Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Europe
    Feb 26, 2016, 5:28 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #51

I think Anovos did a pretty damn good job, judging purely from the prototype pictures. I have to admit that some obvious details seem to be a bit too inaccurate for that price tag: The helmet texture doesn't look like the original prop at all. It doesn't have this gunmetal/leather-like texture - at least on the prototype pictures. The robe and under tunic look fantastic. While the colour looks way too greyish, I like how tight the arms are. Oddly enough: I could swear that Kylo's sleeves looked as if they were made of leather in a few shots like the Rey interrogation scene. I'm pretty sure the sleeves are normally black, so the grey Anovos interpretation is quite interesting. Despite my concerns, I'll end up pre-ordering it because I believe that the Anovos guys are amazing at what they do... and probably cause I'm quite thick.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagemcpdk.jpeg 
Views:	242 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	597051
    From
    U.K.
    Feb 26, 2016, 5:35 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #52

Kain34 said: View Post
    I think Anovos did a pretty damn good job, judging purely from the prototype pictures. I have to admit that some obvious details seem to be a bit too inaccurate for that price tag: The helmet texture doesn't look like the original prop at all. It doesn't have this gunmetal/leather-like texture - at least on the prototype pictures. The robe and under tunic look fantastic. While the colour looks way too greyish, I like how tight the arms are. Oddly enough: I could swear that Kylo's sleeves looked as if they were made of leather in a few shots like the Rey interrogation scene. I'm pretty sure the sleeves are normally black, so the grey Anovos interpretation is quite interesting. Despite my concerns, I'll end up pre-ordering it because I believe that the Anovos guys are amazing at what they do... and probably cause I'm quite thick.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagemcpdk.jpeg 
Views:	242 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	597051
    I know what u mean about the helmet texture, but I highly doubt the costume on display in the photo was screen used.

I don't know anything about Anovos quality or accuracy, but I have faith they will get it right.

can't wait to get the helmet.
    From
    Europe
    Feb 26, 2016, 5:59 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #53

Vandark said: View Post
    I know what u mean about the helmet texture, but I highly doubt the costume on display in the photo was screen used.

I don't know anything about Anovos quality or accuracy, but I have faith they will get it right.

can't wait to get the helmet.
    That's correct. Yet, it looks spot on so I'm using it as reference thanks to the lack of HD TFA screenshots. Kinda wish Anovos would deliver the helmet first, after buying the complete set - since you'll be able to enjoy it several months before me. Lucky you!
    From
    U.K.
    Feb 26, 2016, 6:08 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #54

That's correct. Yet, it looks spot on so I'm using it as reference thanks to the lack of HD TFA screenshots. Kinda wish Anovos would deliver the helmet first, after buying the complete set - since you'll be able to enjoy it several months before me. Lucky you!
    well, you're the lucky one getting the full costume! my visa wouldn't stretch that far! haha!
  5. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Feb 27, 2016, 12:28 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #55

The helmet should definitely be textured like that. And the Anovos set isn't grey at all, it's black. The sleeves and under tunic are coated with wax, so it might give the appearance it's lighter in color when it is really just the wax coating reflecting the light. The outer robe is also coated in a different way, which gives it that sheen.
    From
    Germany
    Feb 27, 2016, 5:15 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #56

I also think that the texture is too heavy.But its the same on the BS helmet.
    I think the problem is that they only used digital files and not a direct siliconcast from the screenused prop.
    It can be that the texture is heavy like that on the digital files.
    But if they sprayed lots of primer before painting on the screenused mask it looks a lot smoother after that.
  7. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Feb 27, 2016, 1:13 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #57

I'm just saying. If you're paying top dollar for a costume shouldn't the pieces that are supposed to be leather actually be leather? Also, for that price shouldn't it come with boots? Still saying that neck seal looks like poop.
  8. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member kristen jones's Avatar
    From
    Flint, MI.
    Feb 27, 2016, 1:41 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #58

We all have our own level of "acceptable". I think on the main Anovos makes good stuff. BUT, it's not usually what I'd call "affordable" or 'reasonably priced", and it takes FOR-EVER to receive. that's probably why there will always be those who would rather make it themselves (myself included...I made my Husband's) and it is totally do-able for well under what they are asking if you do your research.

An area to shave off ALOT of money is to get it without the helmet and use a modded Black series. But then there are still other things to buy.

In total we've spent about $1200.00 on my husband's, including Imperial boots, a BS lightsaber and BS helmet.

But then I'm a costumer... i would always rather make it myself. some people are not... and so they now have an (expensive) option.
    From
    Europe
    Feb 27, 2016, 1:50 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #59

TheAutoTech said: View Post
    I'm just saying. If you're paying top dollar for a costume shouldn't the pieces that are supposed to be leather actually be leather? Also, for that price shouldn't it come with boots? Still saying that neck seal looks like poop.
    I wouldn't expect that. First off Anovos has to pay for licensing fees. It's an officially licensed product after all. Then you have to consider all the R&D (3D scanning, purchasing or creating specific fabrics etc.) which went into this thing, as well as actually mass producing the costume without sacrificing quality and detail. Don't forget that they want to make a profit on this stuff when it's all said and done. Real leather would probably increase the price to a point where no one would buy that suit - just look at their Vader faux leather/real leather version and the price difference.
    Looking at how most people usually are spending about 1k-1,8k on that outfit - which doesn't include the work and time you need to further customize the BS helmet and so on - it seems like a reasonable price to say the least.

The boots are missing due to some licensing issues I think? They don't have the footwear license for SW or something along those lines. The boots can be bought at imperialboots, so it's not a deal breaker. We should criticize how they handled the whole midcoat thing though.
  10. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Feb 27, 2016, 1:57 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #60

kristenhenry70 said: View Post
    We all have our own level of "acceptable". I think on the main Anovos makes good stuff. BUT, it's not usually what I'd call "affordable" or 'reasonably priced", and it takes FOR-EVER to receive. that's probably why there will always be those who would rather make it themselves (myself included...I made my Husband's) and it is totally do-able for well under what they are asking if you do your research.

An area to shave off ALOT of money is to get it without the helmet and use a modded Black series. But then there are still other things to buy.

In total we've spent about $1200.00 on my husband's, including Imperial boots, a BS lightsaber and BS helmet.

But then I'm a costumer... i would always rather make it myself. some people are not... and so they now have an (expensive) option.
    Agreed. The time alone to wait to get this would be astronomically stupid IMO, especially if you still have one guy waiting from 2014 that posted earlier in the thread to get his stuff. If you do the research this can be build MUCH cheaper for sure and with similar if not better accuracy. Agree also on the helmet. IMO the modded BS helmet looks just as good if not better than the Anovos, and it's like 1/6th the price. I just don't get how they can charge that much with no boots, a pleather crappy neck seal, and pleather gloves that aren't even pictured. I don't know if I'm on board with the idea of how they build the costume either with the suspenders and the shirt instead of a full tunic.
  11. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Feb 27, 2016, 2:00 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #61

I agree, they do have a price point to maintain. I guess my issue is that they are a company that claim to be the "hot shot" of this genre of costume making. To ask top dollar and to be the top tier yet turn out a product that IMO isn't on the level it should be is kind of a drag. Yes, Imperial Boots has the boots, but that's another 300 dollars on top of what they're asking.

100% agree, WTF is with the "shirt" and "midcoat."
  12. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Feb 27, 2016, 5:31 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #62

Agreed. The time alone to wait to get this would be astronomically stupid IMO, especially if you still have one guy waiting from 2014 that posted earlier in the thread to get his stuff. If you do the research this can be build MUCH cheaper for sure and with similar if not better accuracy. Agree also on the helmet. IMO the modded BS helmet looks just as good if not better than the Anovos, and it's like 1/6th the price. I just don't get how they can charge that much with no boots, a pleather crappy neck seal, and pleather gloves that aren't even pictured. I don't know if I'm on board with the idea of how they build the costume either with the suspenders and the shirt instead of a full tunic.
    What do you mean "instead of a full tunic"? It includes a full pleated tunic. The sleeves are supposed to be attached to an under shirt.
  13. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Feb 27, 2016, 5:36 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #63

Oh, ok, I see now how they did it. They sleeves are part of an undershirt and then the tunic goes over that and the outer coat over that. The piece they're missing is the midcoat.
  14. Cry-Lo Ren is offline Cry-Lo Ren
    Feb 27, 2016, 8:53 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #64

lol overall can you make one similar for cheaper? yes, can you make one "more accurate" for cheaper? Id have to say no at this point. No one here or anywhere else has perfected the fabric the way anovos has unless you happen to have access to the screen used suit like they did. As they have already stated here in this thread the coating on the outfit is a difficult process. $2K (or $1800 after promo code) is CHEAP coming from a company with overhead and as some of you have already said you can always use a modified BS helmet. But to be honest who gives a **** unless you are a hardcore star wars fan or planning to join the 501st no normal person is going to tell the difference or even care if its anovos or fan made outfit as long as it looks cool and you are happy with it that is all that matters.
    Feb 27, 2016, 10:15 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #65

I think Anovos did a pretty damn good job, judging purely from the prototype pictures.Oddly enough: I could swear that Kylo's sleeves looked as if they were made of leather in a few shots like the Rey interrogation scene. I'm pretty sure the sleeves are normally black, so the grey Anovos interpretation is quite interesting. Despite my concerns, I'll end up pre-ordering it because I believe that the Anovos guys are amazing at what they do... and probably cause I'm quite thick.
    Thanks for the confidence, Global Effects and Anovos has partnered and Global is now prototyping most of what you see from Anovos. I started Global Effects in 1986 with the idea we could make more refined and better quality Costumes and Props for film, and with that 30 years, we have "some" experience with how movie stuff is made and Anovos has the experience to know what fans want. So we feel it's a pretty strong team.
    Global is known the world-wide for it's highly accurate spacesuit replicas and we take the same care and pride with everything we build for Anovos. Figuring out ways to replicate unique and detailed items for the mass market is more challenging than you may realize. While our
    EMU spacesuit replica can coast as much as $100,000, and has over 1200 custom made parts, it's a fare bit cheaper than the $12,000,000 (that's Million...)NASA spends. So we are working just as hard to take a costume that cost tens of thousands of dollars to create for a film and make it available to you for 5% that cost.
    I know the Anovos team is limited to what they can say about the access they have to the original film items, but believe me, you have no idea how much time and thought goes into each and every product.
    From
    MN, United States
    Feb 29, 2016, 2:04 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #66

Oh, ok, I see now how they did it. They sleeves are part of an undershirt and then the tunic goes over that and the outer coat over that. The piece they're missing is the midcoat.
    This has been discussed. Maybe it was here, or one of the other posts, but that was done because nowhere in the film does he wear the tunic, midcoat, and topcoat all at once, apparently.
  17. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Mar 2, 2016, 1:59 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #67

joshvanrad said: View Post
    This has been discussed. Maybe it was here, or one of the other posts, but that was done because nowhere in the film does he wear the tunic, midcoat, and topcoat all at once, apparently.
    This makes sense, and I agree, but at the same time they're all pieces that can clearly be seen, so why not make the entire costume instead of skimping on a technicality?
    From
    MN, United States
    Mar 2, 2016, 2:12 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #68

This makes sense, and I agree, but at the same time they're all pieces that can clearly be seen, so why not make the entire costume instead of skimping on a technicality?
    Cost.

You'd be buying another layer of custom made fabric. I'd probably run it up another $500+
  19. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Mar 2, 2016, 5:52 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #69

joshvanrad said: View Post
    Cost.

You'd be buying another layer of custom made fabric. I'd probably run it up another $500+
    Makes sense to keep cost down I guess. But I'd think they could at least offer it?
    Mar 2, 2016, 8:47 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #70

Makes sense to keep cost down I guess. But I'd think they could at least offer it?
    But then, what would you look forward too?
  21. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Mar 3, 2016, 10:26 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #71

lmgill said: View Post
    But then, what would you look forward too?
    Haha so very true!
  22. RPF Premium Member sarge6074's Avatar
    Mar 10, 2016, 8:43 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #72

Here is the thinking with the midcoat. Yes, it is not part of the anovos costume, but it was said that because it was not used for the majority of the movie they left it off. Now, this is just rumor and not 100% verified from anovos to me. I am clearly saying what was said over at the 501st. I cant see wearing a part of costume that no one has seen in full. If it is there fine, but leave it as an option in which case I think the crl from 501st will be going.

maybe the dvd will help clear the air with this midcoat thing.
  23. RPF Premium Member sarge6074's Avatar
    Mar 10, 2016, 8:51 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #73

As for the total cost of the kylo build, It will be well over 2k if you go with the real good fabric. I am not knocking some stuff on the internet but, you do get what you pay. I will be offering kylo soft parts soon with better material. I am just working on the size details and price points. The fabric from JJ ind is the best I have seen so far outside of anovos. It is expensive but worth it imo. The anovos price is good but the wait is killer. It can take 3-5 months with fitting and all the parts needed on your own.
    From
    Albuquerque, United States
    Mar 18, 2016, 12:33 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #74

I love this thread... such great comments and insight from Imgill and Kevin and others... well said and well done!

The thing that Anovos wins me over with is they tap part of my inner geek in just the right way — you know, the part that wants to be able to post on Instagram and everywhere that "I've pre-ordered" something so amazing. It makes me feel like I'm part of something. Which is EXACTLY what I know they want me to feel.

That being said... I have lived a full and long (thus far) costuming life. My parents costumed when I was a kid in the 1970s. I have made and modded and made and modded and made and modded and am at the point that if I can just buy I'm okay to pay more $$ than to have to do "anything" myself. And if I can buy it from people that have taken all the time to put in the research and make something as amazing as Anovos has then even better!

From what I've seen of the TK Anovos delivered —*and I know my stormtroopers. The Anovos TK is pretty much great right out of the box. It's too perfect (for my taste) but the new stuff in TFA is much more "perfect" to begin with: there weren't dudes smokin' weed in a warehouse painting and assembling stuff for the new film. While Imgill's points about things being "made for film" are so right on the things that are made now-a-days are way better than they were in the 1970s. The TFA troopers are a prime example.

ANYWAY... yeah... it's a lot of money, and yeah they may not ship till... um... when it next to never this year again?... BUT, I'm still kinda leaning towards doing it because I know I'll be glad I did!
    From
    Germany
    Mar 18, 2016, 6:28 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #75

Somebody said that the Anovos helmet is idealized to match all headsizes.Is that right?