ANH Obi Wan LIghtsaber with Crystal Chamber ( Modifications ect..)

Hey @shpider ! Did you happen to measure your TP Spring before you installed it? Just curious about the overall length, compressed length and strength of the spring.

I picked two springs up from one of the local hardware stores for $0.98 and $0.79 to play around with. They had a whole bunch of different lengths, diameters, tensions!

The $0.98 one is 3-1/4" long, compresses to 1-1/2" long (nearly lost an eye figuring that measurement out), 3/4" in diameter, and is quite... enthusiastic about not being compressed with only two fingers!

The $0.79 one is 2-7/8" long, compresses to 5/8" long, 13/16" in diameter, and is much less of a workout and way more fun to just squish between your fingers.

The answer to all of your Toilet Paper Roller questions can be seen in the pictures below... It's very easy to compress between my right thumb and 2 fingers (no, I don't only have 2 fingers and a thumb... I have 6 like everyone else!)

I think the important thing to note is the number of coils... this has very few making it a very soft spring... It really doesn't take much to spring the chamber open...

IMG_2233.jpgIMG_2234.jpgIMG_2232.jpg

i went to the hardware store today on my way home. 10.79 for the toilet paper holder... yikes. im going to hit the dollar store this weekend see what i can find. when ever i remodel a bathroom ill be sure to start collecting springs.

before i went to the hardware store, i went to the other side of the job site and talked to the plumbers. their hose on the super sucker broke, and i remember there being a huge spring on the end of it. brought that sucker home but the spring is too big of a radius... sticking to the TP holder spring. just need to find a cheap one

Wow that's super expensive!! Were they trying to sell you the whole fixture? If not, were they gold plated ? Diamond encrusted? Made from unobtanium freshly flown in from Pandora?

Just order them from Home Depot... I will be going in the next few days so I'll find the perfect one and post a link...

Wow that's super expensive!! Were they trying to sell you the whole fixture? If not, were they gold plated ? Diamond encrusted? Made from unobtanium freshly flown in from Pandora?

Just order them from Home Depot... I will be going in the next few days so I'll find the perfect one and post a link...

This was a family owned small hardware store. Beautiful lumber but everything else is through the roof...

I too have to run by lowes this weekend to try and find one if my dollar store doesn't have one

Heck Walmart might even carry them cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just installed my toilet paper spring, holy cow what a difference! 100% worth the upgrade!
80b16d43eb1fa1207e4382947cefd5a0.jpg
33d16fc49cfe401c6f0588e2ece93169.jpg

i grabbed their cheapest holder
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-So...placement-Roller-Toilet-Paper-Holder/50107414

Item # 59860

i didnt think the spring was going to have enough HUMPH, but it sure does!! very happy with this find, well worth the upgrade. even the FX guys, i think if you run the wires through the center of the spring there wouldnt be any issue

i want to thank shpider for sharing this great trick!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post pics of the spring installed? If possible, could you post a video clip of this thing action? I think I know what you did, but I'm not 100% sure. If it is what I think, I really want to see this in action!

Last edited:
Can you post pics of the spring installed? If possible, could you post a video clip of this thing action? I think I know what you did, but I'm not 100% sure. If it is what I think, I really want to see this in action!

Hey@slynger ! Here's one you may have missed back on page 3 via shpider...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdpA6S-f7o4

And one from Slothfurnace, watch his right index finger very closely at 0:18, I LOVE THAT THING!!! I believe he used a shotgun mag spring in either this one or his Luke ROTJ reveal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=3FTn6WK3fDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3xxuGeLZcg&spfreload=10

And I second that halliwax needs to post of video of his in action too!!

I wonder if something like this can be done with an old Russrep Obi-Wan hilt.

Is the Romans you're using a replica of the real parts?

I'm talking about just the chamber/spring thing.

I wonder if something like this can be done with an old Russrep Obi-Wan hilt.

Is the Romans you're using a replica of the real parts?

I'm talking about just the chamber/spring thing.

The one I made was using Russrep parts. I had to modify the insides quite a bit to fit everything. When I did this one, I do believe it was the first spring-open crystal chamber reveal done on an Obi ANH, but I could be wrong. It's been a few years...

Here's the build log step by step... http://www.slothfurnace.com/sabers/ANHObiReveal_01.html

010.jpg

042.jpg

061.jpg

111.jpg

Hey@slynger ! Here's one you may have missed back on page 3 via shpider...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdpA6S-f7o4

And one from Slothfurnace, watch his right index finger very closely at 0:18, I LOVE THAT THING!!! I believe he used a shotgun mag spring in either this one or his Luke ROTJ reveal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=3FTn6WK3fDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3xxuGeLZcg&spfreload=10

And I second that @halliwax needs to post of video of his in action too!!

Ill try shooting something tonight

ask and you shall receive. You can see that the spring has a lot of force. you can actually hear my emitter come apart, i want to weather it and haven't glued it together yet. the emitter comes apart off screen so i kept rolling.

just want to thank roman, spirit of ob1, and shpider for the parts and idea's. i love this spring action!!

Awesome contribution halliwax ! Thanks for getting your video done so quickly. But,.... I must mention, that if you're not going to say anything:ninja and be all Darth Vadery-hands in the video, that you have to do the breathing sounds too! :lol

It's really crazy how much force that TP-Spring seems to have. Is it strong enough to open the chamber when held vertically too (emitter towards the sky)?

Now, stop working on your clay Stormtrooper, keep your mold bearings in their jar, and get to work putting lights and sounds in your Obi-Wan!!! ;)

When I did this one, I do believe it was the first spring-open crystal chamber reveal done on an Obi ANH, but I could be wrong. It's been a few years...

Unless you got the idea from someone else, it's always been, in my mind anyway, that spring-loaded crystal chambers are your brainchild. Lighted crystal chambers goes to Michael Murphy (Yoda), again in my mind, spinning crystal chambers goes to Lethal Crystal aka Watchmaker Lam, buttons in the gap between the clamp under the card goes to Spirit of ob1 - aka skywarp181 (though buttons cut IN the clamp under the card goes to Bradley W Lewis ;) ), spring chamber locking/release mechanism in the gap between the clamp goes to slothfurnace, razor blade plugs goes to Thomas Michael aka Evil-Henchman aka ARKM, trapdoor crystal reveal goes to Harp aka satoshiiwatsubo, Arm-Buddies LED strings goes to Tsai Jung-chou aka Makoto Tsai, rediculously over elaborate OMFG! cutaway lightsabers goes to Howard Watts aka HSWatts and Roland Palotai aka RO-Lightsabers (I can't decide who's better, and I don't know who started these first), and finally, understanding wiring and "SOLE-DER-RING" goes to Irvin Plecter aka Erv and Rob Petkau aka Madcow aka Genesis Custom Sabers for making sabersmithing so incredibly fun!!!

I'll just say this for sure, when I type in "Sloth" in the search window of my Lightsabers folder on my computer, there're so many images of yours in there that the fan kicks on! Thank you for sharing your build logs and photos, for your insights and drawings, and your videos and posts, and the creative problem solving and ideas that you give so freely. Your generosity is commendable and I can't wait to see what you come up with next! ....No pressure.

And yes, this post seems to have become a precursor to the "Thank You" section of a thread I hope to create one day with my "Dream-saber". Not that I'm going to call it 'Dream-saber', it's just going to have all the cool ideas I've ever dreamt of having in a lightsaber that I can cram in it in it.. oh, you get the idea. Sorry, my pinky's killing me, I must have hit it against the wall last night when my arm fell asleep or something, feels like wicked arthritis today and I've got to stop typing. Off to find a bag of frozen peas!

Awesome contribution @halliwax ! Thanks for getting your video done so quickly. But,.... I must mention, that if you're not going to say anything:ninja and be all Darth Vadery-hands in the video, that you have to do the breathing sounds too! :lol

It's really crazy how much force that TP-Spring seems to have. Is it strong enough to open the chamber when held vertically too (emitter towards the sky)?

Now, stop working on your clay Stormtrooper, keep your mold bearings in their jar, and get to work putting lights and sounds in your Obi-Wan!!! ;)

definitely!! thats why i have it at a angle, when vertical it opens the emitter right off. if for some reason you get a spring that isn't strong enough. the bolt i am using to hold the wind vane to the balance pipe is 2" long. i would get a 2-1/4 or 2-1/2" bolt and use spacers between the head of the bolt and the wind vane, this would compress the spring even more. but the spring i used has more then enough force!

Awesome instructional video brother...

I am doing this to my MK1 FX install, just need to have protection for the main LED wires, very helpful but what happened to the voice over commentary :) haha

lol next video i guess ill narrate

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome instructional video brother...

I am doing this to my MK1 FX install, just need to have protection for the main LED wires, very helpful but what happened to the voice over commentary :) haha

the r2 guys use a flexible wire loom to cover the wires from the foot drives to the ankles. those should be able to flex inside the grenade, if not i think heat shrink would suffice :thumbsup

the r2 guys use a flexible wire loom to cover the wires from the foot drives to the ankles. those should be able to flex inside the grenade, if not i think heat shrink would suffice :thumbsup

Thanks for the tip, I will check with my sabersmith which way he was planning, the flexible wire loom sounds the way to go :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back