Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

For all those old Hammer film and H.Rider Haggard fans I'd suggest :
"Indiana Jones and the Temple of Ayesha".

Personally I think that perhaps they might be waiting for a couple of things:
(1) A great script.

(2) To see if its economically possible to de age Harrison for a lot of the film without blowing the budget.

I know that "Captain Marvel" will involve the extensive use of that process to retro both Nick Fury and Colson by twenty five years for the entire movie, so I kind of think they might do that with Harrison. But its whether they do that for part of the film, like a flashback, then link it into a forward part of the story or do it for the lot of it.

Personally I don't care if its a family member that gets to be the next "Indy" as long as the hat and the whip gets past on, like it was so beautifully done in "The Last Crusade" . I can see Harrison saying something like " I lost today kid and you don't have to like it...."

Short round should have a daughter and she should be the one. Maybe he names her Indiana also? This would open the film to an Asian market as well which seems to be difficult to do. Although culturally the two are far different in film expectations. I just don’t think that anyone can replace Harrison Ford for Indiana Jones. It would have to be someone completely different but somehow related to the story line. Harrison’s Indiana was specific and you can’t recreate that. The era was different and you can’t recreate that. Loan Chabanol meets Maggie Q but somewhere in the 18-19 range so we can get lots of sequels.

Another vote to bring Short Round back into the franchise somehow.

With him being so young in TOD, it doesn't really need to be the same actor as before. They could cast some other Asian leading-man actor.

Orrrrrrrrr....we could just...let it go? Be happy with the memories we have of the originals and leave it at that?

Pshhhh. That's crazy talk!

BUT THERE'S MONEY TO BE MADE!!!
Huyang is right though.

You can't replace Ford really, but you also can't stay in the 30s/40s with Ford. The 50s of Crystal Skull was okay, but much later and you just don't have that serial vibe anymore.

It seems like the options are:

1. Keep Ford and let the franchise move into the 60s/70s
2. Hand off the mantle, but not the character specifically, to a successor-- Short Round, Mutt (ugh) or somebody else.
3. A combination of these two
4. A recast/reboot that takes it back to the 30s serial era with a new Indy
5. Recast Indy, set the movies in the 30s, but just pretend it's the same character despite the recasting so not a technical reboot
6. De-age Ford for one film, set in the serial era that sets up other adventurers working in the same way/era to force a shared universe of other characters we could follow in spin-offs

Honestly, NONE of these feels right. Indy isn't like Bond or Batman where recasting is part of its DNA... then again, Captain Kirk was recast and some people seem to think that worked out okay...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet they are kicking themselves for not giving Indy a daughter in the last movie. It would have been a great duo with Indy being a ladies man and having to deal with an adult daughter. Maybe they were worried about them calling it a Lara Croft ripoff (irony....) or something, I don't know. It would have been way more funny than Mutt.

Mutt was a calculated move. Shia was the apple of Speilberg's eye. I fully believe they intended to turn the franchise over to him. Him going off the deep end and becoming an art house only actor torpedoed the idea.

Well, that and the fact that most people disliked KOTCS and HATED Mutt.

They were definitely testing the waters for Shia taking over last time. They seem to have learned their lesson (at least about Shia) now.

I do see a de-aged 1930s Harrison Ford appearing somewhere in this movie. They will do a 2-minute scene and it won't be worth the stupid amount of resources it consumes. I suppose it could help weave the new story into Indy's past.

Would I be surprised if Willie Scott showed up with Indy’s long lost daughter this time to take on the mantle with a name like “Henrietta ‘Montana’ Jones”, with a natural knack for archeology and whip cracking that is even greater than Indy’s?

No. No I would not be surprised.

I’m not commenting as to whether that would be good storytelling or not (and that is what matters) only that I would not be surprised.

Last edited:
I don't know if you're a deadbeat dad if the mom never tells you about the kid...
Spot on. In order to be a deadbeat dad or mom you have to have intentionally neglected your parental responsibilities. You can't do that if you don't even know the child exists, so if anyone would be at fault it would be Marion (or Willie, or...) for not informing him of the child. :D

Last edited:
Do we need to bring up Marion's age the first time they hooked up?
Why would that be an issue? Mutt was supposed to be in his early-20s in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which would place his birth just before the events in Temple of Doom when Marion was in her late-20s.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back