The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume

I agree, they do have a price point to maintain. I guess my issue is that they are a company that claim to be the "hot shot" of this genre of costume making. To ask top dollar and to be the top tier yet turn out a product that IMO isn't on the level it should be is kind of a drag. Yes, Imperial Boots has the boots, but that's another 300 dollars on top of what they're asking.

100% agree, WTF is with the "shirt" and "midcoat."

Agreed. The time alone to wait to get this would be astronomically stupid IMO, especially if you still have one guy waiting from 2014 that posted earlier in the thread to get his stuff. If you do the research this can be build MUCH cheaper for sure and with similar if not better accuracy. Agree also on the helmet. IMO the modded BS helmet looks just as good if not better than the Anovos, and it's like 1/6th the price. I just don't get how they can charge that much with no boots, a pleather crappy neck seal, and pleather gloves that aren't even pictured. I don't know if I'm on board with the idea of how they build the costume either with the suspenders and the shirt instead of a full tunic.

What do you mean "instead of a full tunic"? It includes a full pleated tunic. The sleeves are supposed to be attached to an under shirt.

Oh, ok, I see now how they did it. They sleeves are part of an undershirt and then the tunic goes over that and the outer coat over that. The piece they're missing is the midcoat.

lol overall can you make one similar for cheaper? yes, can you make one "more accurate" for cheaper? Id have to say no at this point. No one here or anywhere else has perfected the fabric the way anovos has unless you happen to have access to the screen used suit like they did. As they have already stated here in this thread the coating on the outfit is a difficult process. $2K (or $1800 after promo code) is CHEAP coming from a company with overhead and as some of you have already said you can always use a modified BS helmet. But to be honest who gives a **** unless you are a hardcore star wars fan or planning to join the 501st no normal person is going to tell the difference or even care if its anovos or fan made outfit as long as it looks cool and you are happy with it that is all that matters.

I think Anovos did a pretty damn good job, judging purely from the prototype pictures.Oddly enough: I could swear that Kylo's sleeves looked as if they were made of leather in a few shots like the Rey interrogation scene. I'm pretty sure the sleeves are normally black, so the grey Anovos interpretation is quite interesting. Despite my concerns, I'll end up pre-ordering it because I believe that the Anovos guys are amazing at what they do... and probably cause I'm quite thick. :)
Thanks for the confidence, Global Effects and Anovos has partnered and Global is now prototyping most of what you see from Anovos. I started Global Effects in 1986 with the idea we could make more refined and better quality Costumes and Props for film, and with that 30 years, we have "some" experience with how movie stuff is made and Anovos has the experience to know what fans want. So we feel it's a pretty strong team.
Global is known the world-wide for it's highly accurate spacesuit replicas and we take the same care and pride with everything we build for Anovos. Figuring out ways to replicate unique and detailed items for the mass market is more challenging than you may realize. While our
EMU spacesuit replica can coast as much as $100,000, and has over 1200 custom made parts, it's a fare bit cheaper than the $12,000,000 (that's Million...)NASA spends. So we are working just as hard to take a costume that cost tens of thousands of dollars to create for a film and make it available to you for 5% that cost.
I know the Anovos team is limited to what they can say about the access they have to the original film items, but believe me, you have no idea how much time and thought goes into each and every product.

Oh, ok, I see now how they did it. They sleeves are part of an undershirt and then the tunic goes over that and the outer coat over that. The piece they're missing is the midcoat.

This has been discussed. Maybe it was here, or one of the other posts, but that was done because nowhere in the film does he wear the tunic, midcoat, and topcoat all at once, apparently.

This has been discussed. Maybe it was here, or one of the other posts, but that was done because nowhere in the film does he wear the tunic, midcoat, and topcoat all at once, apparently.

This makes sense, and I agree, but at the same time they're all pieces that can clearly be seen, so why not make the entire costume instead of skimping on a technicality?

This makes sense, and I agree, but at the same time they're all pieces that can clearly be seen, so why not make the entire costume instead of skimping on a technicality?
Cost.

You'd be buying another layer of custom made fabric. I'd probably run it up another $500+

Here is the thinking with the midcoat. Yes, it is not part of the anovos costume, but it was said that because it was not used for the majority of the movie they left it off. Now, this is just rumor and not 100% verified from anovos to me. I am clearly saying what was said over at the 501st. I cant see wearing a part of costume that no one has seen in full. If it is there fine, but leave it as an option in which case I think the crl from 501st will be going.

maybe the dvd will help clear the air with this midcoat thing.

As for the total cost of the kylo build, It will be well over 2k if you go with the real good fabric. I am not knocking some stuff on the internet but, you do get what you pay. I will be offering kylo soft parts soon with better material. I am just working on the size details and price points. The fabric from JJ ind is the best I have seen so far outside of anovos. It is expensive but worth it imo. The anovos price is good but the wait is killer. It can take 3-5 months with fitting and all the parts needed on your own.

I love this thread... such great comments and insight from Imgill and Kevin and others... well said and well done!

The thing that Anovos wins me over with is they tap part of my inner geek in just the right way — you know, the part that wants to be able to post on Instagram and everywhere that "I've pre-ordered" something so amazing. It makes me feel like I'm part of something. Which is EXACTLY what I know they want me to feel.

That being said... I have lived a full and long (thus far) costuming life. My parents costumed when I was a kid in the 1970s. I have made and modded and made and modded and made and modded and am at the point that if I can just buy I'm okay to pay more $$ than to have to do "anything" myself. And if I can buy it from people that have taken all the time to put in the research and make something as amazing as Anovos has then even better!

From what I've seen of the TK Anovos delivered —*and I know my stormtroopers. The Anovos TK is pretty much great right out of the box. It's too perfect (for my taste) but the new stuff in TFA is much more "perfect" to begin with: there weren't dudes smokin' weed in a warehouse painting and assembling stuff for the new film. While Imgill's points about things being "made for film" are so right on the things that are made now-a-days are way better than they were in the 1970s. The TFA troopers are a prime example.

ANYWAY... yeah... it's a lot of money, and yeah they may not ship till... um... when it next to never this year again?... BUT, I'm still kinda leaning towards doing it because I know I'll be glad I did!

Ah thanks.We will see what size it will have at the end.
I really hope that its not so big like the Rubies Version!:lol

Oh I´ve never seen the disneypark version.Do you have pics?

I too would like to see pics.

I always sort of liked the Disney stormtroopers. They were sort of like some weird alternate reality version of the white TKs —*like if I'd tried to remember them "now" from childhood without having access to photos or the films: that's what the early 1980s were like btw.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back