Deagostini Build R2-D2

It probably wont be released for several months as a partwork if the test is a success.The page you linked to is just a market test.They will sell a few issues and then stop the subscription to decide if it was successful enough to launch as a partwork.

Carl

This must of been in the works for a while, so the email deagostini sent asking what Studio scale we want next is still relevant i'm guessing, probably a ways off though.

I'm not sure about this one to be honest,not sure i'd get the same enjoyment building this vs a ship if you know what mean

This must of been in the works for a while, so the email deagostini sent asking what Studio scale we want next is still relevant i'm guessing, probably a ways off though.

I'm not sure about this one to be honest,not sure i'd get the same enjoyment building this vs a ship if you know what mean

Exactly.The r2 d2 was already in development when DeAgostini sent the survey out so it wasnt on the list. Lots of good stuff to look forward to.

Carl

I've been asked by a few to test run the build but due to other work commitments l cannot... Not that bothered by a pint size version...Now a 1:1 scale....that would be an amusing postal delivery system never mind the cost!!! ;-).

Last edited:
I have to admit if I'm going to spend the kind of money to there wanting for this I would rather go to the droid builders website and make up a full size one. Also isn't this in the wrong section? .

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I have to admit if I'm going to spend the kind of money to there wanting for this I would rather go to the droid builders website and make up a full size one. Also isn't this in the wrong section? .

I originally posted it in the commercial models forum, but it seems that the mods moved it to here.
TBH, I'm surprised at the negativity to this on the RPF of all places. At 1/2 scale, it would still be a pretty decent size, and I agree that it's pricey, but there some interesting features on the finished R2. At the very least, it would make a good starting point for extra customisation, or a fun family project.
oh, well, to each his own, eh? :)

I think it's cool, but not hot on the price. I really would have liked to have seen another studio scale model come from this company.

Obviously the scale is wrong. The 1/1 scale R2 is about 1.09 m tall which would make the 1/2 version about 55 cm tall. The website states a size of about 48 cm which would be only 3 cm taller than the Hasbro Interactive R2-D2. So in effect this would be a beefed up version of the Hasbro which is available at about 150 - 200 $ (used but fully assembled and in working condition).

Obviously the scale is wrong. The 1/1 scale R2 is about 1.09 m tall which would make the 1/2 version about 55 cm tall. The website states a size of about 48 cm which would be only 3 cm taller than the Hasbro Interactive R2-D2. So in effect this would be a beefed up version of the Hasbro which is available at about 150 - 200 $ (used but fully assembled and in working condition).

The difference comes from the 2 legs and 3 legs position

Hum... If this is the case, then the Hasbro would be about 1/2 scale, too.

Just a thought: Buy a defective Hasbro for 40 $, throw out the electronics and put in the electronics of the DeAgo and have an updated Interactive R2 for a fraction of the price. ;)

EDIT: I just took a look inside issue 1. They clearly state that the original R2 is 0.96 m tall in the standing 2-feet-position. So the theory that the deviation is caused by the 2-legged / 3-legged position is wrong. The droid is too small and not 1/2 scale. UNLESS it is a printing error, of course.

Height of the original R2: http://www.r2-d2.de/index5.htm

Last edited:
Re: Build your own R2D2

Hey guys, hope you don't mind but I just wanted to point out that if you have never dealt with DeAgostini before proceed with a lot of caution. They have not been very good in the customer service department and customer relations once you’re in a subscription. There have been some legitimate questions about certain aspects of the way they've handled the MF subscriptions and instead of addressing them with reason, they seem to only be interested in keeping those questions silenced and delete them off of their customer forums. I know they can’t make every customer happy and there will always be those that ask unreasonable things. But to me, they have gone out of their way to simply ignore some somewhat serious problem areas. I'm not saying don't ever buy this kit or anything really. Just do some research and know what you may be getting into. I for one will not do business with them again, or recommend to anyone unless they seriously work on their customer relations. YMMV

Bill

Re: Build your own R2D2

I totally agree, their customer service sucks and they'll outright lie to you on the phone.
Would I deal with them again?
Maybe but it would have to be something very special.

Ok, can you be more specific. Is it with changing the design of the model or paint job, etc... or just customer service in general? I am thinking about getting the R2 and building it myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back