Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

The invisible painted stone bridge in Last Crusade bothered me a lot more than the nuked fridge ever did. Implausible things are easier to swallow when they aren't so crucial to the high point of the story.

I don't know if you've heard about Jamie Costa, but I kinda want him to play young Indy if this ever happens. Especially if it's about the fountain of youth XD

It's no more absurd than all of the stunts in Temple of Doom...or God coming out of a box to melt Nazis lol. Scientific accuracy is not what I'm looking for in these flicks. KOTCS has problems, but to my dying day I will defend nuking the fridge. Hilarious and disturbing 50s era Indy moment, and the highlight of the movie.

The invisible painted stone bridge in Last Crusade bothered me a lot more than the nuked fridge ever did. Implausible things are easier to swallow when they aren't so crucial to the high point of the story.

Or light detecting sensors in a stone age treasure room?

So, yes, there are obviously totally absurd things in all of the films. However, generally speaking, the films surrounding the absurdities are more enjoyable, and so the absurdities go down easier. When the underlying film itself isn't that great, you notice the flaws more.

Aside from that, there's a difference between a noticeable absurdity, and a so-far-out-there-it's-just-stupid absurdity.

You know what's a perfect example of this phenomenon in another otherwise generally well-regarded franchise? Die Another Day. Bond movies are, if we're being charitable, a bit hard to believe in terms of some of the stunts and gadgets and such. It's sort of a staple of the series (although that's been minimized in recent years). Die Another Day, however, was different. The film itself had some ok story bits, and some genuinely good moments, but on the whole, it's a TERRIBLE film. The bad parts completely overshadow the good, and they're really, really bad. The CGI is weak and unconvincing, and it appears damn near everywhere. The one-liners and quips are probably the worst I've seen outside of an Austin Powers movie. I mean, they basically ARE Austin Powers quips. The gadgets are completely unbelievable (AN INVISIBLE FREAKING CAR). The stunts are ridiculously stupid and over the top (BOND WINDSURFS ON A SHEET OF METAL AWAY FROM AN AVALANCHE). The villain and threat are totally unbelievable (A GIANT SPACE DEATH RAY BUILT BY NORTH FREAKING KOREA). So, even though there's a really cool fencing match, and an AWESOME sequence where Bond is on his own as a burned agent, and even though it has Toby Stevens, who is always fantastic, the film itself is just bad, and the bad parts really draw the eye.

By comparison, I still cringe at Willie and roll my eyes HARD at the "parachuting with an inflatable raft" sequence and dislike the sort of casual-if-also-somewhat-appropriate-for-the-period racism, but on the whole I still generally enjoy Temple of Doom. It's the weakest of the three, of course, but it's tolerable in spite of its weak moments.

If a fridge is all I've got I'm still getting in the fridge! :lol

If a fridge is all I've got...I'm making peace with God.

Failing that, the impact from landing alone would probably kill you.

That bugged me a little... but it bugs me more that so many people have a problem with that, but NO ONE ever complains about Tony Stark crashing his first Iron Man suit in the dessert at a way worse height/velocity...

It would have turned him to mush.

- - - Updated - - -

Bridge doesn't bug me at all... street artists play with the forced perspective paintings all the time.

That bugged me a little... but it bugs me more that so many people have a problem with that, but NO ONE ever complains about Tony Stark crashing his first Iron Man suit in the dessert at a way worse height/velocity...

It would have turned him to mush.

Oh, I absolutely do! Iron Man, as a whole, is completely ludicrous. Like, cool, you have an impenetrable suit. But that doesn't shield the meat behind it from the impact of a blow or what something like, say, a shockwave can do to your body.

Of course, I'm sure the response is "Well, inertial dampeners, so shut up." Or something along those lines.

I can actually fix day another day for you.

Instead of Bond faking a heart attack so that he can escape after the prisoner release, imagine if you will that Bond is simply just having a heart attack, a fatal one.

In these last few seconds of his life his brain constructs a fantasy of him escaping, using memories of his past adventures as a basis, and filling in the gaps with fantasy so far out, that its very existence should convince most people that they are dreaming, apart from someone who does not want to wake up.

Jame Bond did not die another day, he died that day, and that is why the next film was a reboot, for the first time in all the movies, starting again from Bond's first mission as a double 0.

Bridge doesn't bug me at all... street artists play with the forced perspective paintings all the time.

I've seen those too. But I've never been fooled thoroughly enough to fear stepping onto one.

I could have bought it if Indy wasn't quite so up-close to the bridge in broad daylight. Like maybe the bridge was 10 feet down below him and the whole setting was a bit darker & foggier. It still wouldn't have been 100% believable but it would have helped a lot.

Oh FFS.

However, the problems with KOTCS were only about half script related. And Koepp has written quite a few winners too.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen those too. But I've never been fooled thoroughly enough to fear stepping onto one.

I could have bought it if Indy wasn't quite so up-close to the bridge in broad daylight. Like maybe the bridge was 10 feet down below him and the whole setting was a bit darker & foggier. It still wouldn't have been 100% believable but it would have helped a lot.

But the immortal knight isn't bugging you guys.

Good grief, if you all want a REALISTIC movie, go watch something about a bunch of vitamin D deprived nerds arguing about geek culture online. Just two hours of watching some chunky dude sitting at his laptop. I'll take a little spectacle and suspend my disbelief, thank you :lol

Even David's high profile work like Jurassic Park I find to be problematic. He has this thing that he does with his characters that comes off as very narrow minded and preachy. No matter how idiotic or wrong our heroes may be, David always portrays them as the party who is right.

I think back on The Lost World and I still can't believe no one brought up the little detail of our heroes causing the death of everyone (except for two) involved in the Ingen expedition on Site B. Ugh.

See, that's not the part of that scene that got me at all. I get the forced perspective bit.....however, as Indy does after a few moments, he picks up some DUST and sprinkles it over the walkway so it's visible. The thing hadn't been used in centuries...it would have been caked with dust. The Knight could have swept it daily I suppose, but no way he crossed it without handrails for a 1000 years or so without falling off. Law of averages. I don't think he ever left the room to be honest....he have to disable the blades of the first test and NEVER miss a letter on the second in a 1000 years either. There were cobwebs all over the first part....

Also the penitent man kneels, but why does he do a somersault? These movies can be picked to death if you want. But the original three are good enough that I give them a pass and just enjoy them. I'm a little more critical of KOTCS because it's weak. But I'm not critical of ridiculous booby traps or improbable escapes. Just iffy writing and execution.

I don't think he somersaults as much as he kneels or "bows" before the Lord. He somersaults in case there's a third trap or *cough* cough*,drama, tension etc*cough* lol

That's how I always took it anyways.:$

Movies are allowed to break the logic & rules of the real world. But they still need to maintain some kind of internal logic & rules that the audience can intuitively rely on.

The grail knight was within the movie's internal logic. You knew they were in for something religious & supernatural from the moment they set foot into Petra.

But the invisible walkway was like Indy getting out of trouble by pulling out his whip and lashing onto a tree branch 80 feet up over his head. If you saw that, your mind will INSTANTLY object that his whip isn't that long. You can't even suspend disbelief while you are watching the scene. It destroys the sense of danger you had been feeling for Indy when you thought he was 80 feet down into trouble.

(Yes, I remember Indy falling out of a plane & landing on a raft in TOD. I have a low opinion of that stunt too.)

what really pisses me off is that they could have done at least 10 indy movies by now if they bothered to do them back when Ford was still in his prime.

Why did they stop in 1989?

they had the whole of the 90s, whole of the 2000s. Thats 20 full years, and all we got was 1 movie with shia Labeouf.

Imagine all the stories they could tell and adventures, they surely can't be telling us that there were no good ideas they could have used back then.

I wonder if Lucas is involved.

Well, from around '95-2005 GL had that whole star wars thing going on. The pact then, too, was all 3 had to agree. You've gotta get the timeline right for all 3 too. TOD was what? 83? They coulda done another around 86 too. But all three had their own things they were doing..

I never really had a problem with the forced perspective view, except that IF it would've worked it would have had to be exactly from Indy's POV, instead of off to the side as the camera was...Dark cave, low light, it's possible. I had more of a problem with the mine car jump and the raft parachute (yeah yeah Mythbusters--whatever)

I can handle the magic stuff, but not the bad physics. If Indy had been holding onto some kind of talisman during those scenes, then at least, the magic takes over and I can deal with it.

The fridge, however, that was just plain stupid.

The fridge was a perfect example of something drawing more complaints because people generally don't think the movie was very good. If that had happened in Raiders it would have caused much less objection.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back