ANH Obi Wan LIghtsaber with Crystal Chamber ( Modifications ect..)

I've had a few people message me about how I drilled out my top resistor hole. I just wrote up a little tutorial for him. So I figured I should share it here

I don't know if you need to do this to rudy's latest run. But I know the 1st and 2nd run required it. So here it goes!

Step 1: strip the saber down so it looks like this
e2e7ba14b79e8fd8dc7e13d8148b7091.jpg

Step 2: use a sharpie and mark the first hole
9e84c282eba844be9f039c833a7ae9e0.jpg

Step 3: use a 1/16th Allen key wrench to remove the grub screw in the back of the chamber
afa6e6299acd62740d2572ef6bf3a60d.jpg

Now the cage is separated from the chamber
Step 4: where the sharpie mark is, now drill that out with a 5/32nd drill bit
f957433646916680b29afe6a4586d43a.jpg

Step 5: blow the shavings off and attach the cage back to the chamber. Be sure to align the new hole you drilled with the threaded hole of the cage
eea53e7cd5951576094f2283150522bd.jpg

Step 6: now take a small file, I grabbed this set cheap at Walmart. And slowly file this side of the clamp holes
e7bd75c293cacb238d70bdd0c4a4074d.jpg

That's it! Your done, assemble the clamp onto the cage and hold it in place by screwing the resistors in

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom outstanding work!! i love this chamber. the grenade, i also love what you did with the grenade and balance pipe, beautiful!

Finally finished my modifications and install on this saber. I love it :)

Your saber is incredible and I love the crystal chamber. Mind if I ask what chassis you are using? I've been waiting for Dmitry's but it's been "coming soon" for too long and I want to get wired up. I spent about a day working on my own design but the most success I had was gluing my fingers together. :D

Your saber is incredible and I love the crystal chamber. Mind if I ask what chassis you are using? I've been waiting for Dmitry's but it's been "coming soon" for too long and I want to get wired up. I spent about a day working on my own design but the most success I had was gluing my fingers together. :D

I too was hoping to wait for Dmitry's chassis but it was the last piece of the puzzle and with everything else complete and having a 3d printer myself and having designed quite a few chassis for other installs in the end I just couldn't wait and made my own :)

I too was hoping to wait for Dmitry's chassis but it was the last piece of the puzzle and with everything else complete and having a 3d printer myself and having designed quite a few chassis for other installs in the end I just couldn't wait and made my own :)

Funny you mention that you printed your own. I was taking a look at 3D printers just that day.

Sorry for the delay...took me awhile to find the time to get around to doing this and a few evenings to actually do it all (just the chamber updates, saber was done with stock parts already) so here are the pics I promised a few weeks back. Overall the shapeways parts are a great fit into the stock chamber holes but do need a little epoxy to hold in. I soaked all the parts (including the stock crystal holder) in drain cleaner, as @tomleech described, accidentally forgetting about them overnight but I like how dark they turned after a gentle fine grit sanding which highlights the true metal color. Then a flat black weathering paint job and it's all done.

IMG_2085.JPGIMG_2089.JPGIMG_2086.JPGIMG_2090.JPGIMG_2087.JPGIMG_2092.JPGIMG_2088.JPG

Last edited:
Hello there! After a lot of trials, errors and blood sweat and tears (literally), I've finally finished the modifications to my crystal chamber. In keeping with the AFBB theme of the saber, there's lots of polished brass and copper, with two hand cut 'titanium' aqua aura quartz crystals deeply embedded within the chamber. The 3D printed fins by Tom fit beautifully and I'm really happy with how my 'plumbing' turned out.... and more than a little relieved that everything fits snugly within the grenade section. Now just waiting for the release of the Shtok R-CC chassis system to eventually bring this saber to life!
Obi-Coop saber 02.jpgObi-Coop saber 07.JPGObi-Coop saber 06.JPGObi-Coop saber 04.JPGObi-Coop saber 01.jpgObi-Coop saber 14.jpgObi-Coop saber 12.jpgObi-Coop saber 11.jpgObi-Coop saber 03.jpgObi-Coop saber 08.JPG

Obi-Coop saber 02.jpg

Obi-Coop saber 03.jpg

Obi-Coop saber 11.jpg

Obi-Coop saber 12.jpg

Obi-Coop saber 14.jpg

Obi-Coop saber 01.jpg

Obi-Coop saber 04.JPG

Obi-Coop saber 06.JPG

Obi-Coop saber 07.JPG

Obi-Coop saber 08.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really happy with how my 'plumbing' turned out.

I really like your crystal chamber and your "plumbing". :) Would you mind sharing what products you used and how you accomplished it? I'm especially interested how you did the coiled, copper pipe in the last couple of pictures.

I received my crystal chamber today and am anxiously waiting for Tom's parts to arrive from Shapeways (they shipped today). Like you, I'm really hoping that chassis will come available soon. I don't trust that my homemade version is going to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments. The pipework is a combination of 3mm and 2mm copper and brass tubes, readily available from craft stores. I think the tube walls are .45mm, which means they fit into each other really nicely (piston style). The coils are solid 1mm, 2mm and 3mm rods / wire (not tubes) and all are hand-wound. Yeah, that took some time! The thinner wire was easier, just make sure you keep the tension nice and tight as you wind it round a rod. I think having these coil details as the rods go into the chamber finishes it off nicely. The thicker 3mm copper coil, coming out of the fins, was tricky - again, keeping the tension and pace as I hand wound it - don't stop and start the winding motion, as you'll not achieve a smooth and consistent coil! It was trial and error to get the coil just right: big enough to look practical but small enough to fit inside the (closed) chamber. The real 'heart-in-mouth' moments on this build were drilling into the main aluminium chassis, for the various plumbing to run into. I just used a regular electric hand drill and went VERY slowly; started with a 1mm pilot hole then worked up from there to get a big enough, deep enough hole for the pipes. Biggest problem was the angle - you can't drill straight, so it has to be angled; that means you insert the pipe / tube at an angle and then bend it down to it's straight / parallel with the chamber. Not for the faint hearted! Just don't drill too deep... but just deep enough! Hope this helps and good luck with your chamber.

Thank you so much for the detailed steps. Looks like I have some shopping to do! I've been setting found bits and pieces aside that I thought might make for interesting details but haven't had much luck find finding the right size tubes. I have some smaller rods that I picked up long ago. One of those "those look like they might come in handy some day" purchases. Drilling into the chassis would/will make me incredibly nervous. It sounds like we might have the same level of tools (electric hand drill) so I'd have to trust my own hands. Yikes! :facepalm Thank you again for the information. It's greatly appreciated!

Okay, finally got this this thing completed. However, when I was putting on the two screws on the grafted grip, I noticed they just spin. I was thinking of using some loctite, but wanted to know if I was doing something wrong first?

Okay, finally got this this thing completed. However, when I was putting on the two screws on the grafted grip, I noticed they just spin. I was thinking of using some loctite, but wanted to know if I was doing something wrong first?

Grafted grip?

Graflex grip. (Stupid autocorrect). I think I just found a post about it. Filing the threads down a bit to get them to sit right.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back