Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

I was making a joke about the fact that Marion was only 13-14 when they first got together, and Indy was waaaay older.

Yeah, they never give her birth year in the movie. Official publications have her at 18 when they got together. Basically, having Marion be overly young is an abandoned early idea as far as the filmmakers are concerned. Her line still works with as college freshman and a dashing grad student who is a friend of her father's.

Guys, relax. I was just adding to the unintentional dirt-bagging of Indy, who is awesome. I'm not trying say anything. If we're theorizing he has more than one ******* child, it makes him seem sketchy, and I was just making another observation to that point thinking people knew what I was talking about. My mistake.

That said, google up the story session transcript of Speilberg, Lucas, and Kasdan breaking down ideas for Raiders. They implicity say she was under age, and they were cool with it. It is decidedly unwoke, even for 1980, but obviously things were adjusted and Indy is a swell guy.

It’s funny that it’s even a thing but I guess it is, I wonder what country has the most issue with it. By the way, is it just me or does seeing “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” twice still not make it memorable? I’m going to have to see it again.

I was making a joke about the fact that Marion was only 13-14 when they first got together, and Indy was waaaay older.
Ah, sorry. My mind was still on the discussion about Indy being a deadbeat dad to Mutt, and somehow the whole thing got jumbled together.

I think I heard once in an interview that originally they had talked about yet another attempt to repackage James Bond, but instead decided to try something original, and Raiders of the Lost Ark was born.

Turned out to be a good idea that bears remembering when considering yet another attempt at repackaging.

I think I heard once in an interview that originally they had talked about yet another attempt to repackage James Bond, but instead decided to try something original, and Raiders of the Lost Ark was born.

Turned out to be a good idea that bears remembering when considering yet another attempt at repackaging.

The story goes that Spielberg mentioned he would like to direct a James Bond movie to Lucas while they were sitting on the beach. Lucas replied that he had a better idea, and Raiders was born. At least that’s the way that they tell it.

I held out hope for so long with Star Wars and Indiana Jones sequels. No more. Those franchises ended in the 1980's and that's fine by me. Most of Hollywood fare is creatively bankrupt and/ or downright manipulative and I've moved my focus to replicating props and costumes from the movies I love rather than trying to make pieces from movies I don't have much of an emotional investment in, no matter how cool they look as props/ costumes.

As much as I enjoyed discussing/ debating these movies in the entertainment forums over the years, I've given up trying and would rather focus my efforts elsewhere. I miss it from time to time and I guess that's why I decided to post here after about a month. So a new Indiana Jones movie is in the works? The only thing I would be interested in seeing is a resurgence in the availability of Indiana Jones props and costume pieces. Particularly the resurgence that will come with a renewed interest in whips and whip cracking as a hobby, despite the irony that each subsequent film has less and less whip action that the film that precedes it. That will be cool, but the film itself is of little to no interest to me. As far as I'm concerned, Indy rode off into the sunset with Henry Sr., Marcus and Sallah and that was the end of the story.

The only coda to that was I got to meet Marion Ravenwood herself at a convention a few years ago. ;)

Last edited:
Just so I'm clear - are you saying that because you want the franchise to keep going, or because you are resigned that it will keep going, whether you'd want it to or not?

I guess my view is - Indiana Jones is a character, not a "universe". Just like any character (or real person), when his story ends, it ends, Taking away the title character, there's no real "universe" or franchise-specific mythology left to explore (it's just our world, from many decades past, with the IJ character being the only unique aspect).

My view is that Harrison Ford embodied Indiana Jones - when he no longer is able to play the part, there's really no external reason to continue, no "story" left to tell that can only be told with this character in this universe.. If you (meaning the studio or the audience) want a swashbuckling adventurer chasing historical relics, feel free to come up with a new, different one (just as many novelists and filmmakers did both before and after IJ). There's no compelling reason to continue this particular franchise at that point, or to continue to use the "IJ Franchise Name" to shove a new character in.

M

Ever heard of James Bond or Mad Max? These are "character" franchises that have been successfully rebooted. I don't see why Indy can't turn into a similar character like Bond and Mad Max who allow new actors to have a unique take on the titular character...

If that's the case, I'm almost positive they'll take Dr. Jones, make him disappear on an adventure, and have one of his former student's go on an adventure to find him and what Jones was originally looking for.... Pass the torch as Dr. Jones dies saving the student's life...

If that's the case, I'm almost positive they'll take Dr. Jones, make him disappear on an adventure, and have one of his former student's go on an adventure to find him and what Jones was originally looking for.... Pass the torch as Dr. Jones dies saving the student's life...

I think it is almost going to have to be passing the torch on or de-aging Dr. Jones at this point. Theres few other options considering how Ford is aging at the moment.

Ford is turning into a flounder. If his nose gets anymore crooked, its going to wind up on the side of his face...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'd like to see Jones on his death bed... Quietly telling a tale to a younger person who picks up the reigns for a huge adventure. Pass the torch etc.

Indy belongs in the '30s fighting pre-war nazis.

I'd rather have a "Tales of the Gold Monkey" reboot than another lame Indy sequel.

gold-monkey-001.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back