Logan's Run wall crystal

This looks great; I can't wait to see the finished product! Watch out for the Bondo fumes, though. I try to do that kind of stuff over in cathedral where the cubs don't notice the smell because they're too strung out on muscle.

You could mold this in clear plastic. Vacuum form using a thin plastic in red or clear and paint it, and use your original for the mold. Might need to seal it with something to keep the paint off the plastic 1st.. Nice work.

Interesting. I have never done something (vacuum form) that big with so many facets. You could make a quick custom sized vacuum machine fairly simply...but I wonder, might be difficult to get it to release from the mold. Someone with more experience could chime on about that.

You would lose some sharpness but gain a uniformity. It would be light. A plastic form could be lit from behind. You could even use a glossy red hips plastic or similar. Some neat possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't tell from the photo if it has undercuts, if so it wouldnt work to mold it. If not then pull it off the mold while it is still hot and not so hot that it sags bad. I used to run a company that made 1 piece molded plastic faces for signs up to 7'x14'. Need help just ask what ya need to know.

Great Bizarro: "I can't tell from the photo if it has undercuts" No undercuts. I built it from scratch in 3D myself, and redesigned it so the facets all fit within a surrounding circle, and so there would be no undercuts to cause problems.

Tictoc: I live in an apartment in San Francisco, so I have no space even to build a temporary vacuum former.

Last edited:
vZkfz9V.gif

Renew! Renew!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back