DIY Kylo Ren voice changer?

don't know anything about building one. But i pulled the voice changer out of an optimus prime helmet a friend was throwing out. I think it sounds awesome and pretty much just like Kylo. Only problem is that the circuit was designed for only 30 second intervals. So you hit the button to active it and it stays on for 30 seconds then shuts off and I have no idea how to modify it to be on all the time so right now you have to hit the button to active it before you speak.

It was from one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...2&keywords=optimus+prime+helmet+voice+changer

If you can find a cheap used one by chance, you should def check it out. Both people I've shown it to said it sounds just like Kylo.

don't know anything about building one. But i pulled the voice changer out of an optimus prime helmet a friend was throwing out. I think it sounds awesome and pretty much just like Kylo. Only problem is that the circuit was designed for only 30 second intervals. So you hit the button to active it and it stays on for 30 seconds then shuts off and I have no idea how to modify it to be on all the time so right now you have to hit the button to active it before you speak.

It was from one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...2&keywords=optimus+prime+helmet+voice+changer

If you can find a cheap used one by chance, you should def check it out. Both people I've shown it to said it sounds just like Kylo.
I dont know anything about electronics and expecially your circuit, but just bridge the button?

that was my first thought too, but it's momentary not continuous. Meaning you have to press it every time to start it. Just holding the switch down does not keep it on, so I don't think just bridging it will work.

His voice isn't just deeper, the distortion in his voice sounds almost exactly like it is being driving through a physically damaged, or over-driven speaker.
You could try putting a tear into a paper speaker, or drive a tiny speaker with too much power to duplicate the effect.

For a Kylo Ren voice, try our Space Villain Voice Changer app on Google Play (android). This is not real-time though - and the UI is pretty bad. We will try to get a real-time version working also. In the meantime, comments on the voice quality are welcome.

EDIT:

We have added voice changers to our audio recorder app on Android - they can be found under Effects (button on left side) - Voice Changer.

These can be used to make the voice of:
Kylo Ren
Darth Vader
Bane of TDKR

Results will depend on your voice acting as well.

For Bane try with a "vocal fry" type of voice, and inflect like Tom Hardy.

This is the app on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stereomatch.mp3.audio.recorder

The app is an audio recorder - but since it outputs to earphones as well, it can be used for real-time cosplay situations. The app has been tested for 100 hours recording time, and 34 hours on single charge on a Note 4 - so recording should not be a problem.

The app can be used with screen off, and recording can be controlled with 3 clicks of the Power button as well. It has a whole bunch of other features for audio recording - but here I will just focus on it's utility for Cosplay.

LATENCY ISSUE

The problem for Cosplay is that on Android (unlike iOS/iPhone, or hardware devices) there is a considerable delay or latency. This is improving with each Android version, but it is still there - and it can vary across devices.

You will only notice this latency if you are outputting to speakers and can hear them as well. Then even a slight delay will confuse the speaker. You can speak in bursts, but it is still an issue.

To try the app, plug in external speakers, or earphones, and then press Record. Your voice will be echoed on the speakers.

If anyone has any ideas to reduce the latency effect on Cosplay performance, please let me know.

It may be possible to do something like actually increasing the latency so the delay is so large (perhaps half a second) that your own voice is no longer confusing.

Last edited:
bells0, is that, by any chance, available on Amazon? I see a few similar ones and don't know which one it is. (I know eBay is cheaper, but I'm low on $$$ and have Amazon money)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back