Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    MN, United States
    Feb 24, 2016, 1:42 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #26

I loved all of the people that were like "The Black Series expensive-toy is more accurate than the Anovos 3D scanned helmet", so all of the people saying the Anovos costume isn't accurate enough are just making me giggle, because I'm pretty sure they are the same people.

A lot of homemade Kylo costumes out there may look great, but if you're going to discuss what is most accurate... it's going to be the thing that is made by people who digitally scanned the screen-used costume, and have dealt with the screen used costume IN PERSON.
    Last edited by joshvanrad; Feb 24, 2016 at 3:00 PM.
  2. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Feb 24, 2016, 2:55 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #27

deserthunter said: View Post
    I have seen multiple home made ones here that look better. Right now I am at around $600 that is fabric, pants, inner tunic, gloves, boots, and helmet. Plus the $199 for the lightsaber. I will be sewing the tunics myself, I am figuring that I will be in under $2000 for once completed. And have it be movie accurate. Think $3000 is a bit excessive for it.
    I'm sure your costume will turn out looking fantastic, and you should be very proud of it. But it will not be movie accurate.
  3. Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Feb 24, 2016, 3:17 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #28

Kevin Gossett said: View Post
    I'm sure your costume will turn out looking fantastic, and you should be very proud of it. But it will not be movie accurate.
    How do you figure? As more information is put out it is easy to make necessary changes to make it more accurate. When I made my snow trooper I went as far as matching all the webbing down to the way the back pack was secured. The only people that will truly know what is the most accurate is the production crew and actors wearing the stuff.
  4. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Feb 24, 2016, 3:50 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #29

The biggest factor is fabric. The original fabric doesn't exist anymore. There have been a few that have come close, including Luke's, but they still aren't right. The tunic and sleeve fabric is also incredibly difficult to find. Nobody has gotten it right yet. On top of that (literally) is the way the fabrics are coated. This has been another impossible task where some have come close, but we will likely never be able to recreate what was used on screen.

Again, in no way am I knocking your (or anyone else's) build. There are just too many unknowns right now (and likely for a very long time) to call anything screen accurate.
    Feb 24, 2016, 3:58 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #30

I'm not sure the average person or movie fan realizes how "fluid" movie production is. How costumes and props are not what you think they are or not the same for the entire film. I have been involved in hundreds of films and TV shows over the past 35 years and it often comes down to what works on the day. (or for that shot) So the idea of contesting what is more or less accurate is a bit of a impossible thing to achieve. The number of times a costume or prop has been radically altered or quickly fixed after it get's damaged on set, is common. Also, "story line" or "plot" damage or aging on a costume is often meticulously documented with daily photos or in some cases scene by scene reference photos, taken by the wardrobe department. So what the piece looks like in one scene may be not the same in another. Some of these changes are obvious, while others are left to interpretation of the viewer or end up on the cutting room floor. Then there are the "photo shoots" either for a magazine or publicity. These are often done without the original film crew or in some cases not the original costume or prop. So using these as reference is not always a sure thing. (We rent things all the time to photographers who are shooting promo stuff for a movie, even though we didn't work on the film)
    In addition, there have been many times when we have made something for a film, and when I see it in the finished movie in the theater, I am surprise how different it (prop or costume) looks than it looked at our shop.
    Over my career, I have worked at the 3 largest prop houses in Hollywood and worked for the largest costume shop in Hollywood, I have seen hundreds of famous costumes and props, and many times they are complete pieces of crap. But on screen, they looked great. It was very disappointing to see some of my childhood favorites and realize they were completely fake or just a piece of painted wood.
    When I first started making movie props (1981) at "The Hand Prop Room", (Big LA prop house) I was told, "paint it black, the camera will never see it". Well that was the general advice, basically make the prop out of anything because the camera will only pick up so much. Well one day, Jim Cameron (a director I believe...) chewed out my boss for these really crappy looking props that the shop had made for his low budget movie called something like "The Terminator". This director had no idea what our budget had been or the amount of time we had to make these P.O.S. props for his low budget Sci-Fi film. But, I realized something that day, it doesn't make any difference what the camera "can see", because the camera doesn't sign the checks. So from that day forward I always tried to make whatever I did, look great while it was in your hand and never counted on the camera to not see the hot-glue drips or giant seam running down the back of that rubber gun.
    So be careful what you ask for, you may pay hundreds of dollars for a "piece of crap", but it will be screen accurate.... .
    From
    U.K.
    Feb 24, 2016, 4:55 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #31

great post, thanks!
  7. Cry-Lo Ren is offline Cry-Lo Ren
    Feb 24, 2016, 5:50 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #32

im not sure if it was here on the RPF or another forum but remember seeing someone start a thread of their kylo build and showing where they got all their pieces and showed that there is a seller on etsy who does 501st LV 3 kylo outfits for $1000 so that might be a option right there.
    From
    U.K.
    Feb 24, 2016, 6:20 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #33

Cry-Lo Ren said: View Post
    im not sure if it was here on the RPF or another forum but remember seeing someone start a thread of their kylo build and showing where they got all their pieces and showed that there is a seller on etsy who does 501st LV 3 kylo outfits for $1000 so that might be a option right there.
    just wondering, do 501 have inside information on the accuracy of the Kylo Ren costume or are they just going from the movie like everybody else?

if 501 are just using their eyes, why does everybody seem to think they need 501 approval?

Can't we just use our own eyes?
  9. Cry-Lo Ren is offline Cry-Lo Ren
    Feb 24, 2016, 6:34 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #34

I am guessing that they are using their eyes but then again people in the 501st have numerous connections with Lucas films even as far as some 501st members working for Lucas films so its anyone guess.

But yea I mean if you are not going for 501st approval then who cares just be a outfit that is within your budget and that you can be happy with.
    From
    U.K.
    Feb 24, 2016, 7:14 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #35

Cry-Lo Ren said: View Post
    I am guessing that they are using their eyes but then again people in the 501st have numerous connections with Lucas films even as far as some 501st members working for Lucas films so its anyone guess.

But yea I mean if you are not going for 501st approval then who cares just be a outfit that is within your budget and that you can be happy with.
    ah, thanks for the info.

so, Anovos is probably more in the know than 501 when it comes to this particular costumes accuracy?

im not really into costuming anyway...dont have the right body shape for many characters, but as long as it looks good displayed in my room, I'm fine.
  11. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Feb 24, 2016, 7:19 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #36

The 501st CRL was a bit rushed to get completed before the film's release. It was based on research compiled by people like you and me, no insider information. You'll likely see it completely overhauled in the coming months
  12. Cry-Lo Ren is offline Cry-Lo Ren
    Feb 24, 2016, 7:20 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #37

From what I heard the 2 main guys from anovos (forgot their names) are actual 501st member so im sure they are trying to get as much detail as possible and of course have to jack the price up a bit due to overhead so when you think about the 501st member spending almost $1800 on their kylo outfit and sewing it themselves $2k for a company with overhead is not bad at all.

And same here man I always wanted to be a OT stormtrooper but I am 5"4 and weigh 105 but finally said **** it and picked up a anovos trooper kit and no matter how long it take im going to make it work with my body structure and join 501st. only thing im worried about is looking like a bobble head hahah
    From
    U.K.
    Feb 24, 2016, 7:56 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #38

I think we need a 502...for people who don't 'fit' haha!

502 will be the fun group...
  14. Cry-Lo Ren is offline Cry-Lo Ren
    Feb 24, 2016, 8:06 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #39

hahaha that never stopped this guy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	596339
  15. Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Feb 24, 2016, 9:52 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #40

Imgill,
    Excellent write up. Could not agree with you more. It's is about artist interpretation of what they have seen. The fabric I have is pretty close 2x2 weave. Almost dear on. I think a lot of people would rather take pride in something they have done there self than paying a large some of money. Granted some people are not creative and just buy it. No big deal, it is all about the fun of doing it.
  16. RPF Premium Member kalkamel's Avatar
    From
    Malaysia
    Feb 25, 2016, 2:36 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #41

I agree it's very nice and accurate but its gonna hard justifying spending that much to my wife. Oh well, I'll just have to make do with my own custom built (501st approved) Kylo costume.

From
    Germany
    Feb 25, 2016, 1:28 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #42

joshvanrad said: View Post
    I loved all of the people that were like "The Black Series expensive-toy is more accurate than the Anovos 3D scanned helmet", so all of the people saying the Anovos costume isn't accurate enough are just making me giggle, because I'm pretty sure they are the same people.

A lot of homemade Kylo costumes out there may look great, but if you're going to discuss what is most accurate... it's going to be the thing that is made by people who digitally scanned the screen-used costume, and have dealt with the screen used costume IN PERSON.
    I bet the Hasbrohelmet is also from Scans of the Original.And if you have the skills to update it,why the hell you wanna pay 800$ for the anovos?
    For the extramoney you can buy a lot of other great props.
    And I would never pay 3000$ for a Kylo Ren costume.1500$ would be the maximum.This costume has no great fiberglassarmorparts like a Vaderarmor.
    Not worth so much money.But thats only my personal taste.
    From
    U.K.
    Feb 25, 2016, 2:59 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #43

Kroenen77 said: View Post
    I bet the Hasbrohelmet is also from Scans of the Original.And if you have the skills to update it,why the hell you wanna pay 800$ for the anovos?
    For the extramoney you can buy a lot of other great props.
    And I would never pay 3000$ for a Kylo Ren costume.1500$ would be the maximum.This costume has no great fiberglassarmorparts like a Vaderarmor.
    Not worth so much money.But thats only my personal taste.
    for me, it about the authenticity, quality, feel and weight of a prop replica, as well as what it looks like. the hasbro helmet doesn't have that and can't.

all this stuff is expensive and probably IS slightly over priced, but there's just no other official options at the moment.
    From
    Germany
    Feb 25, 2016, 3:31 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #44

Vandark said: View Post
    for me, it about the authenticity, quality, feel and weight of a prop replica, as well as what it looks like. the hasbro helmet doesn't have that and can't.

all this stuff is expensive and probably IS slightly over priced, but there's just no other official options at the moment.
    From the propreplica side your right.But will be the Anovos so good at the end?
    Nobody has ever seen the Anovos in Hand.You have no idea how heavy it is and no idea how good the paintjob is.You have only this high price.
    Itīs better from the details as the Hasbro one...ok...but is that really worth this price for a solid fiberglasscast?Not for me.
    But I bet it will never has the quality like the old MR or EFX helmets...never seen shots of the padding,no papers,stand and plaques but the same price like MR/EFX.
    And in this thread we talk about a costume..and a costume must only look like Kylo Ren.And if you wanna troop in the helmet you donīt want a heavy fiberglass one!

I think the BS one is a great base for people with modding skills...because I bet its also from the Originalmolds:

Last edited by Kroenen77; Feb 25, 2016 at 3:49 PM.
    From
    Atlanta
    Feb 25, 2016, 5:52 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #45

This was a very interesting thread to read through….

First of all, I completely and totally agree that the ANOVOS is 100% screen accurate (well, maybe 98%). These people do in fact know what they're doing.

BUT. I do completely disagree with The idea that a fan cannot make a screen accurate costume, just as accurate as the ANOVOS. The only difference is, these people you're calling "fans" are not exactly just fans…. A lot of them also have access to screen used props (at least picture wise) in all-mighty HD. Trust me, I would know.

The Anovos costume is right on point price wise. You absolutely are getting what you pay for.

IF, you want to build a costume just as accurate as the ANOVOS, it is very very possible, but much more expensive than the Anovos, and takes a lot more time.

As for Luke's fabric being inaccurate, again, I disagree. I've seen comparison after comparison after comparison. Rather or not "size" wise the weave is off, or whatever, it's spot on in comparison pictures. Coating is a different story, and I've seen a lot of people really miss the target when doing theirs.

So, it comes down to three things:

Do you want a semi accurate costume for a cheaper price?

Do you want a screen accurate pre-made costume for a medium price?

Do you want a screen accurate costume made by you (and of course many others, including seamstresses, vendors, etc) for a very high price?

All of those are options, you just have to decide.
    Feb 25, 2016, 6:10 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #46

Kroenen77 said: View Post
    From the propreplica side your right.But will be the Anovos so good at the end?
    Nobody has ever seen the Anovos in Hand.You have no idea how heavy it is and no idea how good the paintjob is.............
    Nobody? I have seen it, and I have seen the 100's of reference photos of the film helmet that it is matched to. I have also seen the meticulous pouring over every detail in regards to scratches, nicks, dents, texture....
    Also, as I stated earlier, to make it 100% screen accurate, you would not be happy with the quality of the product. Movie props and costumes are not that well built. In fact there have been a few times where the retail, commercially made product was used in a sequel film. (Power Ranger Morphers, Unobtainium's Pumpkin bomb, and there are others....)
    But I don't want to be the one to ruin a good debate, please carry on.
    From
    Atlanta
    Feb 25, 2016, 6:28 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #47

lmgill said: View Post
    Nobody? I have seen it, and I have seen the 100's of reference photos of the film helmet that it is matched to. I have also seen the meticulous pouring over every detail in regards to scratches, nicks, dents, texture....
    Also, as I stated earlier, to make it 100% screen accurate, you would not be happy with the quality of the product. Movie props and costumes are not that well built. In fact there have been a few times where the retail, commercially made product was used in a sequel film. (Power Ranger Morphers, Unobtainium's Pumpkin bomb, and there are others....)
    But I don't want to be the one to ruin a good debate, please carry on.
    Something I've been really confused about since Day 1 working on a helmet that I consider to (eventually) be screen accurate is rather or not Kylo Ren's dents and dings on his helmet actually change during the film. I've seen the film now (and a few insider pics) 6 times, and I could swear that there are scratches he has on his helmet in some scenes that he does not have in others.
    Feb 25, 2016, 6:47 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #48

They very well could change. When we make a prop or costume for a film, we almost never make just one. You almost alway make multiples and not always all at the same time.
    For Escape from LA we started out making only 4 suits for Kurt Russel, by the end we made nearly 30. Because of this, the first ones were hand masked with pinstripe tape and painted, by the end we had them silk screened in bulk. Many of "Snake's" jumpsuits and eye patches had different features depending on the scenes requirements. Example: We made one set of suits that were tailored differently and had spandex gussets so he could shoot basketball.
    The mask for the movie "The Mask", we made 24 or 26 masks. The early ones had a depressed area on the Nasal with an engraved "L" (for Loki), it didn't film well, you couldn't see what it was, so we made a glue in disc with a bolder raised "L" that was added to the first masks we made, and was added to the others. Some were rubber, some were plastic, a couple had to float, one was super light weight so the little dog could carry it.
    This is why I say it's fruitless to try to perfectly match the screen used item, because you cant really. Nor would you really want to. Just about every prop or costume we have made has something we would do differently to make it better or more durable if we had time or knew what was going to happen to it. In some cases we do change it, on set, in the dark, just to make it work. Many of these fixes are very ugly and temporary at best. (You would not believe what some of these costumes look like after the film)
  24. JJ Griffin is offline JJ Griffin
    Feb 26, 2016, 2:33 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #49

Kevin Gossett said: View Post
    The biggest factor is fabric. The original fabric doesn't exist anymore. There have been a few that have come close, including Luke's, but they still aren't right. The tunic and sleeve fabric is also incredibly difficult to find. Nobody has gotten it right yet. On top of that (literally) is the way the fabrics are coated. This has been another impossible task where some have come close, but we will likely never be able to recreate what was used on screen.

Again, in no way am I knocking your (or anyone else's) build. There are just too many unknowns right now (and likely for a very long time) to call anything screen accurate.
    I see your points on this. But I really do feel that Luke's is as close as you can get to screen accurate-- and yes, even more accurate than ANOVOS'.

Both fabrics would be fine for Centurion level and all but the most anal of close analysis. But something is off about the ANOVOS one (which may just be the coating, or the studio lighting, etc).
    From
    Germany
    Feb 26, 2016, 5:25 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #50

lmgill said: View Post
    That will give you a extra bonus from anovos!