Scratchbuilt Millennium Falcon 1/72nd

As a retired commercial illustrator (vision issues) on of the things I used to do to check for errors look at the object up side down or in a mirror. helps make mistakes easier to notice.
I'm a theatre set/props guy and I always take off my glasses and look at it from 6 feet away to see if it's good enough for stage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well this beast of a project has once again barreled back into my focus after obvious hiatus.
The new chassis is all fitted, machined and tapped with threads; I've also switched to using allen head screws as it allows me more flexibility in terms of where I can place them and still undo them.
Unfortunately despite my best efforts, I failed to realise the panelling around the maintenance wells would not reduce the hole diameter equally....only on the edges where the panels are (duh). My solution has been to fill the wells with resin and bondo and hope that I can blend the old recesses away before machining out new, smaller ones.

I've also been tinkering with the underside hull details, though I'm still dissatisfied with how chaotic they seem...

And yes, bright orange resin !

Oh.....Bondo imported is about £30 through Amazon.....The car shop beside me sells the same size tub of P38 for a fiver

J

I spent yesterday and this evening working on the mandibles, drilling out the new correct wells and beginning the plating.
I decided to start plating from the underside to make sure I had the knack of this section before doing the same on the top hull, which will be seen more....
I also began experimenting with my red resin pigment in preparation for a different project, though I think on the Falcon it looks pretty damn snazzy.

- - - Updated - - -

Great to see you back on this Will. Interested to know where you purchased the acrylic tube for the cockpit?

I think I bought at a local plastics shop, but it could have equally been ebay....it's just 40mm Perspex tube

This morning I designed and machined the mounting system for the jawboxes; I used 10mm perspex to make the bracket block which joins the jaw to the chassis, and then 5mm perspex for the bulkhead struts that are bonded to the jawbox itself.

I could've gone with a simpler route I'm sure...the whole model is over engineered, but because of that it's incredibly strong and modular.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back