MCU Spider-Man - 3D Print Files/Pattern - FREE

I know it was pointed out earlier that posting another guy's work isn't nice, but what it it's for learning purposes? Like McLean Krieger over at YouTube managed to get one eye to properly scope in and out. He says it's buggy but it's working. He's not giving out how it's working yet. You could check that, maybe it would give you some brilliant piece of inspiration? I'd link it but, I dunno if I should now.

What if instead of 3D printing, a design is made to be 2D lasercut onto a flexible sheet like a thin PVC (the kind used as file covers maybe) so in the movement it will bend by itself whenever it needs to? Just the outermost frame and the 'spokes' can be 3D printed to be firm. Wouldn't that be thinner too? And I meant, like, a total of 9 shutters but in 3 layers. 3 shutters within 3 shutters within 3 shutters.

- - - Updated - - -

I downloaded the static lens but Blender was unable to separate the parts as the vertices are still connected in places with each other so I was unable to play around with it.

I am not too worried about 3D printing the shutter thin enough. That way one shutter can be printed to look like three...but I am open minded to the thought of lasercutting thin plastic and stacking the layers. What's taking me a while is creating a simple mechanism that will function smoothly and bend as well. I will be happy to upload the frames I am working on if you are wanting to experiment with them.... As for the static frames, they were merged so the can't be separated.

I am not too worried about 3D printing the shutter thin enough. That way one shutter can be printed to look like three...but I am open minded to the thought of lasercutting thin plastic and stacking the layers. What's taking me a while is creating a simple mechanism that will function smoothly and bend as well. I will be happy to upload the frames I am working on if you are wanting to experiment with them.... As for the static frames, they were merged so the can't be separated.
Perfectly understandable, get rid of as much headache as possible, yeah? I'm thinking a bit big but I really would be ECSTATIC if all our community's minds together actually figured out how to make a non-bulky fully accurate version with an individually controlled closing system. Just imagine wearing the suit and being able to show your exact impressions with the lenses! Multi diaphragm cameras exist. I'm fully certain we can do this.

I would dearly love to experiment and play around with the entire thing! What software are you using to rig and animate, by the way?

US07832950-20101116-D00000.pngPicture from a quick google search for patents. Shows one way to have double layers. Still thinking and looking around for something to do about the curvature.

I know it was pointed out earlier that posting another guy's work isn't nice, but what it it's for learning purposes? Like McLean Krieger over at YouTube managed to get one eye to properly scope in and out. He says it's buggy but it's working. He's not giving out how it's working yet. You could check that, maybe it would give you some brilliant piece of inspiration? I'd link it but, I dunno if I should now.

I wouldn't count on him ever disclosing how it works publicly

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't count on him ever disclosing how it works publicly

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
"The mask is not for sale. I will let everyone know how I did it, but I want to have a finished prototype before I do." <-- From the video description. But yeah let's not wait for him. I googled for the curvature and brainstormed with some friends who aren't on theRPF and though we aren't engineers or anything, we concluded that the curvature is actually more complicated because Spidey's eye isn't a perfect dome. The blades will need to bend in order to conform to whatever angle is required at each degree of the rotation. We think that the PVC sheet idea would work because it would be a good balance between lack of friction and flexibility. Rubber came up and even though the flexibility is better, the friction would get a little too much. Besides the PVC blades there will need to be a bit of a spacing at the spokes instead of a nearly flush fit to allow a bit of bending there as well.

Update: I have no idea how the font changed or how to set the "default" value for it >.>
Update 2: I think I fixed it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe an arduino-controlled linear motor?
I like this way. If the face shell is big enough, you can put them around the eyes, but if not, still maybe under the chin or jaw. Then you could have a switch that you keep in your mouth that you bite down on to activate.

A non-electric way to do it is run a string down the face shell that you connect to your neck or collar and when you tilt your head up, it tightens the string and pulls the shutters closed. That way, you can do a crouchy pose, look up, and your eyes narrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 499
I like this way. If the face shell is big enough, you can put them around the eyes, but if not, still maybe under the chin or jaw. Then you could have a switch that you keep in your mouth that you bite down on to activate.

A non-electric way to do it is run a string down the face shell that you connect to your neck or collar and when you tilt your head up, it tightens the string and pulls the shutters closed. That way, you can do a crouchy pose, look up, and your eyes narrow.
Plus another advantage of an arduino+motor would be that you can have the control buttons in your hand somewhere so you can change expressions whenever you want!

I was thinking of the same idea find a way to build that motor into the face shell and have the electronics in the gloves to change the eye modes through a wireless signal...I remember a cosplayer who made it so the electronic signal a would only send if certain finger tips touched at the same time so that the movements were going crazy anytime they grabbed anything but I haven't figured it out yet ha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If build into the face shell, may I suggest micro flexible push rods? We use them in small gliders to keep the servos in the center. This might help with your controls if you print or order a small connection at the end.
F-SLN517.jpg

Ok so I was thinking that maybe a switch could be placed the area next to the mouth inside the faceshell so that you could use your tongue/lip to control it. One position could be open eyes, the other could be narrow eyes

Ok so I was thinking that maybe a switch could be placed the area next to the mouth inside the faceshell so that you could use your tongue/lip to control it. One position could be open eyes, the other could be narrow eyes
IMO that would be really uncomfortable.

I still haven't found a solution for the curvature. If it was a uniform curvature, maybe? But it's not even that.

While staring at the gloriousness that is eyeFrameTest4.gif I noticed one more thing that may or may not be of interest. The 3 blades that you have designed are flat and placed one behind the other. Yellow on top, then blue, then red. While a camera aperture has them being on the same plane by keeping the blades thin and flexible and having their 'tails' overlap. Here's a picture:
camera2.jpg
So I guess they wouldn't exactly be flat and cuz of how they are locked in place because of the interlocked tails I feel like we can get away with bending the axles on which the move to make the resulting aperture convex. It'll be slight but it just might be enough for Spidey's eye.

Hmm, instead of 3 "pushers" for each "shutter", what if the one that moved was the circle-that-had-the-rails itself, turning back and forth, this way, there would only need to be 1 actuator instead of 3 pushers making the whole thing work. Will try illustrating later on.

Hmm, instead of 3 "pushers" for each "shutter", what if the one that moved was the circle-that-had-the-rails itself, turning back and forth, this way, there would only need to be 1 actuator instead of 3 pushers making the whole thing work. Will try illustrating later on.
So the ring moves causing the pins to move?
That could work, but all 3 pins are moving at different angles so I dunno... Do try making the illustration though :D If that works it would be perfect

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back