty here too.) Kenobi and Lars argued in the new comic series, Owen blamed Kenobi (and the Jedi) for Anakin's death. I surmise that, being Shmi was Owen's stepmother for several years, that she would mention how much she missed her son who left to become a Jedi years ago. Bitterness ensues because after all that has happened, Owen thinks Anakin should have never left his mother in the first place, even if Owen didn't know Anakin well, he did know his mother. The film could have having Kenobi wanting to give Luke the saber at a younger age, but Owen not wanting him to have anything to do with it. ("Your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damned fool idealistic crusade, like your father did.")

Meh, another anthology movie that doesn't need to happen but if they ever do it, I'd at least like to see them do a more personal, introspective type of tale restricted to events on Tatooine. I still wish they'd quit needlessly delving into established characters and explore new ones like they originally said they were going to do. I guess it's easier to mine material from existing legendary characters than create new ones. Next I guess we'll see Yoda open a successful travel agency during his exile on Dagobah or something...;)

The problem with sticking to Tatooine is having a film with consequences...but where those consequences won't make galactic waves. This would require not so much an introspective film as much as a "personal stakes" film. Like, a fight that nobody but the people involved care about, but for them, it's REALLY important.

I could see Kenobi being the Kambei character in a Seven Samurai on Tatooine movie. I would watch the hell out of that. Grizzled, tired veteran of war organizing some oppressed moisture farmers, inspiring them to stand up against raiding Sandpeople or extortionist Hutts or whatever. Yeah, sand guerrilla Kenobi. MAKE THIS MOVIE.

That's actually a really good fit. You could even work in some conflict with the Lars family.

When Ben said "He didn't hold with your father's ideals; he felt he should've stayed here and not gotten involved."

I remember watching "Legends of the Fall" where a family of farmers where broken up during the first world war because one wanted to fight, and the other not getting involved.

I always imagined a Young Anakin, maybe in his 20's, arguing with his brother, Owen, about following this bearded knight off to become a Jedi and fight in the war. Owen a pacifist farmer, and Anakin bored and wanting adventure.

All this ruined with the introduction of Annie "yipee" Skywalker.

They can remedy the Owen/ Ben conflict.... They can make this REALLY GOOD.

Right, but the way to do that is to have Obi-Wan and Owen meeting each other after Luke is living with him (e.g., like, age 6 or something), and them having some kind of discussion, maybe about how Anakin never should've joined the Jedi, never should have fought in the Clone Wars, because, if he hadn't, the Empire wouldn't be after his kid and the Lars family wouldn't be in danger. That's where the "not gotten involved" part could come in, and it doesn't require any interaction between Anakin and Owen at all.

I don't think that this becomes a story about Obi-Wan gallivanting across the galaxy. I think this has to be a more contained, small-scale Tatooine tale. The "Seven Samurai"/"Magnificent Seven" thing could work, but I think the problem would be that the moment Obi-Wan pulled out a sabre, he'd be in deep Bantha fodder. None of that means he can't use the Force or use other weapons, but you have to walk a pretty fine line.

IF Obi-Wan is related to Rey (e.g., her grandfather), then this is also the film or series of films where you can actually show him move away from the more ascetic teachings of the Jedi, fall in love, and maybe end up walking away from it to keep the mother safe, which in turn leads to her abandoning Rey for similar reasons.

It could work.

There could have been a time that Obi-Wan had heard of how Luke was showing signs of the Force & he knew of Luke's skill as a pilot in his T16,...& approached Owen several times trying to persuade him that Luke should be trained....it's obvious that Luke has met Ben,...so he has been in his life

Jabba has also experience with Jedi,.....Obi-Wan could have had dealings with the Hutts,...working for or against......Greedo,....Boba could make appearences

J

Well, it is never said that after Ben handed off Luke to Owen, that he stayed there and only there for the next twenty years. He could have done tons of stuff in that time.

That's the whole point of Obi Wan staying there though. He's there to protect Luke. I'm guessing they figured that Leia had enough protection from whoever guards the Alderaanian royalty and the family's standing.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back