*2.0 UPGRADE!! New progress on page 8!* Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread

Re: Mr. Mold Maker's Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread and BvS COWL SCULPT

A quick step by step of what I did.

Step one.. Primer. Yes, I should have removed that fingerprint from the rounder rang. Somehow I didn't see it until it was already chromed!
image.jpeg

Step two, black paint. I used satin black.. Dries quicker than gloss black. I applied three coats wet sanding between each layer. I then used an automotive gloss to give it a nice mirror finish. Didn't take a photo of that, sorry. Here they are satin black.
image.jpeg

Step three, applying the chrome paint. I used IST's Shrapnel product, but I'm sure any high quality chrome paint would work. It's worth noting, something like Alclad or Spastix chrome, while much cheaper, may not be durable enough to withstand the aging process.
image.jpeg

The last step is giving it the aged look. I used black and brown acrylic thinned down quite heavily with WATER. I typically use 99% IPA to thin, as it flashes off much quicker, but IPA will destroy the chrome finish. You need to use water. I spray on a very heavy layer of black, and then brown (two airbrushes helps tremendously) and let it bead up on the surface. I then gently pat away some of it with a shop cloth, and mist it with a glass cleaner. I let the glass cleaner sit for about ten seconds and then pat that dry as well. If done right.. And assuming you find a glass cleaner that doesn't destroy the chrome.. You'll get something like this.
image.jpeg

I was painting on four things today, and the rang got a little bit too dark for my liking so I will be redoing the process tomorrow, hopefully leaving it a little shinier.

Hope someone finds this helpful.. I know getting nickel chrome paint right is a challenge to a lot of people. While I would absolutely not say I'm good at it or a definitive source of knowledge, I've put a lot of work and research into developing my techniques and hope you can use them yourself.

Re: Mr. Mold Maker's Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread and BvS COWL SCULPT

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

These are VERY hard to photograph! I feel like I've got the right balance of shine to grime on these to match the SDCC look.. These likely won't even be seen on the lifesize statue but why go this far and NOT make them gorgeous?

They do look tremendously nice and accurate with that finish. So you do not recommend using Alclad ? It's usually my go to brand for metallic finishes of all kind.

looks awesome man and thank you for showing how you did them. looks spot on
Thanks bud! I've been trying my best to get step by steps of things I do. Glad you enjoyed it.

They do look tremendously nice and accurate with that finish. So you do not recommend using Alclad ? It's usually my go to brand for metallic finishes of all kind.

Thanks! I am not recommending against Alclad necessarily.. Just in my experience, Alclad is very quick to wipe off of whatever surface it's painted on. I don't think it can or will hold up as well to the weathering process. Lots of water, patting, and scrubbing. If you're not super careful you could rub the Alclad right off.

It's true that I usually have problems with masking Alclad with tape, especially their high shine line. Might not be the best idea ever. I'll have to check if my store carries this Shrapnel stuff.

oh man I really like the first picture one. I know its not screen accurate but looks rad, well done.

Any ideas on what the pistol and rifle he has with him are? I didn't think he had the grenade launcher until the BvS Gotham battle. Tried looking hard when I went and saw the movie again today, but it flashes by so fast.

Ordered the Movie Tech Manual today. Hope there's lots of great info in there.

What you've got so far looks GREAT!

Any ideas on what the pistol and rifle he has with him are? I didn't think he had the grenade launcher until the BvS Gotham battle. Tried looking hard when I went and saw the movie again today, but it flashes by so fast.

Still looking for a pistol but the gun is a scar L
dd70ce6eeee3d1d6e3bbe82033c5a284.jpg

42518edce166f228c1eb2cd6a6510666.jpg

Need to paint mine still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be interesting if the pistol is a colt 1911...same pistol that killed his parents.

Is that what that is? Lol I just thought it was something written on it

Thanks... Was away today and I see it's already been answered but I definitely agree on the Scar.. The 1911 is a bit harder to say for sure, but it sure looks like it.

I bought the grenade launcher because I like toys, not for the Knightmare. :)

Hope someone finds this helpful.. I know getting nickel chrome paint right is a challenge to a lot of people. While I would absolutely not say I'm good at it or a definitive source of knowledge, I've put a lot of work and research into developing my techniques and hope you can use them yourself.

I found it helpful for sure.
They look awesome! Thanks for the photos and steps.

Update on the sculpt if anyone is curious... I was given quite a bit more reference so I am resculpting areas. Again.

I've come this far, might as well go that little bit further.

I cant wait to see more. your suits lookin great

Update on the sculpt if anyone is curious... I was given quite a bit more reference so I am resculpting areas. Again.

I've come this far, might as well go that little bit further.

Sculpting for me is a never-ending prospect. I keep changing things and changing things and changing things and then wishing I hadn't changed that last thing.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

You've not mentioned the scarf very much. What color are you going with? Did you use a store bought scarf or homemade? Amazing project! I'm attempting a Knightmare build! First time try for a build! I'm using a Jim Lee inspired cowl that supposedly came from Texas? {Until I can afford a BvS Batman cowl} But in beginning stages! Thanks for sharing your progress! Tons of info!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back