My 501st approved Kylo Ren for under $1,000.

Arcarsenal

My submission images can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/PrjHu. This took my wife and I about three months to complete, and was 501st approved by two GMLs (one of whom has an approved Kylo himself) in less than 24hrs from my submission. For full disclosure, this is my first attempt at doing anything like this. I am not a previous member of the 501st. I am a historian by trade, and my wife has modest sewing skills at best, so there was a lot of trial and error and frustration along the way. The only tutorial we used was Dawn Bright's capelet tutorial, as we had no idea how to achieve that look. I have, however, been a lurker of this subform throughout the entire process, getting ideas from various posts, so I wanted to share with you all how I achieved this.

For anyone curious about my height, I am roughly the same height and build as Adam Driver (6'4 and 190lbs), but I'm not nearly as shredded.

A rundown of everything and its cost is below. Keep in mind that while there are more expensive alternatives out there, all of this was approved by two GMLs within the 501st. Your experience may vary from GML to GML, but I think a lot of it comes down to the total composite look.

Helmet: modded Black Series with the Disney faceplate. Plastic welded all of the seams, sanded it down and repainted a semigloss black. The interior visor is an black aluminum screen layered four times over. The inside is padded with a black exercise mat and form fits to my head. The interior is also fiberglassed for reinforcement. I have never attempted anything I just listed, and was completely terrified the entire time, but it came out okay. Total cost around $150.

Saber: Black Series with small strands of hot glue. I've seen a lot of people go overboard with the glue on this one. I really think less is more in this case. $180.

Neck seal: faux leather seal from creative art shop on Etsy. I cut another piece of rigid faux leather and velcroed it to the inside of the seal so that it runs all the way up to the base of my chin without the seal sort of crumpling down as I move my head around. $100.

Belt: from PHProps on Etsy, $175.

Gloves: cheap Kylo cosplay gloves on Amazon for $25. I will likely be replacing them with the Kylo gloves from Endor Finders, which are only a bit more.

Pants: women's jeggings from Walmart, $12. I got them a size to big (XL) so they are only skin tight on my cavs, which are covered by my boots anyway.

Boots: general cosplay boots from Amazon (Funtasma by Pleaser) that I put an extra strap and silver buckles on. $66. I do have Kboots on order from the last run of imperialboots, but they were not needed for acceptance into the 501st. Modding these boots works fine depending on your GML.

Inner tunic: tailored tunic from xcoser. I had to sew down the collar as well. $100.

Midcoat: sewn by my wife and I from a black wool/linen blend from Joanns. We used five yards, cost about $45.

Surcoat, capelet and hood: sewn by my wife and I from black monk's cloth ordered from fabric.com. We used about 12 yards. $150. I searched forever to find a decent basket weave but ultimately had to settle on monk's cloth. I'll be keeping an eye out on cosplayfabrics.com for Luke's fabric in the future.

Total cost around $913.

Welcome to the RPF - and Congrats on your approval. I think I might speak for a lot of people here - we appreciate your work and your great explanations! SEE? You CAN do this for a reasonable cost AND get your approvals! (< $1,000 IS reasonable for this outfit!) Always room to improve and/or upgrade as desire, time and money allow! And as always... TALK to you local GML and get their opinions!
Happy Trooping!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back