Mark 46 build 3D print

Yes that JB weld works great for bonding PETG. I use to make my own acrylic aquariums with that stuff. Love it :)

About the printer, haven't heard of it and just took a look at it online. The only problem is that it has only has a 8x8 inch print volume. Which is quite small for building Armor. It can be done but you will have many more slices to do. Also, I see that the printer uses 1.75mm filament in a cartridge style which might limit your ability to choose other filament brands since the reels come in different diameters and widths.

If you are looking for a printer for building Armor I would look for one with a larger print volume. E.g. My SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V3 kit I built has almost 11.5 inch x 15 inch capability and works great for those long parts like the calves, thighs and shins. If I could get more than a 2lb roll of filament I could almost print the entire helmet on one print. :)

Interesting. I'm looking at it now. What do you mean by "built" and did you have to build an enclosure for it to keep the ambient conditions stable? Any tips for print speed and quality?

Interesting. I'm looking at it now. What do you mean by "built" and did you have to build an enclosure for it to keep the ambient conditions stable? Any tips for print speed and quality?

It's basically a kit that I built. You can buy the same printer assembled but it's about $1000 more. I usually print with PETG so no enclosures needed. If you're printing with ABS then you would probably need an enclosure. The good thing about building the printer yourself is that you get to know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's basically a kit that I built. You can buy the same printer assembled but it's about $1000 more. Are usually print with BTG so no enclosures needed. If you're bringing with ABS then you would probably need an enclosure. The good thing about building the printer yourself is that you get to know it.

I'm just getting into this so please excuse my ignorance but what is BTG? I'd prefer to build it myself since I'm a mechanical engineer and love learning how things work. So ABS is the best material for armor?

I'm just getting into this so please excuse my ignorance but what is BTG? I'd prefer to build it myself since I'm a mechanical engineer and love learning how things work. So ABS is the best material for armor?

Sorry was typing from my Iphone (Darn autotype). I print mostly with PETG (Inland Brand from Micro Center). I dont mess with ABS because it is much more difficult to print (Warping) especially doing tall builds, not to mention the smell.

Sorry was typing from my Iphone (Darn autotype). I print mostly with PETG (Inland Brand from Micro Center). I dont mess with ABS because it is much more difficult to print (Warping) especially doing tall builds, not to mention the smell.

Ahh 10-4. PETG it is then. I was trying to branch off from your thread where you talk about the helmet face shield hinge and linkages. Were you ever able to print those yourself or is that kit on eBay still the best solution?

The ebay kit I used works great, but if your good at CAD, I would try and custom make the hinge kit yourself. Each helmet is different and you will find that you have to adjust it to make it work right. There are so many variables (The servo you choose, size of the helmet etc..)

The ebay kit I used works great, but if your good at CAD, I would try and custom make the hinge kit yourself. Each helmet is different and you will find that you have to adjust it to make it work right. There are so many variables (The servo you choose, size of the helmet etc..)

Cool. Yeah I'm decent in Inventor and Solid Works so I'll take a stab at it. Do you have any recent pics of armor youve printed off with the SeeMeCNC printer?

Cool. Yeah I'm decent in Inventor and Solid Works so I'll take a stab at it. Do you have any recent pics of armor youve printed off with the SeeMeCNC printer?

This is my most recent one and was pretty much done 100% on the SeeMeCNC.

IMG_2175_zpsjttdps4n.jpg

IMG_2185_zpsxk4vjfdg.jpg

Thanks. :) My printing resolution is usually at medium. Really doesn't make sense to go high because it will take twice as long and you still will have to smooth and finish the outside anyways.

Thanks!

Wow that's huge. 10lb roll of PETG, the price is about right to considering I pay $18 for a 2lb a roll at micro center. . That would solve quite a bit of waste I had with other rolls. For example, each roll I purchase is 2lbs each. However, I usually will have .20lbs left on a roll and would have to purchase and put a new roll on just to print something that is only .30lbs. Then I wouldn't have all the extra rolls laying around with .10-.20lbs on them.

I could definitely make it happen, would just would have to make a big spool holder.

Thanks. :) My printing resolution is usually at medium. Really doesn't make sense to go high because it will take twice as long and you still will have to smooth and finish the outside anyways.

Thanks!

Wow that's huge. 10lb roll of PETG, the price is about right to considering I pay $18 for a 2lb a roll at micro center. . That would solve quite a bit of waste I had with other rolls. For example, each roll I purchase is 2lbs each. However, I usually will have .20lbs left on a roll and would have to purchase and put a new roll on just to print something that is only .30lbs. Then I wouldn't have all the extra rolls laying around with .10-.20lbs on them.

I could definitely make it happen, would just would have to make a big spool holder.

Awesome. Maybe next time you can print the helmet in one go ;)

What method are you currently using to connect the different major segments of armor, like on your new War Machine project?

Hey TKCC71 your armor is ABSOLUTLEY AMAZING and I've been preparing myself to engage in a build like this for months now and finally purchased my first 3d printer. Ive ordered the Creality CR-10 printer and am completely new to every aspect of 3d printing. I was wondering where you purchased your mark 46 files and if you wouldn't mind giving me some tips about printer configuration for a project of this complexity. Thank you so much for your time and for providing such a perfect example and inspiration for builders and fans such as myself.

Awesome. Maybe next time you can print the helmet in one go ;)

What method are you currently using to connect the different major segments of armor, like on your new War Machine project?

Mostly using button snaps now, seems to work the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, this is a really hard question to answer with regards to the printer as each printer is different. With regards to files, there are a few sources out there and on the forum. Mine had come from Do3D, and there others out there on Etsy as well.

TKCC71, let me know if you'd rather have me make my own post on this so I dont hijack/muck up your build post!

I had a mis-print face shell that I'm using as the test dummy (actual is in paint at the moment). Model of the assembly and actual photo. I'm printing a generic dual servo mount that I found on thingiverse that I will test the fit. So far it's looking a tad wide, but we will see.

I don't mind at all. That looks really nice and I like that thin profile. I made the following but wont be able to test it out until the new helmet is done printing. I would like to print a couple options and see what works best. The servo bracket and hinge I made in the attached photo was done with a micrometer so hopefully it should be spot on. The duo helmet servos I'm using are Tower Pro SG92R's.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j360/Tjsailosullivan/IMG_0763_zps4bxxjjlk.jpg

I'm just starting out on my own build of this ... if this hinge worked out well, would you be willing to share the STL? I've needed to scale up my helmet a bit from the Do3D file (and might need to scale again as I'm not sure there's room to fit servos in at the current size). I've tried a couple of emails to Do3D asking if they'd provide files for a hinge solution but I haven't received any asnwer.

Thanks guys. Painting it is my favorite part. :)

New project in the works. Do3D made a really nice unibeam for me to add to the center of this chest to add some detail. Those guys have some serious talent.

Part of the unibeam is currently printing it as we speak. I scaled it to fit in the center circle of the arc. Then I will plan making a mold of it in clear cast aryclic. Also just picked up my Arduino Uno starter kit to start experimenting with some of the electronics. (with the help and guidance of x197). :)

3d-printable-arc-reactor-iron-man-by-do3d_zps0smhwphq.jpg
hi how do i get this file? ive been looking for it for AGES to print it. any help would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU

I'm at a crossroads, what file should I buy do3d or MaxCrft, I think I am way over thinking this.

Personally not a big fan of the Do3D Mk46/47. It's very high priced but not screen accurate. MaxCrft files were made before the movie came out, he's in the process of remodeling it during this year.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back