Deagostini Build R2-D2

Mainly my issues are with reliability of supplying parts in the time they state they will. I've had several incidences of them charging for parts, and then not delivering because of no stock. Most of my issues have been resolved, but I know of others that are still way behind on their shipments. They also alter parts as they go and offer upgrades to some customers but not others. Communication is pretty poor and when some have raised concerns about it on their forums, they are either ignored or have post removed. Again, don't think I'm telling you not to buy this kit. Just make sure you're prepared and research before you commit. If you can dealcwith some shipping issues and really want the model, go for it. Their MF really is a nice kit for the most part.

Bill

$1600 for a half sized R2?...That's pretty steep.

I built my full size one for $700. I supposed all the parts come ready to build, but jeez that's a lot of coin. I understand the falcon being expensive, because of all the intricate parts, but R2 is no where near that intricate.

Attachments

• IMG_2021.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 413
I think im into about 2K for a mostly metal R2 with used parts off of the RPF. Oh, and its 1:1.

With that said, Im a couple of issues away from the final Falcon run. I pay, they deliver......havent scoured every packet though as they are all sealed. Wish me luck.

The feature set of this is interesting, even if some seem a bit gimmicky and toy-like. You're building a proper robot more than just a model with a few electronics. The feature list is described here:

https://youtu.be/J-T69WcZpTY

I'm sort of tempted. With some proper paintwork, it looks like it could be a good small-scale replica and a fun build. I'd like to see more metal though. EDIT - looks like there are more metal parts than I thought – the metallic bits are metal in the test run. The first video I saw made them look like plastic.

Last edited:
For anyone still weighing this up, issue 1 is now online as a sample. On the front cover and page 13, you can get an idea of some of the sacrifices to engineer this (the front foot mount, the unsightly shoulder fixings and the multipart skin). You can just make out where the sections of the skin join. No sign of the foot being retractable. https://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/build-your-own-R2-D2/sfogliatura/index.html

It's a bit remiss of DeAgnostini as the main page for the model shows several shots of a more accurate model. Just compare the top image and the clickable image below it. The 'Model features' page doesn't show the final droid either, but what was presumably an early version before the compromises: https://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/build-your-own-R2-D2/index.html

I'd rather just have something as close to accurate as possible with the lights and sounds, opening hatches, all optional attachments and a retractable leg. I'd pay for that over all the extra robotics. Back to dreaming of a full size one one day!

I saw on the Model-Space FB page that it's available in the US now.

I like it, but I'm not sure the value is there...as others have said in the thread.

I just got an email that they've billed my card, can't wait to get started on this, I'm so looking forward...... I'm waiting on my last installment (#25) for the MF and
but one miss-ship, with very fast replacement, I've had a very good experience with DeAgostini. I'm not too critical of the inaccuracies that the base model has, I can easily
fix them, I look at the great foundation this gives me to go crazy improving on what I get.... I don't have room for a full size R2 so this will do. For years I though about building
a full size B-9, but had no where to put it so i just went nuts with the Moebius kit, I'll do the same with this.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr2w91rwh1w&feature=youtu.be

Sooooo, oh issue 10 happily working away, the nuts to h
old frame part DF11 don't fit into the holes on the top frame part, anyone else have this problem, don't want to have to start drilling out holes so parts fit after spending money on a kit that I was hoping would be a easyish build for a novice..

Anyone still building this? After keeping an eye on it, I'm tempted to get this as the quality looks OK and the scale would go with my BB-8.

Anyone still building this? After keeping an eye on it, I'm tempted to get this as the quality looks OK and the scale would go with my BB-8.

I am, just got notice of shipment 5 (issues 17-19) coming, I like it so far, there have been some delays with shipping but nothing too bad.....

For anyone still weighing this up, issue 1 is now online as a sample. On the front cover and page 13, you can get an idea of some of the sacrifices to engineer this ( the unsightly shoulder fixings)
!

Well it looks like the unsightly shoulder fixings aren't fixings but are ultrasonic sensors, I can live with that....

P5271340.JPGP5271342.JPGP5271343.JPG

I'm still wondering why they claim it would be 1/2 scale. It is about 5 cm taller than the Hasbro Interactive R2 from 2002. And that is definitey NOT 1/2 scale, no matter if you measure the size from the standing up or from the driving position.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back