Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    Messages
    47
    May 2, 2016, 3:31 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #101

    Those sleeves are definitely way too shiny. I really hope they fix this before it ships. The rest of it looks pretty decent.
  2. sharamordinae's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Messages
    75
    May 15, 2016, 4:32 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #102

    event said: View Post
    Trooper armor is easier to duplicate once you've made your bucks (which are simple in design). For the most part, you just form, cut, assemble. Every Kylo will require a lot more work and cost way more in materials. Plus, Kylo's helmet is far more complex than anything on a trooper.
    It just depends. If your doing a scratch build. Storm trooper has more parts and it takes more time to assemble and then vacuform them and get everything correct. Kylo its mostly just the helmet then putting the clothing together. When I made my cap phasma from scratch It took a total of 9 months to get everything done and thats without painting.
  3. Eric Richardson's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2013
    From
    Edmond, OK
    Messages
    50
    May 16, 2016, 7:39 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #103

    I'm sorry, I think it's insane that they would actually advertise ANOTHER pre-order item. At what point do they stop worrying about the money grab and fulfill the pre-orders that people have been waiting over 2 YEARS for?! I know that this (the RPF) is their home court, but every time I see yet another e-mail hawking a pre-order item I just delete it. There is absolutely ZERO reason that a cosplay item should take over a year to receive, let alone 2 years.
  4. Kain34's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2016
    From
    Europe
    Messages
    22
    May 16, 2016, 7:59 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #104

    Eric Richardson said: View Post
    I'm sorry, I think it's insane that they would actually advertise ANOTHER pre-order item. At what point do they stop worrying about the money grab and fulfill the pre-orders that people have been waiting over 2 YEARS for?! I know that this (the RPF) is their home court, but every time I see yet another e-mail hawking a pre-order item I just delete it. There is absolutely ZERO reason that a cosplay item should take over a year to receive, let alone 2 years.
    The thing is it isn't just a simple "cosplay item" but a real deal movie costume replica with an official license from Disney. No one will disagree with you that it's absolutely horrible how they've failed to ship Vader after more than 2 years. On the other hand I imagine they basically have to fund the costumes R&D cost from our pre-order payments which isn't ideal and requires a lot of consumer trust. They're in that business for quite a while and delivered some Star Wars costumes already. I think Anovos absolutely failed at focusing on only a few costumes and actually delivering them, instead of introducing new ones every month or so... there's no reason to defend them but we also shouldn't act as if they're purely lazy or scammers.
  5. event's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Messages
    59
    May 16, 2016, 2:52 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #105

    sharamordinae said: View Post
    It just depends. If your doing a scratch build. Storm trooper has more parts and it takes more time to assemble and then vacuform them and get everything correct. Kylo its mostly just the helmet then putting the clothing together. When I made my cap phasma from scratch It took a total of 9 months to get everything done and thats without painting.
    I strongly disagree for the reasons I already stated. How long it took you is a bit irrelevant because of repeatability (see my previous reply). You seem to not be considering cost of materials and actually scratch building a Kylo (aside from cast helmet, they're all essentially scratch built). It's not just "putting the clothing together", it's a **** ton of sewing every order.
    Last edited by event; May 16, 2016 at 3:47 PM. Reason: Clarified a point
  6. Vandark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    U.K.
    Messages
    601
    May 16, 2016, 4:22 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #106

    anovos are very very slow... and seemingly expensive, but I have no doubt their new products are perfect.
  7. sharamordinae's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Messages
    75
    May 16, 2016, 8:35 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #107

    event said: View Post
    I strongly disagree for the reasons I already stated. How long it took you is a bit irrelevant because of repeatability (see my previous reply). You seem to not be considering cost of materials and actually scratch building a Kylo (aside from cast helmet, they're all essentially scratch built). It's not just "putting the clothing together", it's a **** ton of sewing every order.
    No prob everyone has a right to disagree.
    My stand just comes from that there are about 22 parts of armor you must build from scratch and then mold or vacuform including the helmet for any kind of trooper armor.

    While kylo ren its just the helmet you have to do this to and the rest is clothing and a belt buckle.
    Its a bit easier to make a kylo ren costume from scratch then a full armor costume.

    Sewing is easier for some and you dont have to mess with making molds after you make your original.
  8. RPF Premium Member Bogleo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2014
    Messages
    669
    May 16, 2016, 10:11 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #108

    sharamordinae said: View Post
    No prob everyone has a right to disagree.
    My stand just comes from that there are about 22 parts of armor you must build from scratch and then mold or vacuform including the helmet for any kind of trooper armor.

    While kylo ren its just the helmet you have to do this to and the rest is clothing and a belt buckle.
    Its a bit easier to make a kylo ren costume from scratch then a full armor costume.

    Sewing is easier for some and you dont have to mess with making molds after you make your original.
    Well, if you want to make multiple fabric costumes, you have to trace/cut fabric from patterns, and in the case of Kylo's undercoat, do pleating and ironing, then sewing, finishing seams, installing zippers, hemming, and whatever other small adjustments.

    Vs armor, which would be vacforming sheets of plastic, trimming, gluing, and adding straps, installing lenses.

    I'm not saying one is easier since I don't have extensive experience in both, but in the case of multiples, fabric costumes might be more time consuming. Also, with Kylo Ren's, it's 3 different coats (under, mid, and outer), pants, boots, hoot, belt, gloves, and neck seal.
  9. sharamordinae's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Messages
    75
    May 17, 2016, 5:22 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #109

    Bogleo said: View Post
    Well, if you want to make multiple fabric costumes, you have to trace/cut fabric from patterns, and in the case of Kylo's undercoat, do pleating and ironing, then sewing, finishing seams, installing zippers, hemming, and whatever other small adjustments.

    Vs armor, which would be vacforming sheets of plastic, trimming, gluing, and adding straps, installing lenses.

    I'm not saying one is easier since I don't have extensive experience in both, but in the case of multiples, fabric costumes might be more time consuming. Also, with Kylo Ren's, it's 3 different coats (under, mid, and outer), pants, boots, hoot, belt, gloves, and neck seal.
    Just so you understand. A scratch build is not just ( vacforming sheets of plastic, trimming, gluing, and adding straps, installing lenses.)

    you have a lump of clay
    You have to sculpt out your form.
    Or you have pepekura that you have to fiberglass resin the outside and inside, then apply bondo and rondo and sand that down and etch in details with a dremel
    Or you build something out of wood etc and use bondo and such to get your details but your still sanding alot
    Or you use expanding foam and carve out a form.

    Next you have to then make a silicon mold out of that so you can cast a copy
    Once you make your copy you have to sand your cast down to get it smooth and ready to be painted.
    The lenses are another issue as you have to create, from one of the casts a form block to vacuform the plastic properly so it creates the perfect fit of lenses.

    Some parts you can vacuform and not have to make molds but things like the helmet or parts that go all the way around are usually molds.
    Its building the first parts of the scratch build the raw casts which takes the most time. And your doing this for about 20 to 22 peices depending on the trooper or mando or what not.

    If you have a kit then your just vacuforming and adjusting plastic and adding the straps etc. Then its easy. and its not a scratch build. So in that case yes kylo ren could be more difficult due to the seamstress work. But if were comparing it to a scratch build of a trooper armor with 20 pieces that have to be individually built. Trooper is more difficult when it comes to skill levels during a scratch build.
  10. event's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Messages
    59
    May 17, 2016, 8:10 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #110

    sharamordinae said: View Post
    .
    Now you're confusing skill with time. Everything you mentioned you can or has to be done to make all of Kylo's hard parts AND you have to sew, do leather work, manually apply coatings to fabric (believe it's heated wax). Also, Kylo isn't Kylo without his saber, it defines his personality in the movie. Even if you buy a Force FX saber you have to mod it to get it accurate. The paint is terrible and cartoonish, hilt DIA is way too wide and side emitters are too stubby and also need to have their DIA reduced significantly. So that's metal work and if you want the blades removable (which why wouldn't you) you'll need to do a conversion requiring a fair amount of electrical work and relocation of internals.

    Even if your costume comprised of 22 helmets, it wouldn't require more skill than making a single Kylo Helmet (which is more complex than anything on a trooper) and you still have to deal with all the other aspects of the build.. Doing a lot of one thing doesn't require more skill, just more time and endurance.

    Not sure how this discussion went from why Anovos is charging so much for Kylo to the difficulty of making a single costume from the ground up, but meh.
  11. Member Since
    Jun 2016
    Messages
    28
    Jun 15, 2016, 1:40 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #111

    Did anyone ever find out if Kylo ever wears the mid coat and outer coat at the same time?? I feel like I've really searched the movie over and can't tell. I can't even tell if the mid coat is on in the exhibit pics either. Is the mid coat strictly a star killer base outfit?
  12. RPF Premium Member Bogleo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2014
    Messages
    669
    Jun 15, 2016, 1:50 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #112

    TheDentedOne said: View Post
    Did anyone ever find out if Kylo ever wears the mid coat and outer coat at the same time?? I feel like I've really searched the movie over and can't tell. I can't even tell if the mid coat is on in the exhibit pics either. Is the mid coat strictly a star killer base outfit?
    He wears both in these pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vf1.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	635163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vf3.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	555.9 KB 
ID:	635164
  13. Member Since
    Jun 2016
    Messages
    28
    Jun 15, 2016, 4:40 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #113

    Those were the only pics I could find also that he has both of them on. Problem is it's not in the movie. I guess I'm wanting to know if it's 501st approved without the mid coat. I would assume the anovos is 501st approved as is but I could be wrong. I just can't seem to find any other time where he has both of them on other than those two pictures. I looked at some of the Toronto exhibit pics and it seems to me it's not on in that exhibit.
  14. Kain34's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2016
    From
    Europe
    Messages
    22
    Jun 15, 2016, 6:14 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #114

    TheDentedOne said: View Post
    Those were the only pics I could find also that he has both of them on. Problem is it's not in the movie. I guess I'm wanting to know if it's 501st approved without the mid coat. I would assume the anovos is 501st approved as is but I could be wrong. I just can't seem to find any other time where he has both of them on other than those two pictures. I looked at some of the Toronto exhibit pics and it seems to me it's not on in that exhibit.
    Kylo is definitely wearing it on Takodana, it's visible there. Maybe there are more scenes but the dark lighting makes it impossible to tell for sure. Promo pictures have nothing to do with the movie outfit. Often times the promo shoots depict a slightly different costume, for various reasons.
    You can read more about the midcoat topic and 501st requirements on the Sith Lord Detachment forums - there's no guarantee that the ANOVOS costume can be 501st approved but the midcoat probably won't be required for level 1 cert. Check out the CRL development thread over there.
  15. Member Since
    Jun 2016
    Messages
    28
    Jun 15, 2016, 7:16 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #115

    Oh I've read the CLR inside and out. I was just trying to shed a layer if at all possible I already have a wool twill mid coat for 501st certification. I just didn't know if it was something Kylo wore all the time with the outer coat or just whenever
  16. RPF Premium Member kalkamel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    From
    Malaysia
    Messages
    1,812
    Oct 14, 2016, 7:50 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #116

    Looking again at the video of Adam Savage wearing the Anovis ensemble, I noticed that he's wearing the midcoat under the outer robe, and it has the accurate camo like texture. I didn't know Anovos offered the midcoat aas part of the costume?
  17. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    Messages
    47
    Oct 26, 2016, 1:13 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #117

    Looking at the site it seems like this has been pushed back to Q1 2017. I should have known but still ughhh

    Hopefully they let us preorder the mid tunic soon as well.
  18. Capn_Jack_Savvy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    From
    Tortuga
    Messages
    3,996
    Oct 31, 2016, 9:51 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #118

    100% screen accurate doesn't always mean the most comfortable to wear when you don all the parts to this costume. Also to justify sweating your arse off in this $3000.00 costume makes me a little nervous. Having trooped twice in my homemade/custom non-movie accurate costume and having it dripping wet from an 10 hour wearing you might want to think twice before sending a $3000 investment to the cleaners. I'm nervous enough sending my $500 soft parts to the cleaners.
  19. Member Since
    Nov 2015
    Messages
    24
    Nov 5, 2016, 7:29 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #119

    Is it just me or in the Adam Savage's video of him wearing Kylo undercover on Comic Con outer robe and sleeves look... plasticy? I mean they look very stiff, like made from vinyl or polyester.
  20. Chicagovader's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2000
    From
    Chicago
    Messages
    427
    Nov 5, 2016, 10:33 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #120

    elgringdado said: View Post
    Is it just me or in the Adam Savage's video of him wearing Kylo undercover on Comic Con outer robe and sleeves look... plasticy? I mean they look very stiff, like made from vinyl or polyester.
    It's the coatings on the fabric making them stiff.
  21. Official Licensee RPF Premium Member Got Maul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 1999
    Messages
    1,665
    Nov 5, 2016, 9:01 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #121

    Beat me to it. It is the coating.
  22. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Messages
    1,056
    Dec 28, 2016, 6:35 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #122

    I ckecked some details on anovos costume, especially on a video on Adam Savage wearing it at comic con 2016.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anovos.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	693593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15776523_10157982358775608_1919921573_o.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	693594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anovos plis irreguliers.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	809.8 KB 
ID:	693595

    What is surprising is the irregular pleating.
    I first was thinking they copied a specific pattern, but I checked the original prop and the irregular pleating is different.
    So, I would try to get pictures of different anovos costume (here its 3 pics of the same) to seee if their pleating folloxs a specific pattern, inspirated by original prop, of if it's just random.
    If not random, seems we have to take care about it, if not, not a problem for a regular pattern on tunic, and just follow the irregular patter of original prop for sleeves.
  23. sparrowfan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Messages
    367
    Jan 29, 2017, 4:56 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #123

    looks like ANOVOS is coming with a STANDARD version of the kylo costume for 1/3 of the price.
    for someone who ordered the premier version, I can't help it but feel ripped off.
    looks like the only difference is that the belt is faux leather.

    the hood/scarf/top coat looks to be the same in appearance as the pictures of the perimer
  24. RPF Premium Member rnbuda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Messages
    559
    Jan 29, 2017, 5:45 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #124

    sparrowfan said: View Post
    looks like ANOVOS is coming with a STANDARD version of the kylo costume for 1/3 of the price.
    for someone who ordered the premier version, I can't help it but feel ripped off.
    looks like the only difference is that the belt is faux leather.

    the hood/scarf/top coat looks to be the same in appearance as the pictures of the perimer
    The fabrics and material are different but have the same patterns.

    They also had a premier and standard line for Vader.
  25. Vandark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    U.K.
    Messages
    601
    Jan 29, 2017, 6:59 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #125

    sparrowfan said: View Post
    looks like ANOVOS is coming with a STANDARD version of the kylo costume for 1/3 of the price.
    for someone who ordered the premier version, I can't help it but feel ripped off.
    looks like the only difference is that the belt is faux leather.

    the hood/scarf/top coat looks to be the same in appearance as the pictures of the perimer
    I doubt the photos are reflective of the final product.

Similar Threads

  1. Anovos Kylo Ren Helmet!!!
    benhs1898, Star Wars: Knights of Ren
    Replies: 337
    Last Post: Dec 1, 2017, 9:43 AM
  2. Kylo ren costume
    marvel1975, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 23, 2016, 4:21 PM
  3. Anovos kylo ren helmet is up!!!
    Starrfox1, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Nov 6, 2015, 11:59 AM
  4. Kylo Ren Costume
    jonahskywalker, Star Wars: Knights of Ren
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 9, 2015, 8:17 PM