Tusken Raider weapons and gear...

Best. Thread. Ever.

Seriously - love the Tuskens, which reminds me - FortTusken! Any updates for a Maceless Totokia-havin' guy like myself?

Rock on, Jason

Patience young Jedi! As soon as I get my basement finished- a couple weeks hopefully, I will work on a batch of mace ends.

Wheee! The circle will soon be complete!

Thanks man! You do stellar work - and they naturally patina to a great grimy finish!

tusken03.jpg

(Gaffi that I sold to Simmon a while back... how I miss it)

Jason

Hmm, that Rancor Keeper weapon looks totally different than the toy. The toy shows it having a rounded spike half on each side. The real thing doesn't look like that, but rather a cross shaped spike on the end (when looking from the tip).

Man I need to get one of those things....seems like I've been putting off finishing my tusken forever
icon_smile.gif

Is the fiji shop still the best place to get these things and do most people have good luck getting one to resemble the ANH version? Their final price with shipping will end up being how much?...$180.00?
BTW, Anyone have a RL blanket they don't want?
icon_smile.gif

Ok, now slightly off from my original inquiry... how about the gloves? Have they been identified? In some pics I think I can almost see a gauntlet of some kind... but it could be something else. ...maybe a welder's glove?

I also agree that E and F are the same stick.
To go one step further the E/F Gaffi is also the one missing the pineapple end. I think that E/F was broken first while filming that scene and then D was substituted, hence the reason for two Gaffi's in one scene.
In the inset photo of E from Chronicles look closely under the Tusken's right hand. They used Gaffer tape to reattach the "pineapple" head. A temporary fix for publicity photos.
Also note that the tip of the pineapple on E/F was also broken off (hence the main difference between the two photos). The tip is missing in Chronicles pics but they apparently still had it because it was glued back on, the Gaffer tape was removed and the pineapple was properly glued as well. Thank goodness someone thought to save the pieces during filming.
The repaired Gaffi is seen in the later archive photo (the foreshortened one), the Art of Star Wars (1995), and at Magic of Myth.
I noticed the seam line from the broken tip last time I was at MoM.

I never noticed that Gaffi D was also broken during shooting. I'll have to check that out.

Yeah, gaffis are pretty easy to break. I dropped my totokia on a tile floor and the pineapple broke right off at the base. It was actually pretty easy to fix... some 2-ton epoxy and you can't even tell.

GH- I'm pretty sure the gloves are garden variety... literally. Not the same as the Jawa jersey gloves, but equivalent ones can still be found. These days they usually seem to have a brightly colored elastic cuff on them though.

Adam

This is a great thread. Not to Hijack but I was wondering if anyone has a definitive idea on what pattern the robes were on the originals in ANH. I want to upgrade my costume but don't want to cut into my coveted Ralph Lauren blanky until I know exactly what to do with it.

Another thing to do to make a Totokia look better is to restain it. Mine were black and I have taken one and stripped the black paint off restained it brown and then oiled it with linseed oil. It looks very close to the originals now and the woodgrain is very nice. I was lucky to get two that are pretty close to the ANH style years ago. I will hopefully post some pictures next week.

Actually, as long as it pertains to Tusken "gear", I don't consider it hijacking at all...

Adam, I've been looking around in garden centers and haven't seen the right type of glove yet. Have you found any?

Steve

I ended up using some sued leather gardening gloves that are the right color. I prefer leather even if the originals were cloth. I still want to redo all my wrappings though. A not so good picture of them before any weathering or wrappings:
tr_side.jpg

Are the Tuskens arms supposed to be wrapped in bandages too? They are on the Hasbro 12" figure. I did this on my mannequin as it is also a good way of covering the arms if they are visible due to the sleeves being so baggy.

I used tan leather gloves on mine (painted dirty) and made some forearm pieces that attach around the thumb of my gloves and the whole thing slides on like a gauntlet glove.

For gloves: http://www.oregonglove.com/content/007_canvas.asp

They are cheap, and the same ones used for Snowtroopers. Listed as "white", but actually kind of "natural-colored" when you get them. I use them for my Tusken and Snowtrooper costumes.

You can look at the glove detail here. They are EXACTLY the same as the ones from Oregon glove (top of the page with white cuffs).

glove detail.jpg

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Mr Fett wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
That's a sweet nasty lookin' club there, Fetthunter!
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Thank ya! That's why I bought it!
icon_wink.gif

More pics of my Fijian Via Via Gata:

via rocks.jpg

via head.jpg

via handle.jpg

The real gloves were canvas like Fetthunter shows. Of course the original patterns were a bit different, but that's as close as anything I've found. You can see the twill weave of the fabric in the Chronicles, and that's the important part.

Adam

Adam wrote - "The Rancor Keeper club never made it on screen, but I suppose Kenner is responsible for canonizing it. "

Just watching ROTJ tonight I noticed the Rancor Keeper DOES have his Gaffi Stick. You can't see it very well since he's holding it down in his right hand as he runs in to see the Rancor after Luke kills it. The metal point is towards the ground and not visible, but theres a few frames where you can clearly see the pineapple end (near is elbow when they show him from behind).
The photo on the original action figure packaging also shows him with the stick.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back