Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

So is Harrison just really bored or does he just not want to retire? I mean he's barely gotten to enjoy his 34 million from TFA and he's jumping into another big movie. After not caring about these properties for so long, I wonder what's got him going... grandchildren he wants to pay for college for? Dont forget he's also going to be in the new Blade Runner...

Aviation is often extremely expensive, he probably wants to buy aircraft. A million bucks can vanish just like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Mercury Missions. INDY IN SPACE

Space Nazis, I hate these guys.

For the love of all things holy at least let Indy fire his sidearm this time and not just point it at people.

-Ash

He has children with Calista so he needs the money.

As far as another Indy, no thanks, as Spielberg said he only envisioned the Triology and that was that, it ended with them riding off into the sunset.

I wonder what's got him going... grandchildren he wants to pay for college for? Dont forget he's also going to be in the new Blade Runner...

He has children with Calista so he needs the money.

As far as another Indy, no thanks, as Spielberg said he only envisioned the Triology and that was that, it ended with them riding off into the sunset.

I swear I read back in the day there was an intention to make it like another Bond franchise.

Don't forget they can "de-age him" somewhat using the incredible VFXs they used on Michael Douglas in "Ant Man" if they want to do flashbacks. I hope the script does him justice though, no ridiculous fridge stunts please. And I'd much prefer to see him playing the Sean Connery mentor role to a younger lead. I wonder if the rumours of Daisy Ridley going up for another Tomb Raider reboot last week spurred them on.

Harrison has only acted reluctant in the past with Star Wars.

He's always been up for more Indy movies. The long gap the 1990s was due to Spielberg & Lucas.

As for Blade Runner, I don't think the idea ever got any serious discussion until lately.

This.

As for Ford's age, he didn't exactly embarrass himself in TFA. Or in KOTCS for that matter, regardless of our feelings about other aspects of the movie.

Indy was never the Terminator. He was always a human getting his ass kicked. They can just have the obligatory younger co-star doing the most blatantly physical stuff this time, give Indy the weapons & vehicles to use, and he'll be okay. Indy's age is a major issue at this point but it's a manageable one.

I do agree with the earlier comment - let's hope #5 isn't totally a Raiders remake.

Agreed! My girlfriend said that "He's not too old, unless he's dead." I think it could be eye-opening to see what changes / challenges Indy has to face as he ages - we didn't really see that in CS. Maybe hear him say, "I guess it is the years."

...Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth.Old Harrison drinks from the fountain, and *poof* turns to Chris Pratt.

This sounds scarily plausible. I'd much rather Indy walk off into the sunset for the final time rather than some half-hearted rebootquel.

Since we're sharing movie ideas, I want to see one more romp with Nazis with Indy. Indy has always been prone to the exaggerated, bordering ridiculous, so it can't be too much to ask for. I've always wanted to see Old Indy tackle South American Nazi clones in something like Boys from Brazil. The movie starts with a 8mm film footage of a student on a dig site in South America, filming him and his teacher, Indy, on the expedition, and does so until their camp is raided that night by bandits. Indy beats them up and saves his students, of course, but that's when they're unmasked and they're revealed to be blue-eyed, blonde haired, Latin Americans; all with strikingly similar facial features. Turns out they've been pillaging and plundering historical sites and holy relics all over and it all traces back to an ex-Nazi scientist hiding out in the jungles trying to bring back the thousand year Reich!

Last edited by a moderator:
What do George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford all have in common?.....They take great pride in taking our childhood memories and s.h.i.t.i.n.g all over them.

We all know GL and HF basically hate the franchisees that made them squillionaires and as for SS......KoTCS is drivel.

The best thing they can all do is stay the hell away from it.....seriously how much money do you need and how disrespectful can you treat the very people who made you rich??

Yaris shakes head and slowly walks away....and then when it comes out....gives his hard earn coin to go and see it....:lol:facepalm

First:

There are three Indiana Jones films. End. Of. Discussion.

I'm just curious if they have no Shia, what's a plausible explanation for his whereabouts? He is Indiana's son but it'd be cheesy to just say he's "away" or somesuch. Oh yeah, and Indiana is a married man now. Another mistake that should've never happened. I never saw him as the marrying type...

"Note: Mutt died on the way back to his home planet."

In seriousness:

- Shia will not be back. For that matter, don't expect to see Shia getting much (if any) work in the foreseeable future. It'll be another 10-15 years before we see him in anything other than maybe some weird indie thing (probably self-financed, -directed, and -acted). Why? He now has a reputation as being...."difficult." Also, he's batspit crazy. He's not necessarily as bad as, say, Lindsay Lohan (for whom you need to take out insurance in case she gets blotto the night before shooting), but I don't expect many people in Hollywood will want to work with him. Lastly, he's just not a box office draw. Whatever public goodwill he might have earned with the first few Transformers films, it's been erased by his lunacy. Plus, that franchise showed that he wasn't the draw (the same way Megan Fox wasn't the draw). It's really just about CGI robots punching each other and big asploshunz.

- They can just recast the character, if necessary. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they went with a female Dr. Jones.
It's a freekin' era issue too guys. .

So let's go where Indy gets young again from fountain of youth even, or we get a new guy he passes things off to... Dakota Jack or whatever.
It's missing that magical 1930s era of the serials that yes you might just find a lost city somewhere,
you can travel with guns to other countries, you could tomb raid and sell stuff, It becomes too modern and
sucks the magic out of all that.

To me, this is the biggest issue. Indiana Jones was always about Republic serials, and especially stuff like Tarzan and Doc Savage and such. Star Wars was the Flash Gordon/Commander Cody analogue. All of that is basically rooted in the inter-war period and maybe up through WWII itself. The 1950s, aliens, all of that just...doesn't fit. Commies do not make for convincing bad guys anymore. They're just ersatz Nazis.

The farther you go along in the time period, the less this story really works, especially once you hit the 1960s and 1970s. Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Brown Acid? Indiana Jones and the Tet Offensive? It's really difficult to pull off.

The only thing that might work is...Argentinian Nazi Remnants looking for something like the fountain of youth, the Garden of Eden, El Dorado, whatever. Some occult or spiritual or mystical or magical macguffin that will propel them back to glory.

Actually, here's an idea. It's the search for the fountain of youth, but what nobody understands is that the fountain of youth doesn't actually make you young...not exactly, anyway. In fact, you do not become young in the present. Instead, you are transported back through time to the point where you were young, and allowed to re-live your life. (The idea being that you'll do better this time.) So, Indy goes in search of it at the behest of, I dunno, a group of archaeologists accompanied by Mossad agents, who have credible information that some Fourth Reich attempt is in the works, led by the evil Count Herman von Greutscher (or whatever). Booby traps, melting neo-Nazis, brushes with death, etc., yadda yadda yadda, von Greutscher drinks from the well and disappears, Indy puts it together, goes back in time, hands off his hat to whomever his heir apparent is (daughter, I'd guess), takes a sip, and now you have not one but two Indy franchises you can play with: one set in Indy's past (allowing for the Chris Pratt/Anthony Ingruber BECAUSE DUH, CAST HIM YOU IDIOTS takeover), one set in the present or near-past with Indy's daughter or son or both or whatever.

The Henry Jones, Jr. adventures focus on a young Indy trying not only to not screw up his past, but also to stop von Greutscher's efforts to make himself the new Fuhrer, powered by various occult knicknacks. Figure it's a 3-5 picture deal, where von Greutscher doesn't die at the end. Maybe he only barely appears in the first one or two films, and it's his tough underlings that Indy fights. We can figure that out later.

The Henrietta Jones (or whatever) films focus on Indy's daughter following in her father's footsteps, but maybe with a bit less focus on the "magical" aspects, and more stuff like protecting archaeological treasures. Kind of taking that "That belongs in a museum!" line, but updating it a bit.

The Henry Jones, Jr. adventures focus on a young Indy trying not only to not screw up his past, but also to stop von Greutscher's efforts to make himself the new Fuhrer, powered by various occult knicknacks. Figure it's a 3-5 picture deal, where von Greutscher doesn't die at the end. Maybe he only barely appears in the first one or two films, and it's his tough underlings that Indy fights. We can figure that out later.

This might lead to a backdoor method of remaking Raiders. They go all BTTF#2 and plunge back into it, adding side issues for the new storyline to further complicate things & make it turn out differently than the original Raiders.

(Hey, it worked great for the Terminator franchise, right? :facepalm)

If onscreen Indy ages at the same rate as Harrison, then in about 10 more years (mid-2020s) old Indy could literally go watch Raiders in the movie theater in 1981.

Last edited:
This might lead to a backdoor method of remaking Raiders. They go all BTTF#2 and plunge back into it, adding side issues for the new storyline to further complicate things & make it turn out differently than the original Raiders.

(Hey, it worked great for the Terminator franchise, right? :facepalm)

If onscreen Indy ages at the same rate as Harrison, then in about 10 more years (mid-2020s) old Indy could literally go watch Raiders in the movie theater in 1981.

I'm not saying I necessarily like the idea.

Personally, as I said, there are only three (3) Indiana Jones movies.

But, if the studio is gonna re-do these, or reboot them or whatever, I think that's the way to do it while maintaining continuity. It's either that, or a handover to a new generation in this movie, and you move forward in the timeline.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back