Jedi Training Remote

newmagrathea

Sr Member
IMG_3138.JPG

Hey guy's I'm about to kick off building a Jedi Training Remote. This is my first foray into kit-bashing, studio scale, and molding and casting. I believe that I have all the parts and materials except for some paint. I do have some questions that my research hasn't been able to confirm and was wondering if anyone knew.

Questions

1. The wheels from the Kenworth kit some have lugs and some do not. We do know that both were used on the real prop, but do we know how many of each? And what is the pattern of placement for them if any?

2. I've seen a few people use different thicknesses of styrene sheet to make the panels, do we know what the actual thickness is? I've seen both .75 mm(.030 inch), and .5 mm(.020 inch), seems like quite a disparity.

3. I'm wanting some opinions on the best way to make parts chrome. I'm going to be molding and casting the parts because there are not enough in each kit and the wheels need to be chrome. I've seen some people send out for a plating service, I've seen some paint with high gloss black paint and then spray chrome paint with some success. I'm sure there are more options and I'd like to know about them and the pros and cons of each.

List of Parts
1/48 Tamiya Panther "Type G" (Bandai is what was used on the real prop)
cupola
hatches
tank treads
Detail - part #3
Muffler Baffle

1/24 ERTL Kenworth T-600 kit #6976 — or — AMT Midnight Express
Chrome truck rims * 8
Axle Bracket * 8

1/72 scale M-4(A3E8) Sherman tank model by Hasegawa
Male Wheel halves
Female wheel halves

1/72 Airfix Panzer IV
wheels

2x 6 inch Plastruct VHH-600 hemispheres

Scotchlite Reflective tape to back the hubs and cupolas

Styrene sheet

Paint + alternative colors
Floquil Freight Car Brown = Testers acrylic rust
Floquil Reefer White = white testers primer, Tamiya flat white, Testers Insignia white
testers flint gray = Tamiya Haze Grey

Here are my resources for researching this project. If you know of any others please share them with me.

Resources
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=42132
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=150843
http://www.partsofsw.com/tremote/trremote.htm

Am I forgetting anything? I plan to post progress but I don't expect that this will go very fast seeing as how there a lot of first for me. Any tips, ideas, tricks are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Can't help you with your questions since i haven't built the remote yet. But good luck on your first build. I'm sure you will enjoy the hell out of it.

At some point, you've just got to start in. You can go a hell of a long way on this project before you need any of the detail bits, working out the rim placement, detail placement, how to properly cut the plate detail so that it conforms to the sphere and gives you a good vertical spacing, etc... and getting into building a good way along. Cast your parts if you're satisfied they're matches or near enough. Only thing I'd do, if you can or choose, is get a good look at what the Tamiya has v the original Bandai. (I'm guessing Detail 3 is the U-Brackets) Scale match is nice, but they may not have agreed on some 1:1 dimensions, and you might find that nudging something a mm or a few one way or another throws you off. In short though, get going. :)

Hi newmagrathea!

You have overtaken me!!

I was working in this model too.
I would have liked to make a complete thread with all the process. (dedicated especially to Luke0312, who was the first member, who helped me in this forum, providing me a copy of the Brundelfly's tutorial)

I have the bandai Panther, and you can ask me for same cast you want.
There are some conflictive points in the measures, if you have same doubts, I´ll tell you what I decided (Only "my" interpretation, of course, I´m not any expert)

Thanks to post this so generously

Cheers.

Luis

At some point, you've just got to start in. You can go a hell of a long way on this project before you need any of the detail bits, working out the rim placement, detail placement, how to properly cut the plate detail so that it conforms to the sphere and gives you a good vertical spacing, etc... and getting into building a good way along. Cast your parts if you're satisfied they're matches or near enough. Only thing I'd do, if you can or choose, is get a good look at what the Tamiya has v the original Bandai. (I'm guessing Detail 3 is the U-Brackets) Scale match is nice, but they may not have agreed on some 1:1 dimensions, and you might find that nudging something a mm or a few one way or another throws you off. In short though, get going. :)

Yeah, I'm going to start teaching myself about casting and molding first. I'll probably go through the materials that were sent in the kit I bough and watch some videos on youtube.

If anyone knows of some good resources for learning about it please send it my way.

Hi newmagrathea!

You have overtaken me!!

I was working in this model too.
I would have liked to make a complete thread with all the process. (dedicated especially to Luke0312, who was the first member, who helped me in this forum, providing me a copy of the Brundelfly's tutorial)

I have the bandai Panther, and you can ask me for same cast you want.
There are some conflictive points in the measures, if you have same doubts, I´ll tell you what I decided (Only "my" interpretation, of course, I´m not any expert)

Thanks to post this so generously

Cheers.

Luis

Nice, if you want to post your progress on here you can. I'm going to cast all my parts so I hopefully don't destroy any original parts. I would definitely be interested in some of your cast parts of the Bandai, I can send you a set of Tamiya cast parts. I would love to see the difference in sizes and detail.

Why not just buy a 1/48 Bandai Panther G? It's not at all rare, was used on bunches of studio-built miniatures, and I'm pretty sure you can still buy them on eBay, where it looks like they're actually a good bit cheaper than that Tamiya kit.

Why not just buy a 1/48 Bandai Panther G? It's not at all rare, was used on bunches of studio-built miniatures, and I'm pretty sure you can still buy them on eBay, where it looks like they're actually a good bit cheaper than that Tamiya kit.

Interesting, I couldn't find any for sale when I was hunting down these kits. I may just pick one up that is found on the bay. Thanks

I'm contemplating building one of these too. Have only bought a Hasegawa kit so far. Lol

I will watch your progress on this with great interest. Thanks for sharing so far, it has helped me discover what parts/kits I need to find.

kuwahero

Frank your Training remote was one of the first things ever offered as a kit! what was it 95ish? Post some pics of it and lets take a gander!

Frank's training remote was one of the first props I actually built... now building that kit would feel like cheating :)

But so glad I did it.

That remote and my first wildly inaccurate DL-44... good times...

That's where you'd be wrong ... they've sold to crazy prices on ePay lately :/

- - - Updated - - -

for your questions:

1. the Hubs - 6 with bolts, 2 without :)
2. plastic ... I used 1mm which I vac-formed over the hemispheres, and then cut all the parts from that ...... so probably close to .75mm

That's where you'd be wrong ... they've sold to crazy prices on ePay lately :/

- - - Updated - - -

for your questions:

1. the Hubs - 6 with bolts, 2 without :)
2. plastic ... I used 1mm which I vac-formed over the hemispheres, and then cut all the parts from that ...... so probably close to .75mm

Yeah, I've looked for that kit and only seen one for sale on the bay, it's price went higher than all of the supplies I've bought combined so I passed on it. Thanks for the info. I need to get to work on this, I've been busy with yard work now that it's getting nice out.

Best advice I can give is to buy some WED clay and start making molds. Its surprising easy on simple, non detailed items. Once you get into items with a lot of details is where it becomes tough.

A vacuum degasser helps but try not to trap air bubbles and you should be OK. Pour slowly and shake/ tap the mold box while pouring.

Wow! Such an excellent source of info! Thanks for putting this up. (As if I needed any help spending money!)

looking around at at model kits and things, has anyone tried using some of the newer AMT Peterbilt 359 1/25 models? Their availability is quite good but was wondering about the parts being even remotely useable. The wheels look spot on but not sure about the axle mounts being present.

Has anyone modelled these up in CAD before? The greeblies are tiny but I've had great success with shapeways hi res frosted detail material before. I'd be happy to give it a try if someone is willing to lend some parts that I can measure up.

Last edited:
Picked up a 00 Airfix Panzer IV which I read somewhere was the correct model, however, I can't seem to find where I referenced this. I believe this scale is 1/76?

I see you have a 1/72 Airfix Panzer IV. Did I get the wrong one? or is the diff in size negligible.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back