The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume

I loved all of the people that were like "The Black Series expensive-toy is more accurate than the Anovos 3D scanned helmet", so all of the people saying the Anovos costume isn't accurate enough are just making me giggle, because I'm pretty sure they are the same people.

A lot of homemade Kylo costumes out there may look great, but if you're going to discuss what is most accurate... it's going to be the thing that is made by people who digitally scanned the screen-used costume, and have dealt with the screen used costume IN PERSON.

I bet the Hasbrohelmet is also from Scans of the Original.And if you have the skills to update it,why the hell you wanna pay 800$ for the anovos?
For the extramoney you can buy a lot of other great props.
And I would never pay 3000$ for a Kylo Ren costume.1500$ would be the maximum.This costume has no great fiberglassarmorparts like a Vaderarmor.
Not worth so much money.But thats only my personal taste.;)

I bet the Hasbrohelmet is also from Scans of the Original.And if you have the skills to update it,why the hell you wanna pay 800$ for the anovos?
For the extramoney you can buy a lot of other great props.
And I would never pay 3000$ for a Kylo Ren costume.1500$ would be the maximum.This costume has no great fiberglassarmorparts like a Vaderarmor.
Not worth so much money.But thats only my personal taste.;)

for me, it about the authenticity, quality, feel and weight of a prop replica, as well as what it looks like. the hasbro helmet doesn't have that and can't.

all this stuff is expensive and probably IS slightly over priced, but there's just no other official options at the moment.

for me, it about the authenticity, quality, feel and weight of a prop replica, as well as what it looks like. the hasbro helmet doesn't have that and can't.

all this stuff is expensive and probably IS slightly over priced, but there's just no other official options at the moment.

From the propreplica side your right.But will be the Anovos so good at the end?
Nobody has ever seen the Anovos in Hand.You have no idea how heavy it is and no idea how good the paintjob is.You have only this high price.
It´s better from the details as the Hasbro one...ok...but is that really worth this price for a solid fiberglasscast?Not for me.
But I bet it will never has the quality like the old MR or EFX helmets...never seen shots of the padding,no papers,stand and plaques but the same price like MR/EFX.
And in this thread we talk about a costume..and a costume must only look like Kylo Ren.And if you wanna troop in the helmet you don´t want a heavy fiberglass one!;)

I think the BS one is a great base for people with modding skills...because I bet its also from the Originalmolds:

24701107il.jpg

24701114bt.jpg

Last edited:
This was a very interesting thread to read through….

First of all, I completely and totally agree that the ANOVOS is 100% screen accurate (well, maybe 98%). These people do in fact know what they're doing.

BUT. I do completely disagree with The idea that a fan cannot make a screen accurate costume, just as accurate as the ANOVOS. The only difference is, these people you're calling "fans" are not exactly just fans…. A lot of them also have access to screen used props (at least picture wise) in all-mighty HD. Trust me, I would know.

The Anovos costume is right on point price wise. You absolutely are getting what you pay for.

IF, you want to build a costume just as accurate as the ANOVOS, it is very very possible, but much more expensive than the Anovos, and takes a lot more time.

As for Luke's fabric being inaccurate, again, I disagree. I've seen comparison after comparison after comparison. Rather or not "size" wise the weave is off, or whatever, it's spot on in comparison pictures. Coating is a different story, and I've seen a lot of people really miss the target when doing theirs.

So, it comes down to three things:

Do you want a semi accurate costume for a cheaper price?

Do you want a screen accurate pre-made costume for a medium price?

Do you want a screen accurate costume made by you (and of course many others, including seamstresses, vendors, etc) for a very high price?

All of those are options, you just have to decide.

From the propreplica side your right.But will be the Anovos so good at the end?
Nobody has ever seen the Anovos in Hand.You have no idea how heavy it is and no idea how good the paintjob is.............

Nobody? I have seen it, and I have seen the 100's of reference photos of the film helmet that it is matched to. I have also seen the meticulous pouring over every detail in regards to scratches, nicks, dents, texture....
Also, as I stated earlier, to make it 100% screen accurate, you would not be happy with the quality of the product. Movie props and costumes are not that well built. In fact there have been a few times where the retail, commercially made product was used in a sequel film. (Power Ranger Morphers, Unobtainium's Pumpkin bomb, and there are others....)
But I don't want to be the one to ruin a good debate, please carry on. ;)

Nobody? I have seen it, and I have seen the 100's of reference photos of the film helmet that it is matched to. I have also seen the meticulous pouring over every detail in regards to scratches, nicks, dents, texture....
Also, as I stated earlier, to make it 100% screen accurate, you would not be happy with the quality of the product. Movie props and costumes are not that well built. In fact there have been a few times where the retail, commercially made product was used in a sequel film. (Power Ranger Morphers, Unobtainium's Pumpkin bomb, and there are others....)
But I don't want to be the one to ruin a good debate, please carry on. ;)

Something I've been really confused about since Day 1 working on a helmet that I consider to (eventually) be screen accurate is rather or not Kylo Ren's dents and dings on his helmet actually change during the film. I've seen the film now (and a few insider pics) 6 times, and I could swear that there are scratches he has on his helmet in some scenes that he does not have in others.

They very well could change. When we make a prop or costume for a film, we almost never make just one. You almost alway make multiples and not always all at the same time.
For Escape from LA we started out making only 4 suits for Kurt Russel, by the end we made nearly 30. Because of this, the first ones were hand masked with pinstripe tape and painted, by the end we had them silk screened in bulk. Many of "Snake's" jumpsuits and eye patches had different features depending on the scenes requirements. Example: We made one set of suits that were tailored differently and had spandex gussets so he could shoot basketball.
The mask for the movie "The Mask", we made 24 or 26 masks. The early ones had a depressed area on the Nasal with an engraved "L" (for Loki), it didn't film well, you couldn't see what it was, so we made a glue in disc with a bolder raised "L" that was added to the first masks we made, and was added to the others. Some were rubber, some were plastic, a couple had to float, one was super light weight so the little dog could carry it.
This is why I say it's fruitless to try to perfectly match the screen used item, because you cant really. Nor would you really want to. Just about every prop or costume we have made has something we would do differently to make it better or more durable if we had time or knew what was going to happen to it. In some cases we do change it, on set, in the dark, just to make it work. Many of these fixes are very ugly and temporary at best. (You would not believe what some of these costumes look like after the film)

The biggest factor is fabric. The original fabric doesn't exist anymore. There have been a few that have come close, including Luke's, but they still aren't right. The tunic and sleeve fabric is also incredibly difficult to find. Nobody has gotten it right yet. On top of that (literally) is the way the fabrics are coated. This has been another impossible task where some have come close, but we will likely never be able to recreate what was used on screen.

Again, in no way am I knocking your (or anyone else's) build. There are just too many unknowns right now (and likely for a very long time) to call anything screen accurate.

I see your points on this. But I really do feel that Luke's is as close as you can get to screen accurate-- and yes, even more accurate than ANOVOS'.

Both fabrics would be fine for Centurion level and all but the most anal of close analysis. But something is off about the ANOVOS one (which may just be the coating, or the studio lighting, etc).

That will give you a extra bonus from anovos!:D;)

I think Anovos did a pretty damn good job, judging purely from the prototype pictures. I have to admit that some obvious details seem to be a bit too inaccurate for that price tag: The helmet texture doesn't look like the original prop at all. It doesn't have this gunmetal/leather-like texture - at least on the prototype pictures. The robe and under tunic look fantastic. While the colour looks way too greyish, I like how tight the arms are. Oddly enough: I could swear that Kylo's sleeves looked as if they were made of leather in a few shots like the Rey interrogation scene. I'm pretty sure the sleeves are normally black, so the grey Anovos interpretation is quite interesting. Despite my concerns, I'll end up pre-ordering it because I believe that the Anovos guys are amazing at what they do... and probably cause I'm quite thick. :)
imagemcpdk.jpeg

I think Anovos did a pretty damn good job, judging purely from the prototype pictures. I have to admit that some obvious details seem to be a bit too inaccurate for that price tag: The helmet texture doesn't look like the original prop at all. It doesn't have this gunmetal/leather-like texture - at least on the prototype pictures. The robe and under tunic look fantastic. While the colour looks way too greyish, I like how tight the arms are. Oddly enough: I could swear that Kylo's sleeves looked as if they were made of leather in a few shots like the Rey interrogation scene. I'm pretty sure the sleeves are normally black, so the grey Anovos interpretation is quite interesting. Despite my concerns, I'll end up pre-ordering it because I believe that the Anovos guys are amazing at what they do... and probably cause I'm quite thick. :)
View attachment 597051

I know what u mean about the helmet texture, but I highly doubt the costume on display in the photo was screen used.

I don't know anything about Anovos quality or accuracy, but I have faith they will get it right.

can't wait to get the helmet.

I know what u mean about the helmet texture, but I highly doubt the costume on display in the photo was screen used.

I don't know anything about Anovos quality or accuracy, but I have faith they will get it right.

can't wait to get the helmet.
That's correct. Yet, it looks spot on so I'm using it as reference thanks to the lack of HD TFA screenshots. Kinda wish Anovos would deliver the helmet first, after buying the complete set - since you'll be able to enjoy it several months before me. Lucky you!

That's correct. Yet, it looks spot on so I'm using it as reference thanks to the lack of HD TFA screenshots. Kinda wish Anovos would deliver the helmet first, after buying the complete set - since you'll be able to enjoy it several months before me. Lucky you!

well, you're the lucky one getting the full costume! my visa wouldn't stretch that far! haha!

The helmet should definitely be textured like that. And the Anovos set isn't grey at all, it's black. The sleeves and under tunic are coated with wax, so it might give the appearance it's lighter in color when it is really just the wax coating reflecting the light. The outer robe is also coated in a different way, which gives it that sheen.

I also think that the texture is too heavy.But its the same on the BS helmet.
I think the problem is that they only used digital files and not a direct siliconcast from the screenused prop.
It can be that the texture is heavy like that on the digital files.
But if they sprayed lots of primer before painting on the screenused mask it looks a lot smoother after that.;)

I'm just saying. If you're paying top dollar for a costume shouldn't the pieces that are supposed to be leather actually be leather? Also, for that price shouldn't it come with boots? Still saying that neck seal looks like poop.

We all have our own level of "acceptable". I think on the main Anovos makes good stuff. BUT, it's not usually what I'd call "affordable" or 'reasonably priced", and it takes FOR-EVER to receive. that's probably why there will always be those who would rather make it themselves (myself included...I made my Husband's) and it is totally do-able for well under what they are asking if you do your research.

An area to shave off ALOT of money is to get it without the helmet and use a modded Black series. But then there are still other things to buy.

In total we've spent about $1200.00 on my husband's, including Imperial boots, a BS lightsaber and BS helmet.

But then I'm a costumer... i would always rather make it myself. some people are not... and so they now have an (expensive) option.

I'm just saying. If you're paying top dollar for a costume shouldn't the pieces that are supposed to be leather actually be leather? Also, for that price shouldn't it come with boots? Still saying that neck seal looks like poop.
I wouldn't expect that. First off Anovos has to pay for licensing fees. It's an officially licensed product after all. Then you have to consider all the R&D (3D scanning, purchasing or creating specific fabrics etc.) which went into this thing, as well as actually mass producing the costume without sacrificing quality and detail. Don't forget that they want to make a profit on this stuff when it's all said and done. Real leather would probably increase the price to a point where no one would buy that suit - just look at their Vader faux leather/real leather version and the price difference.
Looking at how most people usually are spending about 1k-1,8k on that outfit - which doesn't include the work and time you need to further customize the BS helmet and so on - it seems like a reasonable price to say the least.

The boots are missing due to some licensing issues I think? They don't have the footwear license for SW or something along those lines. The boots can be bought at imperialboots, so it's not a deal breaker. We should criticize how they handled the whole midcoat thing though.

We all have our own level of "acceptable". I think on the main Anovos makes good stuff. BUT, it's not usually what I'd call "affordable" or 'reasonably priced", and it takes FOR-EVER to receive. that's probably why there will always be those who would rather make it themselves (myself included...I made my Husband's) and it is totally do-able for well under what they are asking if you do your research.

An area to shave off ALOT of money is to get it without the helmet and use a modded Black series. But then there are still other things to buy.

In total we've spent about $1200.00 on my husband's, including Imperial boots, a BS lightsaber and BS helmet.

But then I'm a costumer... i would always rather make it myself. some people are not... and so they now have an (expensive) option.

Agreed. The time alone to wait to get this would be astronomically stupid IMO, especially if you still have one guy waiting from 2014 that posted earlier in the thread to get his stuff. If you do the research this can be build MUCH cheaper for sure and with similar if not better accuracy. Agree also on the helmet. IMO the modded BS helmet looks just as good if not better than the Anovos, and it's like 1/6th the price. I just don't get how they can charge that much with no boots, a pleather crappy neck seal, and pleather gloves that aren't even pictured. I don't know if I'm on board with the idea of how they build the costume either with the suspenders and the shirt instead of a full tunic.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back