Hasbro Black Series Rogue One Stormtrooper Helmet

before you join the two parts together, wet both audio contacts with some water. it's an old trick, but it works!

the stormtrooper helmets do have decent audio, it's the bad connection that is causing the problem.

most new audio contacts have a layer of grease which stops the contact from working... a bit of water helps the connection.
Anyone tried this?
Should I pry mine apart again?

I mean I do get some very faint audio, so there must be some contact.

I gotta tell you, I am seriously in love with these earcaps. They fix the horrible asymmetry of the originals --

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Stormtrooper/DSC02381_zpsn3xguwhu.jpg

-- as well as the horrible undersizing of the MR CE. I'd prefer not to buy a whole other helmet just for the earcaps to upgrade my MR CE... *sigh*

--Jonah

Sorry, I can't help with info on Hasbro's policies but I agree with you 100% on the asymmetry thing. I suppose it depends on your point of view - some are aiming to replicate the props (in which case the asymmetry is crucial) whereas others, like me, are interested in replicating what the Empire would have used if it was real. To my mind any outfit capable of building a planet destroying space station wouldn't equip its troops with wonky plastic helmets with painted on vents - hence my love of the Black Series helmet seems far more realistic to me.

As to the Rubies First Order helmet - I've received mine now and it does look undersized compared to the Black Series. It's nicely proportioned though and with a bit of work (lenses, mesh, seam filling, repainting etc) will look great on the shelf. It just needs to be on the opposite side of the room to the Black Series tub!!! Looking forward to getting stuck in to it.

Sorry, I can't help with info on Hasbro's policies but I agree with you 100% on the asymmetry thing. I suppose it depends on your point of view - some are aiming to replicate the props (in which case the asymmetry is crucial) whereas others, like me, are interested in replicating what the Empire would have used if it was real. To my mind any outfit capable of building a planet destroying space station wouldn't equip its troops with wonky plastic helmets with painted on vents - hence my love of the Black Series helmet seems far more realistic to me.

That's been my approach for a while now. I had been getting seriously frustrated trying to correct the asymmetry of the original. Most was correctable with a bit of putty and elbow grease (traps and tears, left half of the frown, etc.), but balancing out the earcap brackets and the aerator shrouds was a terrifying prospect and I stalled out until the MR CE came out. As you can see from the picture below, the HBS pretty accurately recreates (ear greeblie aside) the shape of the better of the two original earcaps -- size, length, flare, curve, everything -- and then mirrored it for the other side.

As to the Rubies First Order helmet - I've received mine now and it does look undersized compared to the Black Series. It's nicely proportioned though and with a bit of work (lenses, mesh, seam filling, repainting etc) will look great on the shelf. It just needs to be on the opposite side of the room to the Black Series tub!!! Looking forward to getting stuck in to it.

If you find a solution for the lenses, let me know?

Are the MR CE earcaps undersized?

Oh yeah. That's the MR CE in the middle. TE2 (with lineage) on the left, HBS Shadow Trooper on the right. The overall diameter of the round part is only about the size of the raised cap on the others, and the bracket is way too skinny front-to-back, and the lower flares seriously lacking.

fdbvv_zpstmtzfbjt.jpg

--Jonah

Attachments

• fdbvv_zpstmtzfbjt.jpg
    fdbvv_zpstmtzfbjt.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 41
  • fdbvv_zpstmtzfbjt.jpg
    fdbvv_zpstmtzfbjt.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 42
  • fdbvv_zpstmtzfbjt.jpg
    fdbvv_zpstmtzfbjt.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
"Anyone tried this?
Should I pry mine apart again?"

Good luck with that. I managed to get the dome off but couldn't get the front and back sections disconnnected for love nor money.

Last edited:
Anyone tried this?
Should I pry mine apart again?

I mean I do get some very faint audio, so there must be some contact.

Try putting your mouth right up to the mic and talk. Mine worked fine and was loud when I did that. Without fiddling with or cleaning the contacts.

If you still think it needs better conductivity. Then clean the contacts with a degreaser, rubbing alcohol should do fine. And get conductive grease or another conductivity enhancer.

Try putting your mouth right up to the mic and talk. Mine worked fine and was loud when I did that. Without fiddling with or cleaning the contacts.

If you still think it needs better conductivity. Then clean the contacts with a degreaser, rubbing alcohol should do fine. And get conductive grease or another conductivity enhancer.
sounds better than my usual spit solution!

I had to blow really hard into the mic to get the speaker make any sound. So there must be at least some contact.
And I visually checked the contacts before assembly.
But it doesn't fit me anyways. Probably not gonna mess with it any further.

hopefully this hasn't been asked yet :)

for those who owns both the black series and MRCE, size wise (inside the helmet/over your head), how does it compare with the MRCE?

personally the MRCE is too small for me, it is especially a really tight squeeze around my temple

If you take out the inner stuff of the HBS, the top of the helmet is a few millimeters less in circumference than the MR CE, but given how far that is toward the top of one's head, it shouldn't make much of a difference. In general, they're about the same size.

--Jonah

If you take out the inner stuff of the HBS, the top of the helmet is a few millimeters less in circumference than the MR CE, but given how far that is toward the top of one's head, it shouldn't make much of a difference. In general, they're about the same size.

--Jonah

thx Jonah, in that case I will save my money, as I am looking for a wearable bucket at an affordable price :)

I think the only two options, currently, for a Stormtrooper helmet for people with biggish heads are an old FX bucket, extensively modded to make various things more accurate, or RT-MOD.

Alternatively, there are some good pepakura files out there, if one has the skill and patience to do it from scratch, or commission it done...

--Jonah

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back