Halliwax's BTTF windup car build!

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone! i just wanted to start this thread to document my very own wind up car build. i am very excited about this project. i have found 1 or 2 threads here with a load of information, but unfortunately the photo's arent there anymore. :( i plan to document this build with photos and some instructions on how to remove the chrome peices that way its alittle easier for anyone in the future to take the car apart for re painting! Emma just finished her car project and helped me out with measurements so a shout out to Emma in Candyland for all her help! check out her youtube channel for great videos of her collection!

heres the car i won off ebay last week, she came to me about 20 minutes ago and to my surprise all the chrome pieces (minus the grill) ARE PERFECT!! the ebay auction pictures made this thing look like a piece of junk, but in all honesty this thing is in great shape!!

IMG_6580.jpg

IMG_6578.jpg

STEERING WHEEL IS IN 1 PIECE! YAY!!!!
IMG_6581.jpg

IMG_6579.jpg

I am going to go now and jot down some notes from the previous threads. i think i found the correct color penicl, and emma hooked me up with some measurements for the Brass Catch Hook. I hit up my local Lowes yesterday to look for brass tubing but the smallest they had was 3/16" which looks way too big. so it looks like im going to have to order online.

Ill report back with further finds! as always thanks for viewing!

-danny

I just got my car in today as well, what a coincidence! This will help me out a ton with upgrading mine!

Will you be drilling into it or gluing the parts on to the car?

Last edited:
I just got my car in today as well :lol what a coincidence! This will help me out a ton with upgrading mine!

Will you be drilling into it or gluing the parts on to the car?

i will be drilling the hole for the windup key, i dont see how the original prop would have had a hole drilled of the pencil? the pencil is a hexagon shape if a hole was drilled for the pencil to fit in we would see gaps, unless a small hole was drilled for the catch hook to go down into the car

i believe I'm going to glue the pencil, but have a small hole for the catch hook to go down into car.

while i was at lowes yesterday i looked at some grounding wire in the electrical section. i think its think enough to look right, and should be easier to bend around the jig i plan on making to form the key. I'm just curious to big the inside oval of the key is..

- - - Updated - - -

what color car did you get?!

Cool! I wasn't planning on messing with mine anytime soon since I'm no good at this stuff but hopefully your thread changes that!

I got the right one which is a good thing since I would probably mess it up bad if I had to paint it!

oh man thats great you got the right red!! I'm on a hunt for the correct color now... decisions decisions!

I think for all of the people who might follow your thread might want to know the dimensions, so I'll just stick them here :)

So what I did for mine is that I cut down a yellowish/orange pencil to 2 cm and drilled a hole of a little over 3 mm in it. I inserted a brass tube of 3 mm in it and cut it down to 4 cm to fit inside the 2 cm pencil, so only 2 cm of it should stick out.

For the hook, I used a 2 mm brass tube that would fit inside the 3 mm tube. Not too tight so the antenna can move freely. I believe I've cut it down to 13 cm. Then, I've used my cooker to warm up the tube in order to bend it and inserted a solder wire before bending it (I bent 1cm out of it). It was a rather difficult process but yeah x)

And finally for the key I've used a 2.64mm copper round wire that I bent with pliers, I believe I made it 4cm wide, but I think 3cm would be good too. It was just a nightmare to bend :x
I have also used a 3mm acrylic tube that I've cut down to size and repainted black and then, varnished in order to keep the key in place... It also can be moved freely.

Anyway, I hope it was clear xD

Emma mind sharing what u used for the tonneau cover?

I see others have used styrene and stacked them up and sanded down to get the proper profile. which I think I am going to attempt.. times like this I wish I had a 3D printer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think for all of the people who might follow your thread might want to know the dimensions, so I'll just stick them here :)

So what I did for mine is that I cut down a yellowish/orange pencil to 2 cm and drilled a hole of a little over 3 mm in it. I inserted a brass tube of 3 mm in it and cut it down to 4 cm to fit inside the 2 cm pencil, so only 2 cm of it should stick out.

For the hook, I used a 2 mm brass tube that would fit inside the 3 mm tube. Not too tight so the antenna can move freely. I believe I've cut it down to 13 cm. Then, I've used my cooker to warm up the tube in order to bend it and inserted a solder wire before bending it (I bent 1cm out of it). It was a rather difficult process but yeah x)

And finally for the key I've used a 2.64mm copper round wire that I bent with pliers, I believe I made it 4cm wide, but I think 3cm would be good too. It was just a nightmare to bend :x
I have also used a 3mm acrylic tube that I've cut down to size and repainted black and then, varnished in order to keep the key in place... It also can be moved freely.

Anyway, I hope it was clear xD

awesome Emma!! great information right there!! thank you for sharing your specs!!

Emma mind sharing what u used for the tonneau cover?

I see others have used styrene and stacked them up and sanded down to get the proper profile. which I think I am going to attempt.. times like this I wish I had a 3D printer.

I have used a type of foam/cardboard. I didn't draw a pattern to be honest, I just took measurements and did a rough cut and fit it in xD

There's a shot of the car before it gets release that makes the cover appear to be some sort of foam. It's also hold with tape!!

5648468.jpg

I have used a type of foam/cardboard. I didn't draw a pattern to be honest, I just took measurements and did a rough cut and fit it in xD

There's a shot of the car before it gets release that makes the cover appear to be some sort of foam. It's also hold with tape!!

http://s10.postimg.org/rursd0bi1/5648468.jpg

emma now thinking about it and being able to view it on my mac, i bet it is some kind of foam, maybe even soaked in a flammable liquid to achieve a great combustion for that scene

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back