robo3687's Kylo Ren Build

robo3687

Sr Member
eFhGY6w.png

I figured it was about time I put a thread up for this on here, the facebook group is getting a little...crowded...yeah that's a good word for it...

For the last, probably, 8 months or so I've been researching and planning a Kylo Ren build and slowly gathering the parts and materials (and skills) I'll need to pull it off.

It's a daunting task (this is my first real attempt at a costume) and this is how I'm planning on tackling it:

Buy
Anovos Kylo Ren Helmet (on preorder, but I have a backup Black Series for the time being)
Gloves (bought John Fuqua's V2's)
Belt
Lightsaber (I have guabe's v5 printed from Shapeways)

Make
Pants (anovos style)
Pleated Tunic (with separate sleeve shirt)
Mid Coat
Top Coat (I have Luke Daley's basket weave on order)
Boots (not happy with the accuracy of the commercially available options so I'm making them from scratch)
Neckseal

I've roughed out my patterns in Marvelous Designer 5 on an avatar matching my measurements and will use them as a shape guide when making the real ones on a duct tape dummy.

S51t88a.png

I plan on making the soft parts from the inside out, starting with the neckseal, pants and undershirt/pleated sleeves combo. I've got the fabric for them all coming in the next week or so and I've got a bag of lambskin offcuts for the neck seal.

I'm going to be taking my time with this, as I'm targeting having it ready for the Episode 8 premiere, mainly to spread the cost over a longer period, but to also free time for other things (I've got a book coming out this year that I have to finish). I do have some stuff already done, or in progress, that I can post, I just need to organise the pics.

All in all I expect this to be a terrifying, expensive, enlightening and fun experience...

Neck Seal

Alright, I've got my first soft part made, the neck seal.
zf4cvwj.jpg
R0GJO0I.jpg

The base is a black cotton drill, I based my pattern for it off of how SMP Designs did theirs (http://smpdesigns.com/how-it-was-made-kylo-ren/).
pZatif1.jpg
9KMkv50.jpg

For the leather I just draped it around the neck seal and clipped it in place with some bulldog clips, and then trimmed, adjusted as needed till I had the look I was after. I didn't aim to replicate the Anovos neck seal exactly, I just went for the same haphazard feel. From there I tacked the pieces on in various places around the piece before removing it from the dummy and tacking it on further. The bottom piece is whip-stitched the entire way around the piece.
i5EshhB.jpg

It closes in the back with velcro.
Ibh8Cn9.jpg

Lastly I found a balaclava to go under it and cover any gaps between the seal and the helmet (as per the movie).
O9UeYCB.jpg
jlTXpzz.jpg

Small update time: I've finished my first pass at painting my guabe's V5 Kylo saber.

Ce3cmR4UUAAzLbC.jpg
Ce3cmroUYAA3QvN.jpg

there's still some things I have to touch up and I'm still waiting on a few printed parts to come (should be here this week).

I had all the parts printed at shapeways in their White, Strong and flexible material. I won't be putting electronics into this saber, I plan on weighting it and have it as my display/belt saber. I have bought a black series to be my "light up" saber, should be here this week too.

I've also been working on my patterns and mockups for the under layers of the costume (pants and undershirt w/ pleated sleeves) and will have some more progress on that soon.

Looking good so far!! I love the scar. The neck seal looks good too.

I'll be curious as to what you end up spending total on the costume — not to mention the time involved.

I ordered the entire Anovos ensemble and am happy to wait a year on it because I didn't want to spend the time making it all myself... I've done that for 43 years. haha I figured I'd end up spending at least $2600 (I got it tier 1) on it all anyway.

Looks like yours is gonna be worth it though!

I may borrow your method on the neck seal. I was content with using a dickie mock turtle neck, but now seeing how you did it with the clips and the leather, I may be able to duplicate a similar effect without losing my mind. Cheers.

Looking good so far!! I love the scar. The neck seal looks good too.

I'll be curious as to what you end up spending total on the costume — not to mention the time involved.

I ordered the entire Anovos ensemble and am happy to wait a year on it because I didn't want to spend the time making it all myself... I've done that for 43 years. haha I figured I'd end up spending at least $2600 (I got it tier 1) on it all anyway.

Looks like yours is gonna be worth it though!

I'm thinking I'll probably end up spending around what the Anovos costs, maybe a little less, that's how it's tracking anyway. But the cost will be spread out over the course of the year so hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm more than happy to take the time to make it all (which will be quite a lot), I quite enjoy it. Hell, I'm going to be hand sewing my pleats just because I don't trust my precision with a sewing machine yet...lol...

-------

in other news, I've just about finished my saber

CfV0kdaUYAAOCVo.jpg

still need to trim and secure the bottom of the red wire, but I'm happy with how it's turning out.

Alrighty, it's been quite a while since I've posted and there's been a lot of progress on several fronts. There'll be a couple of more in depth posts (with better pictures) on the making of these things soon but for now I have a few finished items.

Pants

I drafted up a basic pant pattern in my measurements, modified it for kylo (adding the knee darts for movement) and made them from a black stretch denim (plus I added some leather loops and suspenders). I haven't put in the front fly of the ANOVOS yet, but I can add one at a later date if need be. This'll spend most of it life on a mannequin, and they don't need toilet breaks.

tcVZwdk.jpg

KGaPQDd.jpg

Knee darts

Pleated Undershirt

(Note: I said earlier I was going to hand sew my pleats...I didn't....thank the maker that I worked out a foolproof method of machine sewing it and getting everything lined up without a need for pinning or pressing or hand sewing...lol)

I used the ANOVOS as a look guide again, but didn't include the mesh panel. I drafted the pattern out from scratch, which included a lot of close reference research and math for the sleeves. There is a finite pattern/sizing to the pleats, they are not uniform and are in no way random, though there are at least 2 variants (involving the position of the first skinny pleat)

iP9UsiJ.jpg

oBgCV4T.jpg

HDh2PAF.jpg

here's a comparison between the screen pleats and my pleats, I do have the skinny pleat at the wrist, it just didn't show up in this photo (both sleeves are identical). The comparison is a little janky since I did it on my ipad, but i'm confident in how they match up.

13221689_10153611609332621_6994126756316359102_n.jpg

and here's the whole base layer on a hanger

JewCFRN.jpg

I'm very happy/proud of how this is coming together since it's my first 'proper' attempt at sewing. It's been fun.

More posts soon

oh and my black series came in too, so I got that up on the wall.

bQs1FYZ.jpg

Just wanted to say nice job so far. Those pleated sleeves look amazing!!!!!

1. Also, could you please elaborate on your "foolproof method of machine sewing it and getting everything lined up without a need for pinning or pressing or hand sewing"? I'd love to know how you managed that.
2. Do you have them attached to a backing fabric?
3. What fabric are the sleeves made from?

Any other info would be great! Thanks.

Just wanted to say nice job so far. Those pleated sleeves look amazing!!!!!

1. Also, could you please elaborate on your "foolproof method of machine sewing it and getting everything lined up without a need for pinning or pressing or hand sewing"? I'd love to know how you managed that.
2. Do you have them attached to a backing fabric?
3. What fabric are the sleeves made from?

Any other info would be great! Thanks.

1. I'll be doing a post sometime this week detailing this very thing...stay tuned.
2. Yes, the pleats are strips sewn onto a backing piece
3. the sleeves are made from cotton duck canvas

i've made quite a bit of progress since my last post. I'm halfway through making the pleated tunic, and I was able to finally get some suited up shots today. I'll be doing up a post on it (and the pleat process) over the weekend.

F7quiEm.jpg

been a while since I updated on Kylo, so here's a few shots.

------

In October I finally got around to finishing off the pleated layer (seen here actually slightly unfinished with an unmodded black series helmet and stylish carboard belt...i also have a mannequin now...)

oJQPgsx.jpg

Then in December, this bad boy arrived...

3Nh7bLG.jpg

and that smartened things up quite a bit

zP5WfT6.jpg

and here's a look at how it stands now, complete with unfinished leather belt, calico test mid coat, calico test hood, and a scrap of fabric for a scarf. I'll be doing the proper mid coat in the next 2 weeks or so and then it'll be onto the basketweave.

3mX2lWt.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back