*2.0 UPGRADE!! New progress on page 8!* Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread

Re: Mr. Mold Maker's Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread and BvS COWL SCULPT

Did you use the Cosplay Chris tutorial for your big fig or just do your own thing? I picked 1 up recently. The detail is really great for the price. I'll probably do an overhaul after I've seen the movie.

I used it as reference for the cape, and seeing what comes apart and how easily.. but other than that it was just business as usual. I used oil paints for the black wash, silver to replicate the "look" of the suit in photos.. Not necessarily accurate, but it looks cool.. Then completely re-painted the flesh. I've been painting for a very long time, and while Chris and his videos are awesome, the PAINTJOB for the suit is not much "outside of the box" if that makes sense? Just a standard paint up.

I have a thread on it here. :) http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=256407

I'd definitely recommend the overhaul. Sure you can whip it up all nice and pretty.

Last edited:
Re: Mr. Mold Maker's Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread and BvS COWL SCULPT

Thank you?

Oh boy.. I don't want you to take my comment the wrong way, as I said your work and your video is awesome.

The question I was trying to answer is did I follow your tutorial? No, I didn't, except for the cape. What I was trying to say, is that it is a straight forward paint job. That's what I meant by it not being "outside of the box." I was not saying YOUR work, or YOUR videos aren't "outside of the box" and wasn't trying to insult you in any way... I'm not great at texting and sometimes when I want something to come through I miss the mark, so again, I apologise for the miscommunication.

Again, the work and vids, and you, are all awesome. Love the belt as well. My sincerest apologies man.

Last edited:

Great work..I'm watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cavedwellar Thanks bud.. Finished cowl sculpture should be posting soon. Adding the texture right now. :)

tigerstonefx on esty is now selling a set of a doj cowl, gauntlets, and glove knuckles and something I don't remember. Watched your recent video about the scam....really sorry hope this might help even though you already have his cowl and gauntlets I think.

What does this have to do with my thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

@cavedwellar Thanks bud.. Finished cowl sculpture should be posting soon. Adding the texture right now. :)

What does this have to do with my thread?
well I know Chris is looking for a new cowl since he got scammed and your making a cowl and I don't know if your gonna do a run so I'm just telling Chris there's a new option for a cowl. If you want me to take my post down I will.

well I know Chris is looking for a new cowl since he got scammed and your making a cowl and I don't know if your gonna do a run so I'm just telling Chris there's a new option for a cowl. If you want me to take my post down I will.

Sorry bud, no plans to do a run of my cowl right now. There isn't any interest to justify it. Even if I did, it would likely be too big for Chris, as I'm sculpting to to fit Ben's head... Which is huge.

Please, if you could, keep discussion of Mau5 and his cowl scam to PMs.
I don't want people opening MY thread and thinking that I'VE scammed someone, do you know what I mean?

Sorry bud, no plans to do a run of my cowl right now. There isn't any interest to justify it. Even if I did, it would likely be too big for Chris, as I'm sculpting to to fit Ben's head... Which is huge.

Please, if you could, keep discussion of Mau5 and his cowl scam to PMs.
I don't want people opening MY thread and thinking that I'VE scammed someone, do you know what I mean?
again so sorry my apologies, your work is great ! I love your kylo ren helmeny mod ! do you want me to mod my post and delete it ?

Although I understand that you're not interested in doing a run on the cowl, I think it would be a shame to not be able to share it. I have seen a lot of cowl replicas, but yours is by far the closest one I've seen. My head is no where near Ben's size, but I would definitely buy one if you did. Even if it's just for a bust. Regardless, I cannot wait to see how your cowl comes out, as well as your whole knightmare suit. This thread's been extremely helpful regarding all the specific parts of the costume.

Closest? I don't know about that, but thanks very much for your input. I will think it over. I appreciate the kind words as well.

prime3446, no worries bud. I'm glad you like my work and appreciate your comment.

image.jpeg

Zentai-Zentai did a fantastic job printing and sewing this suit. They were more than happy to answer questions along the way and shipped it lightning fast. I am completely happy with their service.

The suit itself? It's not as close to the color and pattern as I'd have liked. Everything looked great in the JPEG, but something didn't quite transfer over scaling wise I feel.
I believe I may be able to get a little closer, but in the mean time, I will do my best to modify what I've got.

Meant to upload photos of the belt pouches but I've had a very busy couple days. Texture is almost done on the cowl, hoping for good weather the next few days so I can seal it and take some photos. Waiting on Tiger Stone's gauntlets and researching the boots, but it's all just about together. :)

image.jpeg

Couldn't resist a group shot. I don't think I've shown the scarf, and I know I haven't shown the finished pouches. Hopefully I'll get better individual shots with both in the near future. :)

Small update on the cowl.. It's getting there but it's got a long way to go. It seems every time I'm happy with the look and go to "polish" and add texture.. I see something else that needs to be fixed. And then something else. And on and on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Painted it black to help me see where final changes need to be made. This is an in-between step I wouldn't usually have shared, but it looks pretty cool.

I wanted to point out I'm more than happy to receive input, suggestions, criticisms, etc. If not on the thread, I'm always a PM away!

The paint I use allows me to continue sculpting right over it, as well as press texture into, so don't worry about the textureless spots in a few areas! Once I fix a few areas on the face, I've still got to texture the rest of the head anyways, as well as true up the ears just a tad. Shouldn't take long at all.

Hopefully, fingers crossed, molding starts SOON!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 291
Last edited:

Hey, been watching your build progress a while now. Nice texture on the cowl, I'm approaching that point with my own too.

Update time. Yay.

Gauntlets arrived from the amazing Tiger Stone FX. They are absolutely beautiful. I purchased the "clean" or unpainted gauntlets and thought I'd share what I did to give them color.

image.jpeg

To start off with, here is how they came. Absolutely flawless. They go out of their way to make quality pieces and it makes them the best in the cosplay biz in my humble opinion.

Onto painting. Many people claim urethane to be one of the most difficult materials to paint... Personally, I've found that using a very special.. Secret.. product makes all the difference.
No.. I won't tell you what it is........Ok... But keep it between us.. I wouldn't want it to leak out on the Internet or something. :lol

image.jpeg

Thats right! None other than Klean Strip's BULLDOG ADHESION PROMOTER! :) Yes, at $20 a can, it is rather expensive. However.. No product I've used has come close to helping paint bond to things as vigorously as this stuff.

To use it successfully, I recommend thoroughly cleaning the piece. Mist a light coat of Bulldog AP on, and let it dry for about five minutes. Apply a second light coat. Wait at least five minutes, but no longer than 45 minutes or so.. This is the window I've found works best when painting urethane rubber.

I used a few different shades of paint, lightly airbrushing on in layers. I used a gun metal grey first, followed by my "Iron Dude Shampag'n Gold" gold mix, and topped off with a light dry brushing (sponging actually) of black. If done carefully enough, you can achieve a very interesting effect. In some lighting? The gauntlets are pure black.. In others? It's a beautiful gold. In others still? A nice gun-metal shine...

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Two more in different lighting. Really shows off the gold.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Looks great! Awesome tips for painting man! I'll have to try that adhesion promoter when I paint mine, thanks!

Looks great! Awesome tips for painting man! I'll have to try that adhesion promoter when I paint mine, thanks!

Thanks!

The Bulldog AP is definitely very worth it.. I use it on just about everything I paint now a days. Don't get talked into buying the Dupli-color adhesion promoter.. It's a lot cheaper.. In both price, but more importantly, in quality! Terrible stuff. Good luck!

Hey folks!
I am currently putting together the Apocalypse Batman costume, mainly to use as a lifesize display. If I can wear it, even better, but not a huge priority... This will come into play later.

I suppose I should start off with what I have already gathered.
At the moment the parts I've got:

Cowl. This is being done by myself. Sculpting is almost complete, molding very soon. Here is a WIP picture of the cowl. This cowl is BEN SIZE! Huge! Meaning, no, it probably won't fit you, and no, I probably won't sell any, but right now it's just too far away to say anything for sure. Please do not PM me about purchasing the cowl!
View attachment 595468

Goggles. (on the way, should be here Thursday!) Cheap $9 pair from eBay, no way I'm paying for Nanninis just to weather them. Those are TOO nice for me to ruin.
View attachment 595469

Hand Wraps. Just green cloth that I will be weathering shortly.

Boots. I have boots that will work, but I am still looking for a better set.

Green Pants. They are green, and very pant like. Also looking for better ones.

Dye Sub suit on the way soon from vendor, going to cut into just T shirt area, probably short sleeve. I ordered from Zentai-Zentai before I found out about them stealing patterns and the drama there. If this offends anyone I do apologize, but the order is already made. Cost was $93 including shipping to the US.. We'll see what that's like when it gets here! If all things go well, I'd like to upgrade this to UD Replicas jacket as I absolutely love the look of it.

Production Made emblem recast - also arriving Thursday. The final deep scratches will be added by hand once the emblem has arrived.
View attachment 595472

Emerson Combat Knee Pads.
View attachment 595470

Right-Leg Tactical Holster.
View attachment 595471

What I need:
Gloves.
Gauntlets. (Done, Tiger Stone FX)
Scarf. (Done, posting soon!)
Trench Coat/Duster
Utility Belt (Kit on the way from Cosplay Chris)

There are a few sellers that are offering very nice belts, and I'll probably pick up a kit to finish myself.
Gauntlets I'm probably going to hand sculpt as well, to match the cowl's final texture.

My plan for the lifesize is to cast a hollow resin cowl to go for that empty suit look seen in the trailer, just as the Apocalypse version. I am exploring my display options, but I'll likely just modify the cheapest mannequin I can get my hands on to work.

This thread will more or less be a build log of my progress on the costume, as well as sculpting and molding the cowl. If you are making an Apocalypse Batman costume as well, feel more than welcome to jump on. My thread is your thread! Now that the boring stuff is out of the way, the fun stuff can come....in three more days!! See you Thursday! :)

Excellent work my friend. What model style are the goggles?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back