All Things Virtual Reality

Re: The current state of Virtual Reality: another period of gimmickry or a true start

Well that's good ;)

Would have preferred next-gen era (TNG, DS9, VOY) styled game
Oh I agree. I would think that an expansion/mod is only inevitable.

Is it ? Reviews are not great. I've been waiting for ever for this one but the reviews sound like it is basically unplayable solo.
It's definitely playable solo but the multiplayer is definitely 90% of the appeal.

So far I'm treating solo mode as a trainer. I'm playing through missions as captain and later on I'll start to learn the other stations.

I honestly think that if multiplayer wasn't so cool the solo mode wouldn't seem lacking to some of those reviewers. For me at least, even if the game was lackluster, (which it isn't IMO) it's worth the price of admission just to experience being in the captains chair or being on the bridge in VR, or just sitting in the menu screen where you're in a shuttle coasting around the docked the Aegis. I'm not going to have those experiences otherwise.

My only criticism really is the lack of ability to get up and walk around. This is purely a seated experience. I understand why they did this - otherwise more folks would be having dance parties on the bridge than actually playing the game or doing obscene interactions. Still, I think they could have allowed for it at least in solo mode so I could walk around.

Speaking of walkarounds, there's one guy working on a precise recreation of Decker's apartment from Blade Runner down to every last appliance. I'll have to check in to see when it might be done. I just want to sit in that space. http://www.br9732.com/

Re: The current state of Virtual Reality: another period of gimmickry or a true start

Okay thanks for the feedback, I'll guess I'll pick it up.

*Deckard :p

Okay thanks for the feedback, I'll guess I'll pick it up.

*Deckard :p
startrek-mattdecker-e1474684831351.jpg

Picked up the Rick and Morty VR, pretty fun ! I was actually laughing out loud first time I stepped into the garage as a Morty clone, doing random stuff and getting mistreated by Rick ! The "campaign" is indeed not very long, but if you take your sweet time and experiment with Rick's stuff along the way, it's well worth the price.

Don't forget to try "Accounting" it's from the same guys as Rick and Morty, still one of the funniest experiences for the Vive.

Ands it's free

Will definitely check it out.
I have to say, the floating hands/guns/... don't bother me as much as I thought they would, you soon forget it's missing your arms ! However, what I'm not getting used too, is the resolution. I think I've yet to find the perfect setting for me, but does it always look like you're looking through a mesh fabric ? Especially on light images ? Tried super sampling, but it gave me jitters everywhere. Might retry with a lower number. Not running a potato, but I wonder if the Ryzen 5 1600x is not a tiny bit underpowered for VR. Of course I didn't build the PC for VR, so can't complain much. The GTX 1070 however should be plenty enough.

Does anybody have tricks to try to find the viewing distance right ? And the IDP ? I tried measuring them and all, but I still feel it's not quite right...

You only really notice the screen door effect when you are really looking for it, when playing a game it just disapears for me 99 percent of the time, also using supersampling helps a lot and it is more/less noticable depending on the game you play.

To get the distance between my eyes to a sweet spot i usually put the vive on and walk to the edge of my playspace so that the blue boundary grid is right in my face, then i adjust the distance untill the blue lines in the center of my view are in focus as much as possible. With a GTX 1070 (same as me) i pretty much always run my supersampling at 1.5, anything more and i start to notice my frames dropping.

I manually do this in my steam config file and not via the steamvr beta, the supersampling works different on that.
I also have a pretty weak CPU but i only notice slowdown in Onward and not any other games (because it's a poorly optimized game)

Also disable interleaved reprojection and enable asynchronous reprojection in your vive settings

Also it's very important that you put the vive on in the right way, it should be sitting high on the bridge of your nose! so put the back strap on first and make sure it cups the base of your skull, then slide the front section down.

Just take a look at the vive subreddit, there is a lot of info that you may find helpfull.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks a lot man ! Thinking of buying the audio strap, that might improve the fit as well. One of the earbuds always slips, tugged away by the cables after a little while. Had to supersampling in the config file to 2.5, that might be overkill for my setup, will try 1.5.

I don't think anybody on earth can run supersampeling on 2.5 smoothly:lol

GTX 1070 should work fine at 1.5 and you will need a 1080 to run 2.0 without any problems.

Yeah the headstrap is without a doubt the weakest link on the vive, when the unit with the updated foam gets release i'll probably be picking one up, should make it a hell of a lot more comforable.

Tried a game called Holopoint in my quest for fun workout games. I think I hit the holy grail. Basically it's the Long bow game from the lab, but you shoot cubes that shoot back at you in a dojo, from everywhere around you. So you find yourself in a weird, intense dance of nocking arrows, shooting, dodging projectiles and repeat as fast as you can, while feeling like freaking Legolas. Didn't feel like exercise, until i took out the mask, and realized I was drenched from head to toe in sweat, and after taking a shower, I can now barely move ! May have gone a bit too strong too soon given I didn't set a foot in a gym for over a year, but I found my new routine.

Latest update to Star Trek Bridge Crew adds voice recognition to the solo game ... now you can bark orders as the captain instead of dealing with order menus! I can hardly wait to try this! Just gotta make sure the wife and kids are not around or they'll mess with me.

On Oculus this weekend they're doing free beta for Echo Arena. its one of the funnest things I've ever done. Zero-G Enders Game frisbee

The vive is $100 off today for amazon prime deal day, but you can forget about it dropping to oculus prices anytime soon:p

Oculus is in big trouble and they know it, HTC will not drop the pice atm because they simply don't need to.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back