Phase 1 : My Star Wars Blaster Builds

Re: Star Wars Blaster Builds

Right, here's another box ticked on my Star Wars display; The Imperial E-11 blaster (Death Star detention block version).

Sterling (38).jpg

I started with a deactivated ex-British-Army Sterling L2A3 sub machine gun from the early 1980's. Mine came with most of it's original paint finish, removable magazine, moving slide & trigger and no rust.

Sterling (02).jpg

Since the gun was in such good condition I simply went over it with some sandpaper and gave it a fine coat of Rustoleum multi-surface flat black paint, flatted with my trusty brass brush. I had already decided to recreate the version of the E-11 used by Han and Luke pretending to be stormtroopers in the Death Star detention-block scenes. This means the smaller M19 scope and no Hengstler counter, which is cool as Hengstler Eagle 400 counters are more expensive than original Graflex clamps on the web these days. I managed to get the last replica scope from DEC's first run of 2016 and it's a beauty.

Sterling (05).jpg

I got a scope rail made from aluminium strip online and 'accurised' it to make it much lower at the front as per my baseline reference picture of Harrison Ford (see post number 23 for this picture).
Accurate T-tracks from Wannawanga cover the barrel vents. I got a set of power cylinders in 'polished stainless-steel' from a Shapeways seller which were given a coat of black spray paint and then buffed back to reveal the metal on the edges. To keep it accurate these are the cylinders in what's known as 'Shape B' which has the gentle top downward curve to match one of the two known shapes from the detention block scene.

Sterling (21).jpg Sterling (24).jpg Sterling (14).jpg

The only thing which actually took any real fabrication on this build was cutting down the Sterling magazine. Luckily I can wield a hacksaw, a file and a pair of pliers so I did it myself and it looks pretty good. I haven't made my magazine quite as short as some people do, and that's more by accident than design. When I looked at other magazines I thought it was a simple 50% reduction and so I cut the mag clean in half. Actually I should have gone a bit shorter but it's one of those 'close enough' components that I'm actually quite happy with. After bending the ends of the T-tracks in boiling water I attached them to the gun barrel with a clear silicone assembly adhesive of the type used for making glass aquariums. Attachment of the power cylinders onto the magazine receiver was achieved with a small dab of 5-minute epoxy.

Sterling (41).jpg Sterling (29).jpg Sterling (36).jpg Sterling (32).jpg

Sterling (02).jpg

Sterling (05).jpg

Sterling (14).jpg

Sterling (21).jpg

Sterling (24).jpg

Sterling (41).jpg

Sterling (29).jpg

Sterling (36).jpg

Sterling (32).jpg

Sterling (38).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: UserD's Blaster Builds

I'm sorry if I missed this earlier, but where did you get your GK stand?

eBay UK. Just search for airsoft pistol stand. I like them because they have a Star Wars vibe with the cut out shapes.

Many thanks for everyone's comments and compliments. I'm at the planning stage for a 'real-parts' project that will require big funds to bring to fruition so I may go quiet for a bit over the winter while I work to get this under way.

There was a TV movie pilot in 1976/77 named "Enigma", it was Norman Felton going back to the U.N.C.L.E. well. I didn't see the beginning, but I believe that the organization was a private one, that helped people in trouble. In the movie, they used stun guns, which were Crossman airgun model you have with a red light, or LED in the muzzle. I would like to see the movie again.

David.

Interesting. A quick internet search reveals the following information about that show;

Enigma. 1977. Director; Micheal O'Herlihy. Producer; Norman Felton, Writer; Sam Rolfe. Music by Harry Sukman. Made by 20th Century Fox television and broadcast by CBS. The show was a pilot for a series which was never picked up. Starring Scott Hylands as Andrew Icarus and Soon Tek Oh as his partner from China. They were undercover operatives for an organisation which used an international hotel chain as cover. Jim Davis played Colonel Valentine, the leader of a criminal organisation called 'the Dragon's Teeth' which was the main protagonist. In an effort to address the issue of violence on television the agents carried guns which fired electrical pulses which put people to sleep.

Unfortunately I can find no imagery associated with the show on any of the usual sources. It would be interesting to know what they did to those pistols. It wouldn't have been an LED in 1977 though....

As promised, I have continued to weather my OB1 saber in the past few weeks and it's just about there now.
I got a genuine Armitage Shanks sink knob and replaced Roman's machined aluminium replica, using metal epoxy putty to attach it to the end of the internal threaded rod and also to act as a spacer so I have the necessary visible threads before the booster. No pictures of that happening but then I gave the grenade body a good beating with a small hammer and left it outside for a couple of nights covered in vinegar and salt, which gave an amazing bubbly orange effect. When I rinsed it off under the tap, dried it and gave it a buff with my old black-shoe-polish brush it came up beautifully.
I also beat the trailing edges of the emitter with a flat bar hammer edge to give an effect a little like I have seen in the 'chronicles' pictures. I didn't go do hard with this as I didn't want to push it out of shape.

2016-10-21 08.20.16.jpg 2016-10-21 08.25.04.jpg
2016-10-21 09.11.03.jpg 2016-10-21 08.26.02.jpg

Only the Graflex clamp and band to weather now.

2016-10-21 15.33.56.jpg

2016-10-21 08.20.16.jpg

2016-10-21 08.25.04.jpg

2016-10-21 09.11.03.jpg

2016-10-21 08.26.02.jpg

2016-10-21 15.33.56.jpg

Good call with the vinegar and salt! is the surface still smooth and just discolored?

Also, I think it turns out those dents in the chronicle photos are actually gobs of glue. Inconel (or incontel?) is extremely dense and hard, leading us to realize it probably wasn't bent. They re-assembled the saber for those photos I think, including the pins/screws in the clamp, so im assuming they had to glue it back together.

Good call with the vinegar and salt! is the surface still smooth and just discolored?

Yes, it's still nice and smooth when you run your hands over it.
I only left it out for a while to add a little colour in the valleys of the grenade, not long enough to cause any real pitting.

I mentioned back before Christmas that I was planning a big real-parts project.
I managed to collect a set of parts to make a start but there were two rare parts which I couldn't find so it stalled a bit. At which point I pretty much decided to go ahead and try for that Webley flare gun at long last (the piece which started this whole thread) but before I did I had one last look in the junkyard and there she was, or rather there HE was.

BP-Veektohr-03.JPG

BP-Veektohr-03.JPG

I love that laser cut display you have. Did you make it? I need something like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that laser cut display you have. Did you make it? I need something like that!

I get them from eBay UK. They cost £12 each. Several sellers stock them so I guess they come from China. You have to clean them up when they arrive with a Scotchbrite pad as they are raw machine finish.
Just search for "airsoft pistol stand".

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back