*2.0 UPGRADE!! New progress on page 8!* Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread

Re: Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread

It has been a very long journey, and I've still got a little further left to go... But I've seen it.
I've had a vision. No-- a nightmare... The desert bat is coming.

image.jpeg

This thread will not die. I will finish this lifesize display even if it kills me. :D

Got a link to those goggles? They look a lot closer than mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a link to those goggles? They look a lot closer than mine!

I'm just using the cheap eBay goggles. If I could post a link here I would, but look up "T11 Goggles" or exactly the key words listed in this picture and you'll find them.

Here they are compared to I believe the model used in the film based on the rounded middle piece and thin frames.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm just using the cheap eBay goggles. If I could post a link here I would, but look up "T11 Goggles" or exactly the key words listed in this picture and you'll find them.

Here they are compared to I believe the model used in the film based on the rounded middle piece and thin frames.
View attachment 642746
View attachment 642750

Do you think smoke or clear lenses are more accurate?

Had to drive five hours round trip to pick this up and literally just got home, but a craigslist find of a lifetime.

This is a Nike "Athletic Mannequin." Standing at 6'3" with the cowl on, and a very good muscular build.. It should be the perfect base for my display. I wish the shoulders were a little larger, but I can always add to them or see how it looks under the coat. It certainly beats buying a generic mannequin and heavily modifying it if you ask me! Nike did all the work alread, may as well use it. :)

Quick cellphone shot as I have to get to bed... Will hopefully have some better photos of the mannequin as well as the cowl soon. :)

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 341

That mannequin is fantastic, bang on what you need for a build like this. Not to mention hard to come by. I have a generic sized mannequin for my tdk display and it just doesn't have the 'presence' needed for a batsuit display.

That mannequin is fantastic, bang on what you need for a build like this. Not to mention hard to come by. I have a generic sized mannequin for my tdk display and it just doesn't have the 'presence' needed for a batsuit display.

Yep, I definitely lucked out on this one. I put the suit on last night and it still needs some bulking out!! Much easier to do on this than a tiny little mannequin I hope.. Or perhaps the coat will see the muscles well enough.

In other news.. Assembling the belt (finally) coat is on order (finally) and now I've just got to deal with the gauntlets, gloves, and boots. As I said... I see the finish line. :cool

Yep, I definitely lucked out on this one. I put the suit on last night and it still needs some bulking out!! Much easier to do on this than a tiny little mannequin I hope.. Or perhaps the coat will see the muscles well enough.

In other news.. Assembling the belt (finally) coat is on order (finally) and now I've just got to deal with the gauntlets, gloves, and boots. As I said... I see the finish line. :cool

Who'd you go to for the coat in the end?

Who'd you go to for the coat in the end?

While I had been waiting for UD Replicas coat, I was also keeping my eye on one supposed to be made by a member here.. Haven't heard anything in either case, so I just ended up buying one on eBay. We'll see if I regret that in a few weeks when it arrives! :lol
It will take work and adjustments to get to the level of accuracy I'd like I'm sure, but for $160 and shipping it should work out alright and I won't feel as bad messing it up.

Feel free to message me on the book of faces as well.. Always open for a chat, and should respond relatively quicker there. :)

Tough times in the Apocalypse.. Our favorite Bat vigilante had to sell his favorite coat and gauntlets to go to trade school. He now works as a certified plumber.. Of Justice.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Obviously not the final coat, and missing a couple pieces here and there... BUT. If I do say so myself. It looks SO COOL.

That looks amazing, incredible work. Great find on that mannequin, I'm still looking for a suitable one.

Thanks very much bud! I can't recommend the Nike mannequins enough. They do pop up on eBay from time to time or even craigslist. Sports authority just went out of business so quite a few are out there. :)

Re: Mr. Mold Maker's Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread and BvS COWL SCULPT

Awesome, I'm thrilled to see it completed. Question for you. I will be getting a DOJ cowl sometime soon for display purposes. Is it better to get one in latex or urethane?

Last edited:
Re: Mr. Mold Maker's Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread and BvS COWL SCULPT

I know with latex you have to keep it out of the sun and all that, what are the rules for urethane? In order to give it the longest display life possible?

I know with latex you have to keep it out of the sun and all that, what are the rules for urethane? In order to give it the longest display life possible?

Better? I don't know. Both materials have their pros and cons. While latex needs to stay away from harsh UV light, urethane needs to stay rather temperature controlled. Urethane can get very brittle over time if exposed to heat.. Meaning for display? Keep it inside the house, by the AC. For my displays? I keep them in a cool room.. Wipe them down every once in a while with an armor all wipe to remove dust, and they've been fine. Obviously if you plan to wear it you'll need to keep the inside clean.. Be careful of rips.. Etc.

Latex tends to dry rot, where it dries up and cracks, or it becomes a gooey mess. No real way to prevent it, but latex now a days have a very long lifespan typically. It is very stretchy though and more made for wearing than urethane IMO... I could never stick a urethane cowl on my head.. Emphasis on STICK. The inside will grab to your skin and hair like a new bandaid.

Cool. Thanks for the response. I was curious. I see cowls for sale on ebay and etsy. The vast majority are made out of urethane, with a few made out of latex and was just curious about the differences.

I think the urethane cowls tend to be more screen accurate yes?

I think the urethane cowls tend to be more screen accurate yes?

Most film cowls of recent memory were foam latex.. So saying that urethane is more accurate than latex, or vice versa, seems to be a pretty moot point.

If you want a screen accurate material? Get a foam latex cowl. If you want a good display piece, get whichever cowl you like best. :)

Most film cowls of recent memory were foam latex.. So saying that urethane is more accurate than latex, or vice versa, seems to be a pretty moot point.

If you want a screen accurate material? Get a foam latex cowl. If you want a good display piece, get whichever cowl you like best. :)

These are the moments I wish I could cast cowls... I'd totally be wearing a foam latex cowl!

As I told you on FB this looks fantastic already. Can't wait to see it continue to take shape. :) In the meantime, Bats needs a monkey wrench in his hand. lol

These are the moments I wish I could cast cowls... I'd totally be wearing a foam latex cowl!

Unfortunately running foam latex is a whole different animal than running urethane or slip latex. Need a cored mold, industrial mixer, injector, and big oven for pieces like this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back