Australian/NZ - Deagostini Falcon

Time for a Xmas catch up, as I've got 12 packs to open.

Decided on adding the extra underside red lights. Took me half a day to wire up and I soldered them straight into each of the white down light circuit boards, so the job was real simple and cost was less than a dollar. The red lights look bright from the inside but produce just the right amount of light on the underside.

The inside lights still work after a year of neglect. Not too fussed with these lights as the top will rarely be opened.

I'll break out the airbrush next month just to blend in the top of the Falcon and mandibles. All the weathering work thus far has been only the black oil rub and Tamiya weathering kits.

Falcon_Parts.jpg

Falcon_Light_mod.jpg

Falcon_extralighting_test.jpg

Falcon_underlight_test.jpg

Falcon_internal_lighting.jpg

Falcon_Topon_test.jpg

Hey Simon ,

thanks for sharing this update . Interesting method of powering your red ‘ warning ‘ lights - piggybacking the supplied white down ( landing ? ) lights ! . Haven’t seen it done this way before . Like to ask what size LEDs you used , and if there’s any noticeable drop in brightness ( white lights ) from attaching them this way ?

She’s not looking too shabby overall either :thumbsup !!

:cheers Ged

Thanks Ged.

3mm red with 300 ohm resistors.

Daisy chained 3 leds to each white one. I only came up with the idea when I was testing and thought that just soldering to the mini cct board would be a simple solution. No noticeable loss of brightness, considering that this is just using the battery pack.

drilled only a 2mm hole for each led and then slightly countersunk each hole and hot glued in.

simple and cheap solution for adding the mini underside red lights.

Dragged out the airbrush last week to attempt some airbrush work on the top of the Falcon. Difficult thing to master. Anyway looking forward to closing the Falcon out and sealing her up for the final time in a week or so.

IMG_5956.jpgIMG_5957.jpg

She’s looking sweet mate ! Thanks for sharing :thumbsup

Remember you saying awhile back - that you’d not used an airbrush before !? ... well , I’m in the same boat ! . I just hope that when I ( finally ) get to the stage of attempting that with my build it turns half as decent as yours .

:cheers Ged

Looking good Simon. My only advice is to let it set for a month before you seal it. That way your brain will have a new set of eyes that will pick up things you want to repaint, reweather or change. I 'finished' painting mine 5 months ago.....and I still see things I will change. The hardest thing for me was putting the airbrush away as its my go-to paint method. This girl has airbrush, dry brushing, chipping, splattering, sanding, back shadowing, diluted paint etc. All done by different people with different styles! Talk about a tall order.

Hi Guys, I'm looking to start my build very soon. What sort of glue are you using? Are you using superglue or some specific ABS glue, etc etc?

Wondering if any of you guys from Oz , have been successful at getting onto the Deago site - the one with the Aussie thread ?
Asking cause I’ve been trying for a week now with no luck . I either get a message ‘ Safari can’t connect to server ‘ or ‘ Server not responding , to , Server Stopped responding ‘ !?

Anyone else finding this ?

@Junk Pilot - Zappa Gap for Deago parts , and a combo of that and Tamiya / Testors liquid cement for scratched polystyrene parts for added strength .

Yeah I haven't been able to access the build diary pages either, even using Chrome. But as I've saved the webpages anyway I don't need to access them unless I find a page were the images haven't saved properly

Wondering if any of you guys from Oz , have been successful at getting onto the Deago site - the one with the Aussie thread ?
Asking cause I’ve been trying for a week now with no luck . I either get a message ‘ Safari can’t connect to server ‘ or ‘ Server not responding , to , Server Stopped responding ‘ !?

Anyone else finding this ?

@Junk Pilot - Zappa Gap for Deago parts , and a combo of that and Tamiya / Testors liquid cement for scratched polystyrene parts for added strength .

Yup. Got mine from the newsagent today as well and guess what.....no 100A. I had heard rumours it would be included but maybe it's only for those getting it from Bissett. The newsagents gets theirs from Gordon and Gotch.

@Junk Pilot , I’m a newsagent subscriber too .
Wondering if they ( newsagent ) were able to help you with obtaining the ‘ replacement ‘ cockpit when it became available here , or like myself , did you contact Bissett directly for it ?
Asking cause I’m thinking that’s what I’ll have to do again myself , if I want the 100A parts .
Don’t get me wrong , my newsagents have been brilliant regarding 99.9% of all things Deago Millennium Falcon related , except the cockpit fiasco ( they couldn’t help unfortunately ) .
Bissett came through o.k. with the cockpit , once they understood what it was I was referring to !
Hoping they’ll know all about the ‘ missing ‘ pieces this time around !

Ged

G'day Ged

My newsagent has been great too. As far as the replacement cockpit goes I don't want it. In fact I got a second original version to modify and if that doesn't work I'm going Shapeways. I've already got a number of missing parts from the original kits so I'm not overly fussed but the Shapeways version look much better.

Dean

@Junk Pilot , I’m a newsagent subscriber too .
Wondering if they ( newsagent ) were able to help you with obtaining the ‘ replacement ‘ cockpit when it became available here , or like myself , did you contact Bissett directly for it ?
Asking cause I’m thinking that’s what I’ll have to do again myself , if I want the 100A parts .
Don’t get me wrong , my newsagents have been brilliant regarding 99.9% of all things Deago Millennium Falcon related , except the cockpit fiasco ( they couldn’t help unfortunately ) .
Bissett came through o.k. with the cockpit , once they understood what it was I was referring to !
Hoping they’ll know all about the ‘ missing ‘ pieces this time around !

Ged

C015C651-B524-40E1-BD90-730D91DBBF75.jpeg2DCCA7DB-348C-4263-BA53-CEA98C55213F.jpegF8804421-1A87-49EA-AFC0-A7C930DA381E.jpeg

Well only two weeks to go for the subscribers, currently completed up to and including 97. It’s nice to see the Falcon almost finished. It’s been a sensational build, thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

so for me just the last batch of add ons plus a final airbrush of the rear deck to blend it in.

She’s looking really sweet Simon :p!

A few questions if I may mate ; Is that a paragrafix photo etched engine grill you’ve added ( #2 pic ) , if so , was it difficult to apply ?
You mentioned awhile back not having used an airbrush before this build , wondering what your experience using it’s been like , and did it meet your expectations ? ( remember you saying you’ve wanted one for ages ! ) . Have you obtained the #100A greeblies , and/ or planning to ? Any insights appreciated .
Thanks for sharing this update , and looking forward to future finished pics ;) ,

:cheersGed

IMG_6056.jpg

Yes, paragrafix grill added. Most impressive but a bit of a pain to install. Took me a couple of goes to work it out / bond it in. Then there was the painting. Didn't have a clue what colour to paint it so just gave it a base coat of off white and then a dusting of a darker grey. Both Tamiya spray cans.

re: the spray gun. Takes a bit of mastering. And I am not a master. Yes it was worth it as it adds another layer of paint finish / style, which helps in blending all the different paint methods together.

No word on the 100a pack. The next shipment is 98-100 + I suppose the wall mount. You would think that they would send out the 100a as well to save on postage.

Also bought a new power adapter off ebay to power the beast. works a treat. Everything's nice and bright with all the extra lighting added and the ramp motor is smooth.

Doss 9V DC 1.7 Amp Adapter Power supply 2.5mm​
(Local Oz seller). It has a reversible tip, so no probs with polarity.

Now that we're finished as such, I'm hoping that they start the R2 build here.... Next month.... As that's the month when they released the Falcon.

IMG_6056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back