How did the studio create the texture for the Deadpool costume?

efarley

I'm Interested in making a version of the new Deadpool costume and I'm not quite sure how they achieved the texturing that they did. I know for Spiderman and Superman it's screen printed on the fabric, but Deadpools looked like it was actually scored into the material. Does anyone have any ideas how this was accomplished?

Here's some reference photos I was able to find from the studio that made the suit.

Here the material appears to be a plain red leather with no texturing at all
0c2d9c7c0eef23a7-DSC01427.JPG

But here on the completed masks after weathering you can see the texturing clearly. I'm talking about the grid of lines running over the suit, not the darker splotching.
9f294b3598be75a0-DPsallinarow.jpg

Because the texture doesn't appear visible while she's sewing the suit and it's clearly pronounced once weathering is complete I have two theories, either A) The texture is scored into the leather in both photos and weathering just makes it really pop and become visible or B) They are adding the texture after the suit is complete, which seems like it would be very difficult.

Does anyone have any additional knowledge into how they built this suit or what techniques they might have used to achieve this texture?

Last edited:
Personally, I think the pattern on the material is there even in the sewing picture. I think it's just one of those things that doesn't pop until the weather the costume. Black wash is sitting in the low areas and the red in the highs...but maybe i'm wrong

Personally, I think the pattern on the material is there even in the sewing picture. I think it's just one of those things that doesn't pop until the weather the costume. Black wash is sitting in the low areas and the red in the highs...but maybe i'm wrong

That seems right to me. Look at the Deadpool heads behind the other heads. You can't see the pattern even at that close distance. The sewing picture is even further.

This is also what I was thinking, so does anyone have any ideas how they achieved it? All I can think of is making a rig that lets you score straight lines at a constant depth consistently spaced apart. While I have some ideas on how I might build such a rig, if there's an easier way I'd like to go that route.

I don't know much about how materials like that are made but to me it looks like either a sheet of material was put through a textured press, or it was poured into a flat mold with texture to make sheets. It doesn't seem like scoring to me since it looks more like it's bumps and grooves, with rounded rather than sharp edges like scoring would make.

Edit: I found a closer picture:
Deadpool_Entertainment_Weekly_Comic-Con_Cover.jpg
(That picture gets bigger than the viewer here shows it)
I'm starting to think it's not textured at all, but rather has alternating areas of matte and shiny material.

Last edited:
Other people on therpf have screen printed a grid pattern on material to replicate the fabric that was used.
Honestly, that is the closest solution that has been posted so far.. but I'm not sure how well a printed process would hold up to wear and tear- especially weathering the suit.

I'm building a suit as accuarte as I possibly can- and I'm not satisfied with any solutions I've come across (I'm all abt the details to a fault)

I'm convinced that its what we all initially thought, that it's a textured stretch material.

The suit designers used motorcycle jackets as reference and I'm almost positive that the material is identical to parts of the jacket
it's advertised to incorporate a breathable waterproof fabric.. a little tougher than puff paint ;)
Motorcycle-Jacket.jpg

I'd say screen printed spandex, most of the costumes from the Marvel Cinematic Universe are spandex with textures printed on. It may be silicone printed, rather than puff paint. The Captain America stealth suit was printed nylon, looks like the Avengers Captain America suit was the same way. I'm sure I read that the Ant-Man was printed silicone onto fabric. Here's a photo next to the Deadpool mask:

IMG_20160227_010505.jpg

Judianna Makovsky said they had to use a variety of fabrics to mimic one specific fabric on the stealth suit for Captain America.. and we can talk about the choices for Ant-Man but they're too small. :D
Who can say for sure, bc everybody and their brother signed a NDA, but the designer at Blur studios released his initial research for the deadpool suit and it referenced real world materials that wouldn't involve an incredible amount of extra funding like those available for bigger budget films.

In the film, deadpool refers to a spandex suit, but the suit doesn't have any of the characteristics of spandex. Other cosplayers can spend the time and money on painting spandex, but I'm focusing on the cost-effective route of finding an existing material that gives stretch, texture, and not suffocating-
Let's face it- unless you're planning on breaking the bank and hoping everyone buys a copy of your suit at half a grand, then what's the point?

I'll have to look into Blur Studios, I know Film Illusions who built the suit is under NDA and can't tell us anything.

I definitely don't think it's a spandex, the way it moves in the movie and how it lays as that girl is sewing it doesn't seem like spandex to me, it appears to be something stiffer and heavier than spandex. Although I am inclined to think whatever fabric they used they screen printed the texture for two reasons. 1) It doesn't look like it's a weave in the high res photos, it looks more like a multi layered checker board. 2) Film Illusions has made a number of other super hero suits and to my knowledge they were printed, for example they did Man of Steel which we know is printed and i doubt a low budget movie is going to pioneer any new techniques for material creation. They almost definitely used an existing fabric or screen printed using tried and tested methods from previous costumes.

Last edited:
If they're basing it off of motorcycle jacket and abrasion resistant textiles, cordura or a cordura/lycra blend may be a good place to start.

Textured fabric isn't that much more expensive if you know where to look- I've gotten something similar to another rpf member that posted this photo:
139a4944e8e6ef9784787aa944d26523.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back