Australian/NZ - Deagostini Falcon

It's been a hell of a long time since I've updated the Falcon. Just been working on the top. Not really going to get stuck into the mandibles until we have all the parts in late November.

So for now I've just added a few pics of the top. I've only used oils and the Tamiya weathering packs thus far. Any airbrush work will be done at the end.

Falcon top 1.jpgFalcon top 2.jpg

Hey Simon , nice looking bird you’ve got there . Thanks for sharing . Noticed in pic#1 blue painters tape (?) - is that what you’re using ( with the oils ) to put down those straight edged streaks aka false panel lines ? If so , is that step done before or after the Tamiya weathering oils/ pigments - with drying periods in between ?

Looking forward to future updates mate ,

Cheers Ged :thumbsup

Nice pickup Ged. Yes, I use a low tack tape for the lines/shading.

Method I use is, rub the base oil on, leave for two days, then apply the tape and create the darker panels with the old used rag that I used previously to rub the panels. There’s usually just enough residue on the rag to create slightly darker panels / lines. Then a day later I add the tamiya weathering kits, rust and stuff. Over Xmas i’ll Use the airbrush to blend everything together. I also want to add some lower red mini leds and integrate them into the current wiring. Minimal extra current so won’t be an issue using a power pack. Can’t wait for January when we start to close things up.

58AA294E-A2D3-436F-B2CE-1A3E046711A7.jpeg

Thanks for clarification on your methods Simon . Apart from the red ‘ warning ‘ lights are you planning any other mods / additions ?

I’ve been concentrating / finishing up the interior section details on mine . Plenty of catching up to do with the framework and outer panels . I guess another reason for putting that part of the build off for so long ( apart from changing ‘ life ‘ stuff ) , is that I started using the oil directly on plastic method which I throughly enjoy , but received a proper airbrush and compressor combo for Xmas last year . That plus all the small pieces and delicate piping that need to go on , is making me reconsider how I tackle / paint the top half of this build , i.e. do the parts individually ( like so far ) or , assemble everything together - then paint / weather etc... ?

Oh well , will figure it out soon enough . Keep posting / sharing mate ,
Ged :cheers

Last edited:
Because I'm cheap and didn't want to buy the upgraded versions I just did the fix to the hull plating that was wrong on TP1 & TP3 early versions. I did this with a file and exacto and well probably should have bought the correct versions. Not an easy job to do but gives it character.

No before pic but I think everyone knows the problem they had with the plating flush with the top and front.

wAS5ka6.jpg

1S2w1HE.jpg

Because I'm cheap and didn't want to buy the upgraded versions I just did the fix to the hull plating that was wrong on TP1 & TP3 early versions. I did this with a file and exacto and well probably should have bought the correct versions.

i clamped my pieces in a vice on a milling machine and skimmed the top to remove it. Gotta be really careful if anyone wants to do it that way as you may get a bit excited and take off too much.

i clamped my pieces in a vice on a milling machine and skimmed the top to remove it. Gotta be really careful if anyone wants to do it that way as you may get a bit excited and take off too much.

I wish I had a mill to do this as was very hard to keep straight and consistent by hand.

Good work on the panels there 3phase . I’ll admit I took the ‘ easier ‘ way out by getting the more ‘ accurate ‘ parts from Japan . Did have to cut / chisel the end ( vertical - side ) panels on them though .
Are you planning to accurize the panel bottoms ( curved ) edges too ?

Ged

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work on the panels there @3phase . I’ll admit I took the ‘ easier ‘ way out by getting the more ‘ accurate ‘ parts from Japan . Did have to cut / chisel the end ( vertical - side ) panels on them though .
Are you planning to accurize the panel bottoms ( curved ) edges too ?

Ged
Crap I didn't even notice them. I haven't found the best reference for this area and missed them. I put all these parts on the frame last night so not sure if I can take just these 2 parts off. Would be good to get them off as have kit parts to put on the top.

LOL , I got caught out too ! . Tried to cut / chisel them out on the older / less - accurate pieces ( for practice ) and failed miserably . Not going to worry about them on the Japanese parts .
Although others I’ve seen had completely removed the existing details / panels , and used styrene card ( pre - detailed prior to ) replacing them on the pieces . Guess that’s an option .

Hi guys,
Just wondering..
Bissett said on their webpage that issues 79-81 were despatched on 26th October
However I've only received issue 77 in this last dispatch.
Is this what we are up to here in Aus? or should I contact them to see what the issue is with m y . . i s s u e s.

Hey David3 ,
Seeings how you mentioned Bissett , I’m guessing you’re a Direct subber . Being a newsagent subscriber myself I’ll be picking up #87 next week ( 10/11 ) .
Hope that helps you decide what to do ?

Ged

i sub direct from bisset and i received #78 and 79 last week with a letter saying 80 and 81 were not received yet from they're suppliers buy they should have stock by end of november.

Hmm.. that's a bit nuts!
Hopefully, what Bissett said is true and they'll have stock back up by end of the month.
Its a long enough build as is.

I'm with my newsagents and will get #87 this week. I think it was #80 that I had to wait a couple of weeks for so there must be an issue with those. Also it's the only slip up since really early days. They've been coming steady for ages now.

Ben

Same, will be getting issue #87 this Thursday. I have not had any problems since telling Bissett to shove it and going with a newsagent.

Feels a little wrong still having two months to go on this kit but you can now buy the whole thing for $1500. At least they could do is send all the issues to my news agent so I could just finish it. I am up to issue #93. I haven't started building yet

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back