ANH Vader sculpt (first sculpt)

It looks right impressive, indeed. The forehead is something I agree with but the angle of the cheeks is something I would reduce just a bit. They slope a bit more and are a bit flatter than what you've got currently.

Way better than I thought!

I agree the top of the forehead is the only thing that really sticks out as being "off".

I still think it's a near impossible task to sculpt from scratch something that would really match 100% to an SL or eFX or even a Quasimodo...

You really captured the look! And your first sculpt????

VERY impressive!!!

Thank you! And I agree, I don't think I could get close to 100% accurate but if I can capture the character and make something that doesn't look way off I will be satisfied.

Currently I think you should concentrate on the upper eyebrows and brow of the mask and leave everything else as-is for now. You need to extend the upper eyebrows further out in an arch in towards the nose tip but starting from the corner you have already and then build up the brow so it doesn't slope back quite so much.

Can't say it's a perfect illustration, but here's what I'm talking about regarding adding material to the upper eyebrows and brow. You may also have to angle out the nose bridge a bit towards the top compared to how you have it, but I may be wrong on that.

DSC_0458.jpg

It has been far too long but I am back with some progress, hopefully I'll have some time to wrap this phase of the project up soon. Getting to the point where I'm doing research on molding and casting, learning about materials etc., if anyone has any helpful links to good resources and tutorials that would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure I'll have more questions regarding that process further down the line. The feedback I got on my last update was very helpful and I fixed some pretty obvious issues. Still lots of fine tuning to do but I just thought I would share my progress, as always any feedback is appreciated.
DSC_0500.jpgDSC_0499.jpgDSC_0508.jpgDSC_0501.jpgDSC_0502.jpg

That's looking really great. Nice changes. There are a few things that pop out that could need some work, though, I don't know how accurate you want to make this. It's looking great right now and only the teeth needs slimming as the most obvious fix. The rest are just minor (yeah, I know I say minor, but they are probably the hardest tweaks to get exactly right) tweaks that you can decide whether you want to attempt or just go for good looking.

Keep up the great work. The Vader face mask really is one of the harder things to get right, but you are doing great. :)

That's looking really great. Nice changes. There are a few things that pop out that could need some work, though, I don't know how accurate you want to make this. It's looking great right now and only the teeth needs slimming as the most obvious fix. The rest are just minor (yeah, I know I say minor, but they are probably the hardest tweaks to get exactly right) tweaks that you can decide whether you want to attempt or just go for good looking.

Keep up the great work. The Vader face mask really is one of the harder things to get right, but you are doing great. :)

Thank you! Slimming the teeth down shouldn't be too hard, besides that I think I'll just clean up the edges, refine a few minor details and smooth it out, then call it done. It's been almost a year since I've started it and I'm pretty pleased with where it's at.

I took a very long hiatus from the project, needed to take a step back but I've been gone for far too long! I have had a renewed interest in this project so here I am. No huge changes since the last pictures I shared. As always any and all feedback is welcome. Obviously needs lots of smoothing and refining but as far as accuracy is concerned I'm not sure how much I feel like changing, however all observations will be taken into account.
DSC_0537.jpgDSC_0536.jpgDSC_0534.jpgDSC_0535.jpgDSC_0533.jpgDSC_0532.jpgDSC_0530.jpg

I'm back and with some major progress! I finally got the sculpt to a satisfactory point and went through the molding and casting process. It was a bit nerve-racking at first but I am very pleased with the results. I'm going to wait for the sanding and puttying until the dome is finished so I can do them both at the same time. Melting down my monster clay tomorrow and diving into the dome.
DSC_0571.jpgDSC_0570.jpgDSC_0565.jpgDSC_0573.jpg

I have been working on sculpting the dome and decided to take a bit of a different approach. I printed and assembled a pepakura dome by juvito (excellent work by the way) and was originally just going to use it as a reference for scale. After putting it all together I just decided to reinforce the outside and sculpt against the inside of the paper, then I just poured warm clay into that around a foam support I made and covered with tinfoil. I suppose this was a bit of a cheat but it did save me a lot of time and insured that I had the scale pretty close. Still some work to do but this is where I am at. As always any critique is welcome!
21752292_10155812468214048_7200502473086567661_n.jpg21686102_10155812468129048_6072905091987010120_n.jpgDSC_0646.jpgDSC_0645.jpgDSC_0644.jpgDSC_0642.jpgDSC_0648.jpgDSC_0647.jpg

Very clever but, if I were doing this, I would've done this the way the sculptors did back then and had the face used as a buck to sculpt the dome over, to make sure the scale is correct.

Ive been at this a long time to notice all of the different sculptural angles on Vader's face from original to a fan sculpt. Its just way to hard to scratch sculpt an accurate helmet...this is one aspect that needs lineage to look like the helmet stepped off of the screen.

With that said your sculpt is one of the best Ive seen that were scratch built. Keep up the good work. I can not wait to see the helmet all painted up!

The faceplate by itself looks amazing!! Outstanding work!![emoji1360][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I look forward to putting it all together.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive been at this a long time to notice all of the different sculptural angles on Vader's face from original to a fan sculpt. Its just way to hard to scratch sculpt an accurate helmet...this is one aspect that needs lineage to look like the helmet stepped off of the screen.

With that said your sculpt is one of the best Ive seen that were scratch built. Keep up the good work. I can not wait to see the helmet all painted up!
Thank you you for the encouraging words, I'm pretty excited myself to see it all painted and assembled...slowly but surely.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back