Easter Island Movie Statue Prop

yaris

Sr Member
Okay I kind of mislead you with the title, but in my defence, Easter Island has some seriously cool monolithic statues and there was a reference in Night at the Museum and Rapa Nui, so I wanted a break from other prop stuff and thought this would be fun.

I don't actually have any idea what I'm doing, but with a pep file for $9 and some clay that I've never used before, I'm really enjoying this ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
After some advice form other builders and as the clay isn't really sticking that well to the resin over card stock, I've switched to mortar as an alternative, so I'll see how it dries....

Attachments

• IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
okay, mortar doesn't work and while the clay could be picked off, it didn't fall off like the mortar....so I think I'll rough up the card stock resin surface and use the clay again.

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
How to rough up the resin coated card stock.....???

I needed a cheap grit paint something, so I had some white house paint and table salt, so I mixed it up and painted it on.

The surface now feels more gritty, so I'm hoping the clay will stick better.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
I've used a mixture of white glue, latex/acrylic paint, and sand to add texture to miniature buildings. I'd probably go that way if it were me. The thing that would worry me more about salt is that it dissolves when wet.

-Rog

The salt and paint gave it a nice rough texture, but the clay has very little stick at all to this now so I sprayed it with clear laquer and I'll see if the clay stick to that.

Clay is sticking much better now, a few little updates...

Attachments

• IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 79
some more updates....i'm really enjoying this clay work stuff....never done anything like this before...rookie work I know.....I can see why peeps love sculpting...;)....One of the photos below has the little brown turd pep version,:lol he was the original pep file, so small, so I scale the pep file 200% to get the beast I have now.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
A little more work done, I was concerned I'd have to do a lot of work getting the overall shape more true, but I like the way it kind of looks carved from rock.

I told my wife, I like how it's working out and said I'm going to build a bigger version 2m tall....she said "do what ever you like, but it's not coming inside":lol

Attachments

• IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 49
That looks absolutely fantastic ... well done ... and you do know that the original statues wore hats and had eyes placed in their sockets on special occassions? :)

Chaim

That looks absolutely fantastic ... well done ... and you do know that the original statues wore hats and had eyes placed in their sockets on special occassions? :)

Chaim

yeah super weird and the hats look like giant buckets and most of the statues have bodies that are buried under ground level.;)

Also, they were 'walked' into place from where they were carved to the final site. Bunch of historians, archaeologists, etc. teamed up and ran a practical experiment to test the theory. Because of the specific shape of the statues' bases and the way the center of gravity is placed, it is possible, using ropes and opposing teams, to 'teeter-toter' the statue so it 'falls forward' and rotates, which when controlled, 'walks' the head along. Was on a NOVA episode that showed how it was done. After they worked out the method, they could get that thing going quite fast (for a huge chunk of rock!) Also explained the various 'junk' heads scattered about that didn't quite make it...

R/ Robert

Finished all the back and lower clay work, so now it's done. I will paint it and airbrush some effect.

I've enjoyed this project because it allowed me to use clay, which I've never used before. It might sound weird, but working with clay is so therapeutic. It's organic and you use you hands and water and some basic tools. My end result may not look that great, but I like it and it is really something different from molding and casting. There's no glue or hard substrates, it's much fun;)

Attachments

• IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Added some colour, looks a bit better...gunna build a six foot one next;)

Attachments

• IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back