Dark Souls II: Faraam Set Armor build

PFMF

Hello Ladies and Gentleman.
I am starting to build the Faraam Set from Dark Souls 2.
So, I am not going to make a long introduction and jump right to the action.

Attachments

• tumblr_n6hxpzmLaI1skceqmo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n6hxpzmLaI1skceqmo1_500.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,274
So.
The first thing i started to build was the Breast- and Back-plate.

I used the classic method of using a craft foam core and covered it with Worblas.

Then after i had all parts combined together and brought into the right shape i covered it with Apoxi Sculpt. It is a real fantastic material. A two compound modeling mass that can be formed like clay but hardens very hard and stable.

I also modeled the details out of the same material.

Attachments

• IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 463
After wet sanding everything, i first primed everything and then painted it with a mellow lacker.

Then I used rivets to fix the leather strips that hold the two pieces together on the armor.

Attachments

• IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 402
  • IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 920
  • IMG_1580.jpg
    IMG_1580.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 771
Nice work! Apoxie Sculpt really is great, isn't it? I love how you used it to give your armor a hammered metal look. Can't wait to see the rest!

Great effect you've got there. It's such a recognisable set of armour too. Really looking forward to seeing more of it.

Yeah Apoxi Sculpt is a absolutely beautiful material. And the old hammered metal look is what I was going for. The armor´s from dark souls should´t look clean and new. All in this world is decaying and used.

I also started working on the shoulder plates. I am building them the same way as the breastplate.

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 328
And after that they were painted and fixed together with leather strips and rivets.
I also lined the insides with black fake leather. Makes a nice surface on the inside and looks good.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 319
  • IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 348
Really nice job! I was a bit skeptical at the idea of spreading apoxi sculpt over the entire piece, not just the details/raised edges, but it makes sense because its easier to sand than the worbla. Might have to try this for my berserk armor.

Yeah i know. First test pieces with this technique were not so promising. I used to much water modeling and made the layer to thin. I created bubbles and the Apoxisculpt didn´t adhere to the Worblas. It broke and fell of.

You need to make the layer thick enough (around 1.5 to 2 mm) and you should sand the Worblas with a rough sandpaper to create a rough surface on which the Apoxisculpt can stick. (it is only needed with bigger surfaces) And don't youse to much water because it gets brittle and creates bubbles on wide and thin layers.

Gotcha. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah i know. First test pieces with this technique were not so promising. I used to much water modeling and made the layer to thin. I created bubbles and the Apoxisculpt didn´t adhere to the Worblas. It broke and fell of.

You need to make the layer thick enough (around 1.5 to 2 mm) and you should sand the Worblas with a rough sandpaper to create a rough surface on which the Apoxisculpt can stick. (it is only needed with bigger surfaces) And don't youse to much water because it gets brittle and creates bubbles on wide and thin layers.

So, hard to believe, but this is still alive. Despite my atrocious englisch from back then, after over three years I finally got myself a linen fabric that has the perfect color and will start to sew the gambeson and skirt.
IMG_2340.jpg

And I have finally finished the base of the Helmet and started to cover it in Apoxi Sculpt. In my opinion the most daunting task, because of the complex shape. But I believe it came out relatively well.

IMG_2352.jpgIMG_2345.jpg

One nitpick, that will hopefully not become problematic later on, is that while test fitting it with the other armour pieces, I realised that it is comparatively big. This is sadly not changeable as my head is relatively big and a smaller helmet would not fit. I am hoping to later correct it with the shawl and fur parts and that it will not look oversized.

And I have continued to cover the helmet in Apoxi Sculpt. Now only the small bar pice on the crest needs to be covered before I can advance to sanding.

IMG_2366.jpg

I have finally covered the whole helmet in Apoxi Sculpt.
IMG_2387.jpg

I also finished the first sanding. I am quiet happy with the surface. It looks just as battered as I wanted and as a Dark Souls armour should.
IMG_2391.jpg

Next thing to do is to start with the detailing.

Thank's! It was not far from dead but came back even stronger. :D

So, and now on to detailing or, the fun part. We start off with the raised rims on the plates and a few ridges. Relatively easy to sculpt but important for the look.
IMG_2416.jpg

Next thing to do is sculpting what would in a real armour be the ridges that strengthen the helmet.

First I went to the references and measured them out so the placement would be correct. After that I took the marker to it and marked the positions.
IMG_2433.jpg

Then I continued with sculpting them and correcting their placement a little so that it would look more even.
IMG_2443.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back