WonderCon Los Angeles 2016 March 25-27

PumpMag

WonderCon 2016, March 25-27
Los Angeles Convention Center

If you are attending WonderCon 2016 this year, I encourage you to purchase your tickets as early as possible. As history has once again repeats itself Saturday single badges has already sold out. In fact, all badges sold out last year.

http://www.comic-con.org/wca

For 2016 the convention has moved from Anaheim to Los Angeles, this time on the same weekend as the Batman vs Superman film release and again will be on Easter weekend. So with people on Spring Break, and perhaps DC may be making a huge promotional event there, this will be an event not to be missed. This is the first of the larger conventions for the year, and is run by the same group that organizes SDCC.

I'll be there, have my tickets and parking pass and all that. Luckily, I haven't paid for a Wondercon or a SDCC in decades. Loved it in Anaheim, hope LA wasn't a huge mistake.

This will be my first year attending WonderCon, although I have been going to SDCC for the past 11 years. I look forward to it, and hopefully it won't be as crazy as SDCC.

Nothing compares to the insane lines and crowds of SDCC. But have your cameras ready.....I am co-ordinatating a Judge Dredd patrol at WonderCon. Watch out perps!

I'll be there on Saturday at least... I'm also rocking the pro-badge status, but hopefully I can spot some of you first-timers in the crowd!

-M

I parked there for AX one day last year. It wasn't the best, but it was way better than the Woody and Friends nightmare in Anaheim.

Risu, you can find parking same day if you go really early. At Comikaze last October I got there late, and it was horrible. Prices were outrageous at $25 to $35!

This will be my first year attending WonderCon, although I have been going to SDCC for the past 11 years. I look forward to it, and hopefully it won't be as crazy as SDCC.

I can't speak to how it will be this year in the new venue, but Wondercon in recent years has always reminded me of how SDCC was in the early days before it turned into a media whoring circus. I wouldn't step foot in SDCC these days, even though I get in free, but I've been going to Wondercon since it came to SoCal and have loved every year. I'm all packed and ready to go tomorrow and am hopeful that the move to LA wasn't a mistake.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be there. What's this about a parking pass, though? Can you not just show up and park?

You can, just not at the convention center itself. That's all prepaid parking, $30 a day or $75 for all three days. I went that way, just because I didn't want to worry about finding parking like you do at SDCC.

Just returned from a Sat. visit to Wondercon. Like I stated in a previous post, I have been going to SDCC for more than 10 years, but this was my first time at Wondercon. My brother and I had a great time! Everything was easy to get to; for the most part, there was always room to walk on the floor. We didn't attend any panels, but spent most of our time on the floor and out in the open area in front. Like others have said, this seems a lot like how SDCC felt when I first attended in 2005. With that said, there is a certain vibe in San Diego that probably can't be captured elsewhere. Maybe it's the Con being right on the ocean, maybe because there are so many outside events, maybe because I have a lot of great SDCC memories. Who knows? All I can say is that this visit seemed a lot less stressful than visiting SDCC and trying to navigate the masses. Glad I went!

I went all 3 days and I have to say that I enjoyed it more at Anaheim, I really don't like layout of the LA Convention Center, everything is too spread out and going to the Microsoft Live Theater was annoying, not to mention that their security policies are completely different from the con's and they wouldn't allow me in a with an airsoft pistol that had cleared con security. I was so glad when I read in the program that they're back in Anaheim next year.

One thing interesting that I had heard on the radio yesterday was mention of the ComicCon group wanting to bring WonderCon back up North sometime. I don't know they mean permanently or alternating, they didn't elaborate, I do know that at one point they were looking at moving WonderCon back North and essentially doing a brand new con down in Anaheim or doing a WonderCon North in the Fall or Winter and doing WonderCon South in the Spring but I don't know if they're going to do any of that. I wouldn't mind having the con happen twice a year, hopefully by doing so it would keep WonderCon from ever growing too big and become a hard to enjoy giant like ComicCon is today.

Just returned from a Sat. visit to Wondercon. Like I stated in a previous post, I have been going to SDCC for more than 10 years, but this was my first time at Wondercon. My brother and I had a great time! Everything was easy to get to; for the most part, there was always room to walk on the floor. We didn't attend any panels, but spent most of our time on the floor and out in the open area in front. Like others have said, this seems a lot like how SDCC felt when I first attended in 2005. With that said, there is a certain vibe in San Diego that probably can't be captured elsewhere. Maybe it's the Con being right on the ocean, maybe because there are so many outside events, maybe because I have a lot of great SDCC memories. Who knows? All I can say is that this visit seemed a lot less stressful than visiting SDCC and trying to navigate the masses. Glad I went!

You will enjoy it much more back in Anaheim. My first year at SDCC was 1974, I went for more than 35 years straight, before it turned into the overcroweded media monstrosity it is today. Wondercon feels a bit more like SDCC did back in the late 80s/early 90s.

I went all 3 days and I have to say that I enjoyed it more at Anaheim, I really don't like layout of the LA Convention Center, everything is too spread out and going to the Microsoft Live Theater was annoying, not to mention that their security policies are completely different from the con's and they wouldn't allow me in a with an airsoft pistol that had cleared con security. I was so glad when I read in the program that they're back in Anaheim next year.

I hate LA as a city and the LA Convention Center sucks. My wife and I had already decided on Friday that if they ever had Wondercon there again, we wouldn't go. Even SDCC is more convenient to get around than the LACC.

One thing interesting that I had heard on the radio yesterday was mention of the ComicCon group wanting to bring WonderCon back up North sometime. I don't know they mean permanently or alternating, they didn't elaborate, I do know that at one point they were looking at moving WonderCon back North and essentially doing a brand new con down in Anaheim or doing a WonderCon North in the Fall or Winter and doing WonderCon South in the Spring but I don't know if they're going to do any of that. I wouldn't mind having the con happen twice a year, hopefully by doing so it would keep WonderCon from ever growing too big and become a hard to enjoy giant like ComicCon is today.

They've been talking about that since 2012 when the con first came to SoCal. It's going to be here permanently now, it's a much bigger and more successful show than it ever was in NorCal. They might start another convention up there, but taking something that is hugely successful and moving it to a place where it never was as successful, that's a little silly.

I hate LA as a city and the LA Convention Center sucks. My wife and I had already decided on Friday that if they ever had Wondercon there again, we wouldn't go. Even SDCC is more convenient to get around than the LACC.

They've been talking about that since 2012 when the con first came to SoCal. It's going to be here permanently now, it's a much bigger and more successful show than it ever was in NorCal. They might start another convention up there, but taking something that is hugely successful and moving it to a place where it never was as successful, that's a little silly.

Well, a lot has changed since 2012. The popularity of cons has grown tremendously. If Wondercon were to come back to the bay area I think its attendance numbers would exceed that of when it was last held. 2 weeks ago the Steve Wozniak & Stan Lee produced Silicon Valley Comic Con was a hit. The population up here in the bay area is eager to get a huge legit con back in the area.

I hate to admit it but Southern California is a better choice to hold it though. Its all about $$ and more of it is spent in SoCal than in the bay area. Better hotels. People can visit Disneyland and Universal Studios and the other popular attractions during the Easter/Spring Break time.

Well, a lot has changed since 2012. The popularity of cons has grown tremendously. If Wondercon were to come back to the bay area I think its attendance numbers would exceed that of when it was last held. 2 weeks ago the Steve Wozniak & Stan Lee produced Silicon Valley Comic Con was a hit. The population up here in the bay area is eager to get a huge legit con back in the area.

I hate to admit it but Southern California is a better choice to hold it though. Its all about $$ and more of it is spent in SoCal than in the bay area. Better hotels. People can visit Disneyland and Universal Studios and the other popular attractions during the Easter/Spring Break time.

See, next year isn't even going to be over Easter and it will still be bigger down here than it ever would be in Northern California. There are more people, and because it's closer to Hollywood, you get better guests. At least when it goes back to Anaheim, it is literally across the street from Disneyland, although in LA, there was literally nothing around the convention center at all. I mean, you couldn't even walk to a McDonalds. But we're leaving that crappy place behind.

See, next year isn't even going to be over Easter and it will still be bigger down here than it ever would be in Northern California. There are more people, and because it's closer to Hollywood, you get better guests. At least when it goes back to Anaheim, it is literally across the street from Disneyland, although in LA, there was literally nothing around the convention center at all. I mean, you couldn't even walk to a McDonalds. But we're leaving that crappy place behind.

Yes, seeing that next year won't be on Easter weekend & back in Anaheim, I will consider attending next year. I agree, there is nothing around the L.A. convention center. There's a Target a couple blocks away . . . woohoooO! Hotels around the area are scarce too.

I just read an article about how Los Angeles would love the opportunity to host the main COMIC CON if San Diego or another adequate venue isn't secured after 2018 when the current deal with San Diego expires. Good luck!!:facepalm

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back